I *DID* buy a D70 today!!

Printable View

• 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
    walterick
    2 Attachment(s)
    I *DID* buy a D70 today!!
    Speed, I hope you're looking buddy!

So, this is the end of an era.

I am one of the last photographers on the planet to buy a digital SLR.

So let me just get this out of the way...

DIGITAL SUCKS IT'S THE ANTICHRIST I HATE IT GO AWAY

and...

It's nearly impossible today to have a professional workflow without it.

So, after helping our friend Natalie shoot a wedding last fall I realized that I do, indeed, need a DSLR if I am going to be shooting people and weddings. Which I am.

Film will stay around for my landscape photography and personal portrait projects.

I went shopping for DSLR's, and with the help of my mom buying me an early Christmas present I was able to pick up a Nikon D70s, a fair deal at $450 from KEH, I thought. I did a lot of research and no other camera seemed like a good deal to me. This should last me until I can reach the D3 :D

So... here it is, the end of an era of exclusive film shooting for me, and...

My first pictures posted from my own DSLR.

(self portraits, of course :wink:)
  • 12-03-2007, 03:54 AM
    another view
    Re: I *DID* buy a D70 today!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick

I was worried there for a minute... :) Congrats on the new world of DSLR shooting. I think you're right, if you want to do work like that it's really hard not to have one (or two, backup). The D70 and D70s are (I think) the only cameras they've made with 1/500 flash sync which would be great with outdoor portraits.

There are a lot of people shooting digital for client work and film for personal. Different tools for different jobs, that's all.
  • 12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
    Axle
    D70s is an excellent camera, I use one myself.

Welcome to the darkside.
  • 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM
    mjs1973
    What is the world coming to?
  • 12-03-2007, 06:32 AM
    Old Timer
    Hey a D70!!!! Digital just speeds up the whole process and opens up so many doors. I thought I would continue to shoot film when I got the D70 just like I did when I had the digital P&S before the DSLR. But no way I was so pleased with it that I haven't loaded a roll of film in a camera since April 2004. And I might add with no regrets. Although a Holga may be in my future.
  • 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
    Speed
    What The ...!!!!
    "Speed, I hope you're looking buddy!"

I'm looking, I'm looking!

Well here it is, proof that global warming is a hoax - because hell just froze over!!!

"So, this is the end of an era."

That's putting it mildly.

"I am one of the last photographers on the planet to buy a digital SLR."

Probably....

"So let me just get this out of the way...

DIGITAL SUCKS IT'S THE ANTICHRIST I HATE IT GO AWAY"

I know how you feel!!!

"and...

It's nearly impossible today to have a professional workflow without it."

Unfortunately, that is true. Worse, I've even begun to shoot in RAW! What is the world coming to?

"So, after helping our friend Natalie shoot a wedding last fall I realized that I do, indeed, need a DSLR if I am going to be shooting people and weddings. Which I am.

Film will stay around for my landscape photography and personal portrait projects.

I went shopping for DSLR's, and with the help of my mom buying me an early Christmas present I was able to pick up a Nikon D70s, a fair deal at $450 from KEH, I thought. I did a lot of research and no other camera seemed like a good deal to me. This should last me until I can reach the D3 :D

(self portraits, of course" :wink:)

All I can say is....

Congratulations buddy!

Now life as you know it is over. Buy a BIG bottle of asprin, tylenol, ibuprophen, whatever your pain reliever of choice is, because you are going to have so many headaches now. And for some things, digital still can't touch film - astrophotography comes to mind. But you are going to find that you will shoot digital a lot more than you imagined.

As for waiting for the D3, I'm with you. I want one. Don't need one, but I WANT one.
  • 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Speed, I hope you're looking buddy!

So, this is the end of an era.

I am one of the last photographers on the planet to buy a digital SLR.

DIGITAL SUCKS IT'S THE ANTICHRIST I HATE IT GO AWAY

and...

It's nearly impossible today to have a professional workflow without it.

So, after helping our friend Natalie shoot a wedding last fall I realized that I do, indeed, need a DSLR if I am going to be shooting people and weddings. Which I am.

(self portraits, of course :wink:)

Well I got a Olympus c-3030 in May of 2000, and have not used film sense, and I did upgrade to a D70 with the 18-70mm lens. But now I'm getting a 4 X 5 inch view camera ready to use. I hopefully will have something to post out of it next spring.
  • 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...LOL You were my rock, now who am I to look to?!?!?!....LOL

Quote:

...Film will stay around for my landscape photography and personal portrait projects....

