ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

i'm stuck - what to charge?

I will likely be doing some promotional photos for a musician and i don't know what to charge him.

earlier this year i tooks some concert photos of his band and i got paid 50bucks and i probably put in 20hrs of work for it with shooting, selecting, editing and so on.

this job would be more involved, more technical -- planning, selection etc. -- but i don't want to over-charge. However, i REALLY don't want to be underpaid again. i need to eat, right?

I have a D70 with a few lenses. I'm just starting out, so i don't feel comfortable charging too much.

any advice?

thanks

Re: i'm stuck - what to charge?

I am not sure what to tell you but I wanted to say what I am doing. I am taking pictures for a wedding tomorrow...they know this is my first wedding.....I told them that I cannot guarantee anything as I have never done this before. I am charging them $100 plus all rights to the photos. That's it because I can get their pictures developed for that.......and I am primarily doing this for experience.
    I know it is a different situation but just thought I would let you know what I did and why. Good Luck!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

What I do is charge by the hour, flat rate $20.00/hr + any processing and materials used (if I use film, or get stuff printed). I keep track of my time and present them with a clearly laid out bill.

Since I am a registered business I also have to charge GST and PST (Canadian Taxes)
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    I will likely be doing some promotional photos for a musician and i don't know what to charge him.

earlier this year i tooks some concert photos of his band and i got paid 50bucks and i probably put in 20hrs of work for it with shooting, selecting, editing and so on.

this job would be more involved, more technical -- planning, selection etc. -- but i don't want to over-charge. However, i REALLY don't want to be underpaid again. i need to eat, right?

I have a D70 with a few lenses. I'm just starting out, so i don't feel comfortable charging too much.

any advice?

thanks
    This depends, are there going be a lot of print sales? Or is this going to be used for promo? If it's a promo your are going to have to figure out if your going to charge a flat rate or by the hour. Twenty hours for $50.00 is slave wages. I my self would charge a flat rate $100-$300 and about $20-$50 per 8 by 10 inch print I think that is still on the low end.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Minimum of $200 for the shoot (but more like $300-$400 to be in line), and $25 ea for 8x10

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

What's the easiest way to get turned down for a loan? Write down "musician" as your occupation... ;)

Point is, he might not have much of a budget, even with a record deal. Do you feel comfortable asking what his budget is? Charging a few hundred might mean that he asks a friend with a camera to do something quick and simple as a favor. I agree that you would be earning a few hundred, but it might be out of the question. Relying on print sales isn't a good strategy IME...

Thread Information