ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: The Magic Hours

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Post The Magic Hours

I'm sure we have all heard someone mention the magic hours when talking about the best time for photographs, especially landscapes. Early in the monrning, or late in the afternoon when the sun is low on the horizon... I was out sitting in a field this afternoon waiting for some deer to come along, when that magic light made the distant hillside come alive. It just so happened that I had taken a shot of the same hillside about a half hour before the light changed. Here are both shots. Both were taken with the same WB setting, and the only PP work I did was to pump up the shadows a little bit (the same amount to each photo.

It just goes to show that the right light, can make a HUGE differance when it comes to taking photos. These photos aren't anything steller, but for me, they are a good reminder to be patient, and wait for the light!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Magic Hours-crw_0660.jpg   The Magic Hours-crw_0681.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: The Magic Hours

I've seen many a photo that would have been so great if the photographer had waited for the right light. This is a great example. Thanx for showing it!

These things I am trying to learn. Thanks for sharing.....
    Greg

What a good illustration of the effect. Hey PJ, put a link in the learning page to this thread.

Another magic time is early pre-dawn when only the lightest things are visible in an otherwise murky world. It's hard then for me to photograph effectively though.
    ----------------------------

Very nice illustration Michael. I am guilty of getting impatient on many an image when if I had waited for the right light the whole image would have been so much nicer. Thanks for sharing this tid bit with us.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Great examples! With landscape photography, it's all about the light. You'll have better luck with a place that you're close to because you can return more often. I'd rather see a shot of maybe not the most incredible scenery but a good composition in great light. Who had the quote, "the more I shoot, the luckier I get"? Something like that...

Wow, what a great way to drive home the point. A great visual reminder to think about next time I'm out shooting something that I might be able to get at a different time of day.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

May I add another example? This one says to shoot at all hours, they all have a little bit of this "magic." Just shoot the scene at as many times as possible over as long as possible. Unfortunately I had no concept of tripods, aperture or shutter speed when i shot these, the shots got progressively blurrier, the red got really deep, then the town lights started coming on, absolutely gorgeous, I cant wait to go back to the PacNW.

With these shots, I was just "there" with a camera for the most beautiful sunset I ever saw.

This is all one sunset, no color modifications, no levels, no contrast or brightness changes, just a slight rotation on the third one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Magic Hours-pa5.jpg   The Magic Hours-pa17.jpg   The Magic Hours-sunset-only-rotated.jpg  
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thread Information