I'm going to hold you to that :p You with your FM2n, and a roll of slide film, is a thing of beauty :thumbsup:
  • 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
    walterick
    Yup. I think the speed of benefit of digital here is going to be worth it for portraits and weddings, but when it comes to landscapes and posters...

<i>Vellllllviaaaaaaaa :D
  • 12-03-2007, 09:54 AM
    walterick
    Thanks! Lord Vader himself came by last night and handed me my membership card :D
  • 12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
    walterick
    1's and 0's :confused:
  • 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
    walterick
    Larry, if I stop shooting film I give you permission to come kick me in the ass!
  • 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
    walterick
    Re: What The ...!!!!
    "Well here it is, proof that global warming is a hoax - because hell just froze over!!!"

HAHAHAHA SPEED!! You crack me up!!

Yeah, the end of an era. But, life goes on. I suddenly feel the need to go finish that roll of Velvia 100 in the Mamiya just to remind myself that everything is still right with the world.

Astrophotography is a great reason to keep a film camera with a mechanical shutter around. If you ask me, film still rules in the world of nature, I just think that the benefits of an LCD review screen outway the benefit of the smooth look of film for people. One thing I forgot to say is KEH is dropping F100's for under $250 now so I might have to go pick one up for all my REAL shooting :D

And just for the record, I am staying away from the RAW button!

Thanks bud!
  • 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
    mtbbrian
    Rick, Rick, Rick...
    Just make sure that for your personal work you use "the good stuff"!
    Why the D70? I mean it's what a 3-4 year old camera?
    Money?
    Good Luck and have fun with that "THING"!
    :rolleyes: :D :p :thumbsup:
    Brian
  • 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Larry, if I stop shooting film I give you permission to come kick me in the ass!

That goes for me too, Right!
    :rolleyes: :D :p
    Brian
  • 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
    walterick
    4x5 is also on my want list! I am going to trade up my 645 for a 6x7 first and see what I can get out of that. But deep inside something tells me 4x5 (or bigger) is an inevitability.
  • 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Finally, the voice of reason! At least I know I can count on Brian...LOL I can;t take this anymore. I've loaded up the Rollei, Oly, and Canonet. Time to go play in the snow :D
  • 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM
    walterick
    Well thanks! I already gave Larry permission to kick my ass if I stop shooting film. I'll do the same for you if you ever see me out shooting landscapes with digital :wink:

Don't worry, if anything this just makes me feel like a traitor and even more likely to keep shooting film! :)
  • 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
    walterick
    Yeah, money :) Couldn't afford anything above the D70 and the D40 won't let me use my old AIS lenses. So, the D70 became my entry DSLR. Once I become wealthy shooting portraits and weddings I'll upgrade to the D3, with the D300 as a backup :)

No, forget that. I'll be shooting only film and have an exhaustive list of clients who come to me for my film specialities :D
  • 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
    walterick
    Fear not, Aaron :) My stable is still full of film ponies. And the only new cameras I see on the near horizon for me are an F100, a Mamiya 67, and eventually a 4x5 :wink: LONG LIVE FILM!!!
  • 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

I'll do the same for you if you ever see me out shooting landscapes with digital :wink:

I'll be keeping my eye out on you then man!
    :D :p
    Brian
  • 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
    photophorous
    I have a D70s, which I used almost exclusively for about 9 months until I discovered RFs. It's a great camera in a lot of ways, especially that 1/500 flash synch. But, you are right to stick with film for landscapes. I tried landscapes with it and was disappointed. For weddings or portraits, I'm sure it will work great.

Paul
  • 12-03-2007, 11:24 AM
    OldSchool
    Hey WR,

Congrats on the D70. Different tools for different jobs, eh?

One thing about the D70 (I have one) is that the images may need post processing straight off the camera. This was pointed out years ago in the D70 vs. Rebel threads. Often, the D70 images come out a little on the flat side. And, I agree. You can remedy this some by downloading custom tone curves into the D70, but some images may still need a little touch-up before they are ready for prime time.

I also suggest that you shoot RAW (.nef files). You have way more latitude rescuing parts of an image. For example, that self-portrait you shot with a friend at the top of this thread has some hot-spots created by the flash. If this was shot RAW, then it may be an easy fix. If you shot jpg, not so.

Finally, what are you using for post-processing. I highly recommend Nikon Capture. It works well with their file format. You can change in-camera settings after the fact. All changes made to the original can be undone weeks later. I do 95% of my PP work there. I only use a different package if I need to do some cloning (or something).

