ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Hello, everyone...

since I was able to log in, I figured I was still allowed on the site, so I thought I'd write a few lines to say hello and in hopes everyone is doing well.

My life has taken some strange twists, with the physical problems with my legs worsening, and me getting a huge promotion at work(Director at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia). So, my life has been a mixture of dealing with the constant pain, yet being "on stage" every day in an extremely busy venue that has hosted former presidents, dignitaries, and celebrities from all over the world.

Because of these two situations, my photography has pretty much come to a halt. Still a staunch film supporter, I've done some occasional work with models, a bit of commercial work for my workplace, but my passion, street photography, has come to an end, being unable to walk the streets as I did before.

I've been going through the past 10 years of my photo life and have put some of my favorite images on a site that I would be honored to have you pay a visit to... www.pbase.com/charles_hess.

Other than the above, life goes on. I do hope you are all well, shooting like crazy, and keeping cool heads around here, something I was unable to do those months ago. Take care.

Charles Hess

Re: Hello, everyone...

Charles,

Pleasure to have you back on the boards. I don't know if we met before, but sounds like you've had a blast with your job! Congrats on the promotion and nice to meet you!

Jared

Liz

Smile Welcome back Charles!

Hey there Charles Hess!

It's so good to see you on PR. I hope you will stay around. Please.

Since I've had the privilege of sharing some emails with you, I will keep this short. I've missed you every time I have posted an image on PR! I miss your wonderful way of critiquing, which always included something encouraging and uplifting - along with an intelligent insight and suggestion of improvement.

It took me a couple of years to find my nitch in photography. It was your images that inspired me to give street photography a "shot" and now that's 90% of what I do......and I love every moment of it. You're still my inspiration. I'm still praying that you will be able to get back to your street photography at some time in the future. I've perused your website - and I'm in awe of your incredible street photos.

Thanks so much for coming around, and especially for sharing so personally with us. You are spoken of often around here - always with affection. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    since I was able to log in, I figured I was still allowed on the site, so I thought I'd write a few lines to say hello and in hopes everyone is doing well.

My life has taken some strange twists, with the physical problems with my legs worsening, and me getting a huge promotion at work(Director at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia). So, my life has been a mixture of dealing with the constant pain, yet being "on stage" every day in an extremely busy venue that has hosted former presidents, dignitaries, and celebrities from all over the world.

Because of these two situations, my photography has pretty much come to a halt. Still a staunch film supporter, I've done some occasional work with models, a bit of commercial work for my workplace, but my passion, street photography, has come to an end, being unable to walk the streets as I did before.

I've been going through the past 10 years of my photo life and have put some of my favorite images on a site that I would be honored to have you pay a visit to... www.pbase.com/charles_hess.

Other than the above, life goes on. I do hope you are all well, shooting like crazy, and keeping cool heads around here, something I was unable to do those months ago. Take care.

Charles Hess

Re: Welcome back Charles!

Ditto what Liz said!! I can't tell you how delighted I am to see your name up on PR again. Allowed on the site? Are you kidding?!!!! So happy to see your post!!! Please, please keep on posting. I missed you tons.
    Lara

Re: Welcome back Charles!

Thanks, Jared, good to meet you, too, Lara, thank you, and my dear Liz, you've been a wonderful source of comfort and inspiration to me. Your kind words have kept me going at times when I was really discouraged. I still hope to some day walk the streets of NYC with you again... you can give ME some pointers, your photography has come that far. Take care.

Hey stranger!

Good to hear from you. I'll be sure to check out your portfolio and sure I'll recognize many of them from your posts here. Congratulations on the promotion, that's quite an honor to be in charge of such an important piece of our history. I am sorry to hear of your health concerns, and it's affect on your photography. But do stick around, you've been missed!

Oh, umm... one thing - the title in your profile... well, see this.

You set a high standard which I hope I follow!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hello, Charles!

Great to see you again! Sorry to hear about your health, and your lack of ability to engage your passion but it sounds like everything else in life is good for you - busy and good.

Your presense here is greatly missed, I'm sure I'm not the only one in feeling so.

