ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy Much needed inspiration and/or goading

Dear All,

First, a little background. I am now in the middle of taking a beginning photo class (Introduction to Black and White Photography). The first assignment is to just shoot a roll to show the instructor what you know about cameras and exposure. Usually I am quite quick about shooting a roll, but I have been unusually lax and uninspired with this roll . I always hate it when an assignment doesn't have any particulars. It is so uninspiring. I need something in the way of inspiration.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Much needed inspiration and/or goading

Go to the gallery and take a look around. There are a ton of pics there that should inspire you. Pick a simple subject that interests you and fire away. Could be an old pair of shoes that you're not willing to part with, or your car... This is the same assignment that I had in my basic photo class. We also had to develope our own film and make our own contact sheet. This can be a little tricky for the first time so I wouldn't spent a tone of time on the roll of film but I'm sure there is something close by the you could blow a roll of film on in no time.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Some suggestions/thoughts

Be encouraged! I don't know where you live, but sometimes winter can be more challenging as far as seasons go.

Here are a few suggestions that might help........And hopefully impress your professor/teacher. Most of these suggestions come from things I've enjoyed - and from what I've experienced since I became interested in photography about 5 years ago.

Old buildings. You can compose an initial image of the entire building, then shoot different views. For instance, some graffiti covered areas; an open window, a boarded up window; a window or door with a reflection. Try shooting when the reflections of the sun are the best - early morning or early evening before the sun goes down. And most of all, try to be creative. You could also shoot some of the area surrounding the building.

Street Photography. My favorite. If you're near a large city, walk down a main street and you usually find some very interesting people/situations. Small towns usually have interesting buildings, houses, barns (barns are great), etc.

Patterns/lines: Take a walk and look for lines or patterns. Someone once shot and posted here a large group of shopping carts all in a row - they shot from the handle of the first cart and got every cart in the line. It was an amazing photo.

Still life: At home - set up fruit, vegetables, whatever - and set it up by a window with a view - or a sun reflection - or just a blank wall (be careful of shadows - don't get too close to the wall).

One thing I would suggest is to ask yourself what you enjoy, what are your interests. Try capturing some of your interests on film. Usually these turn out the best.

I agree - it's a great idea to check the gallery here for many ideas. Some people, when bored just walk around the house and capture some wonderful images. Take a picture of yourself in a mirror - put a mirror in back of you, too. Use a flash - very interesting results!

Good luck.

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Anyplace will have a lot of great subjects; Berkeley is no exception. I was there a few years ago and would love to go back. Being a bass player, I wish I had time to go to Subway Guitars. Lots of cool stuff to shoot in there!

Since you're only asked to shoot a roll to show what you know about exposure, I wouldn't be too worried about the subject matter. If you're really comfortable with your metering technique, you could blow the instructor away with a lot of varied types of situations - post-sunset skylines, dramatic lighting, indoor low light, flash, etc. Probably best to shoot most of the roll of what you're comfortable with, and try a few situations you're not completely sure of - that will show you how you did and the instructor should be able to give you some advice.

OK, what are your other hobbies? Pick something - a guitar, for example - and shoot a roll of that guitar. Do the whole instrument, closeups, etc. Pretty soon you'll have more ideas than just 36!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    Dear All,

First, a little background. I am now in the middle of taking a beginning photo class (Introduction to Black and White Photography). The first assignment is to just shoot a roll to show the instructor what you know about cameras and exposure. Usually I am quite quick about shooting a roll, but I have been unusually lax and uninspired with this roll . I always hate it when an assignment doesn't have any particulars. It is so uninspiring. I need something in the way of inspiration.

Dzerzhinski
    Ah yes, I remember those dreaded assignments. My teacher gave those assignments to see who took pictures and who created a story. It really opens your eyes when you walk around with your camera and decide what you can do to create a story through photography - old people with really weathered faces are great for this because you always wonder what they are thinking. Kids are also great for this, when they have one of those really mischievous looks on their faces. I had a picture of a baby ripping a flower to shreads with the look of a mad scientist on her face - I cannot for the life of me find that shot since I moved 8 times since it was taken! (Hate that.). Rocking chairs lined up on a porch can tell a story, especially if there is a stormy sky behind it - makes you wonder if everyone left the porch due to the oncoming storm - of if you have one old person in a line of 12 rocking chairs on a porch - that really can get the imagination going because it can tell so many different stories to so many different people. Here is one of my black and white shots that seem to strike up imagination:

Do you get the reason for these assignments? They start out annoying, but after a while they will become your favorite. It's like doing improv in acting!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Well, I'm going to be grumpy again. I think the instructor doesn't need to know what we on the forum think is interesting photography but is looking for some insight into what YOU find interesting and just where your current level of skills is. I'd say to just take the camera to some venues you enjoy when you don't have a camera and take shots there of what you enjoy about it.

Sorry that this is probably of no real help and sounds grumpy to boot.

Talking A large thank you is in order!

Dear All,

Wow! I am amazed at the response to my little request. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to fill up on inspiration and imagination (not that there was a lack of it) from fellow photogs. A different perspective is precisely what I need going into this assignment. Thank you all for the much needed encouragement to open my eyes to the myriad of opportunities around me =) .

With the much needed inspiration behind me, I got up this morning and decided to take a walk around the neighborhood with the camera. The morning shadows are great subjects, very spidery. And at least in Colorado Springs, there is plenty of interesting vegetation (even if it is dead ) left. A very good morning walk and photo opportunity. Thank you all very much.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information