Have fun man!
    Tim
  • 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
    Old Timer
    You know I might have still been shooting some film if I had invested in a good film scanner back 6 or 7 years ago. But now the money for a decent scanner just isn't justified in my mind. And like Paul if I were to go back to film it would be for a good range finder or perhaps something like a Mamiya 67. Just don't think I would go back for 35 SLR work again.
  • 12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Just don't think I would go back for 35 SLR work again.

:nonod: :crazy: :frown2: :biggrin5:
  • 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
    deckcadet
    Congratulations! Welcome to the 21st century! Please be aware that your meal replacement pills will be arriving at your matter replicator terminal shortly!

:)

Seriously though, the D70 was my first DSLR, and has a very special place in my heart. We still have three in constant use at Gulliver, and they've held up very well over the years.

I think you'd still get pretty good landscape results from it if you use the right lenses and settings.

Good plan on the D3 and D300 down the line, but keep an eye out for the much rumored "D3x" with 17+MP :)
  • 12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Manual focus 35mm SLR gear is dirt cheap. I just got a razor sharp 50/1.4 for $18. At these prices you can have different kits for different purposes. I'm building a manual focus SLR kit strictly for landscapes. The RF is still my favorite, but you can't use a grad ND filter with it.

Paul
  • 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM
    another view
    Quote:

To quote him yet again... I like the idea of trying out a rangefinder (my Canon just doesn't seem to be the one for me) some day and do have a 35mm SLR but I'm not sure I'd run out and buy one either. If you're developing your own film, you might as well have a big trans or neg to work with. MF equipment can be inexpensive these days, and the per-shot cost isn't much more than 35mm. Different, and slower, method of working - not for everyone.
  • 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Welcome to the darkside.

I'm looking forward to returning to the darkSLIDE. It's fun to torment Rick. :D
  • 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    To quote him yet again... I like the idea of trying out a rangefinder (my Canon just doesn't seem to be the one for me)

What I would love to do is find a vintage Leica at a very reasonable price and you could bet I'd be loading some B&W real quick.
  • 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

What I would love to do is find a vintage Leica at a very reasonable price and you could bet I'd be loading some B&W real quick.

Define reasonable...LOL Been seeing lots of good prices on iiic's and iiif's. That what you are after?
  • 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Define reasonable...LOL Been seeing lots of good prices on iiic's and iiif's. That what you are after?

I'm not really sure what I would be willing to pay. Point me in the right direction. Maybe it's not to late for Santa.
  • 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Well, from watching Ebay, you should be able to find a good condition (cosmetically and mechanically) one, with standard lens, for $500 - $700. A little less if it needs a CLA or is in "fair" cosmetic condition.
  • 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
    adina
    Rick if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG.

I noticed a huge improvement in final images when I switched to RAW, the only thing we use JPG for is our rinky dink Elph
  • 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
    Greg McCary
    Welcome to the digital world Rick and congrats. Digital cameras certainly have plenty of benefits as you will soon see. Enjoy.......
  • 12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Rick if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG.

I noticed a huge improvement in final images when I switched to RAW, the only thing we use JPG for is our rinky dink Elph

Heck yeah, 100% approval here. There is more chance of saving a bad shot, but don't think of it that way. There are more options with the shot later - think along the lines of MF vs 35mm negatives. Well, the same except different. :)
  • 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM
    walterick
    Thanks Tim for all the great advice. I am using PS Elements at this point, so RAW is currently out of the question. I will have to look into using Nikon capture. And that's funny about needing to correct the D70 I did notice with the 2 shots I took that they needed a bump right out of the camera :) Geez I hope I don't get tired of that any time soon.

Where's my stash of Portra NC...
  • 12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
    walterick
    "if you are already going digital you may as well shoot RAW, better to start learning digital with it than to relearn when you switch from JPG."

No no no I WON'T I WON'T I WON'T!!

- kicking and screaming on floor -
  • 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM
    deckcadet
    You really should shoot RAW, what with your long film experience. While JPEGs are nice and all, RAW is the way to go especially on the D70 whose JPEG engine is somewhat out of date.

The D70 does expose to preserve highlights, so if you want to compensate for this, either dial in exposure compensation, or download a custom curve (e.g. FotoGenic Point & Shoot 0.5EV was my favorite) that will boost your curve in camera for better results.
  • 12-04-2007, 06:26 AM
    Axle
    Yes, shoot RAW. Upgrade your Photoshop! or just find a way to get Adobe Lightroom