Great to see you again,
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

p.s. Your gallery has rekindled my crush on April Dawn ;)
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks, guys. Steve, I'm not sure why that title is still under my name, but I'm sure you've been doing a great job keeping Liz in line(lol) and everyone on their toes. Rick, I've missed you and the rest of the 'gang'. This is probably a brief stop here for me, but I just wanted to say that I've missed the great people on PR.

Charles-
    Thanks for checking in and giving us an update. You're always welcome here. It wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for you.

I love your photos. It's nice to see a large, organized gallery. I'm glad you shared them with us. I like this one a lot: http://www.pbase.com/charles_hess/image/35226586

And your street photography is powerful.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks, P-J ... if anything, I've learned that life is fragile, and time moves on whether we want it to or not. I'm glad that PR has thrived, and glad that I was a small part in helping it along during the time I was here. The best of luck to you.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hang In There!!!

Glad to hear you are doing what you can Charles!
    Hang In There and Keep Shooting!
    We are here for you.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Hello Charles Hess!

Congrats on the good things Charles.
    It's good to see you dropping in around these parts to say hello!

Megan

Charles,

It is always a pleasure to see you post on the forum and anytime you feel like doing so, please do, even to let us know you are OK.

You have been missed enormously around here with your eye for detail and advice and I hope some day you will take that up again with us here.

May you health improve and you have a long life and your pain diminish over the near future.

It is great you have been promoted but obviously that introduces more stress and takes up more of your time.

It would be nice to see you post an occasional photo here as well, like you have done in the past.

I have probably missed you in this brief drop in, but hope you do read this message.

Take care old friend and may you live the life the way you want and need to.

Talking Welcome Back Charles!

Charles Hess
    It is so good seeing you here on the forums again. You have been missed!!!!

Sorry to hear about your health problems. We were hoping you were getting better, and would be back to 100% soon.

Mega-congratulations on your promotion!!!

Thanks for the link to your photo's. Your work has always been an inspiration to me.

I hope you have the time to drop in on us frequently. We love having your input and insight. And you're not the only dedicated film guy around either. There are lots of us still shooting Porta, and Provia, and Velvia, etc. ;-)

Take care of yourself and please stay in touch.

Robert
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Great to see your name back on the forum. Your work has always been inspiring. Your posts were one of the reason I keep coming back to PR day after day in my lurking days before I got the nerve to share a photo on the site. Great to hear from you again and grads on the job and I hope those problems don't keep you off the street for long.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Hello!

It's good to hear from you! And when we take our trip to Philly, we are stopping at your museum! Congrats on your promotion, and I'm sorry to hear that you are still having health issues.

Off to check out your gallery....

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

glad to see you back...would love to get an email address for ya. I transfered contacts from one mail to another and I think I deleted your correct email...

natalie.holl@gmail.com
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Charles Hess

Charles! Please tell me this means you will be back to stay???

We have all missed you so much. I can't tell you how many times I have thought to myself, "I wonder what CH would have to say about that."

I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your street photography. I know it must be the same as losing a limb for you, but there is much to be thankful for. I found this on www.constitutioncenter.org.... Charles Hess!!

That's awesome news dude! I am so happy for you. Sounds like a sweet gig!

Take care dude...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Hey there...

Thanks for the update, Charles...

As you've discovered, life often ends up being a "mixed bag" of good and bad things to deal with, so I'll simply say congrats on your great success, and good luck dealing with your physical challenges.

Oh, and please try to find time for your photography. There are still a lot of folks here that enjoy sharing your vision...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Charles,

Thanks for giving us an update. I always wonder how you are doing and hope that your medical issues are improving. Sorry to hear about your problems there. I live with someone who has chronic pain and I know how draining that can be both emotionally and physically. I hope that your work is fulfilling and not just stressful. Thank also for taking the time to post some images. They are always inspirationial.

Drop us a line any time - based on the response to your email, you can see how missed you are!

2k2s

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Hi Charles,

Glad to see you back if only for a day - you are greatly missed around here!

Take care,

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Freddie Hubbard dittos to Charles Hess!

Knoclue

Nice to see you check in! You definately have been missed. It was almost like empty-nest syndrom. Congrats on your new job and I hope your health will continue to improve.

Thread Information