ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Howard Stern's new photography hobby PICS

I'm a big Stern fan and recently he gave up an interest in chess to pursue a hobby in photography. He began shooting with a Nikon D7000 and has since moved up to a D3S. He has had a couple of professional gigs already in his new hobby. His most recent shots come from Whirl Magazine and the subject is--as most of the time-- his wife Beth.

Pictures - Howard Stern shoots Beth O for Whirl Magazine - National howard stern | Examiner.com

What do you guys think? I think he's pretty damn good considering he has under a year of exp!
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

Re: Howard Stern's new photography hobby PICS

Wow those really are good! I'm pretty impressed especially if hes only been doing this for less than a year.

Yeah he has a teacher and spends a ton of time doing it, because he's real into it. I was very impressed as well because he has picked it up very quickly and has a great eye for it too.
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

Meh. They are good, but take away the woman and let me see what he does. Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by daq7 View Post
    Meh. They are good, but take away the woman and let me see what he does. Seriously
    Here's a shot he's auctioning off for charity, of course no wife in the pic just a sunset over Pittsburgh.

Howard Stern's new photography hobby PICS-3f8cf63cde43c2e5dbb03054230e95de.jpg
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

It is just my opinion, of course, but that completely proves my point.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7 View Post
    It is just my opinion, of course, but that completely proves my point.
    My opinion agrees with your opinion. The auction would be for the name, not the image. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Not bad for a relative beginner, but not amazing. I think he could work on seeing...

Yeah I happen to agree with the sunset picture, surprised he picked that for the auction. Though I have seen other pictures sans the wife and he still has impressed me. If I can come across other shots of landscape or of something other then his wife I will be sure to post. I just enjoy spreading positive word about Howard because I believe he is very misunderstood to people who only know of his "antics." It is cool to have a such a notable name be a part of the photography enthusiast community.
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I'm in this camp too. While well done, they don't show much originality. But - it takes time and experience to find your genuine voice/vision.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Clipped and posterized specular greens and excessive saturation and contrast seem abundant in a lot of the images. I think the wardrobe and makeup artists worked harder than he did.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Clipped and posterized specular greens and excessive saturation and contrast seem abundant in a lot of the images. I think the wardrobe and makeup artists worked harder than he did.
    Completely agree, plus blown highlights, poor composition, dizzying angles and a huge departure from pin sharpness. Other than that, what a great photographer.
    Although he produces better images than I did the first year I picked up a camera; I first picked up a camera 40+ years ago and never had the ability to spend thousands of dollars or the time to spend hundreds of hours with instructors. There is no substitute for the training that a hundred thousand images will provide.
    It's amazing that everyone thinks they are talented photographers when asked to shoot foolproof subjects
    He should go back to chess.

I am a huge Howard Stern fan... HUGE!! But, I wont let that cloud my judgement. The man has great talent, but with regards to the photography, he is not there yet. I bought the Calander he snapped shots for the North Shore Animal League. Lots of Beth, and then there is Beth... more and more Beth.. Oh yeah, and a few dogs. He does not seem to have an eye for finding an interesting composition, at least... not yet. Really needs to get out there and take photographs, not portraits. I am still using film, and I see in his work what I see with many digital age photographers.... too much saturation and filtering with software.. things I am used to producing in a dark room.... Keep on snappin Stern, but dont get over confident yet. Get away from Beth and lets see some interesting and creative work.

Thread Information