ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ever enter a photo contest?

Just curious. I subscibe to a couple of photo magazines and they are always having contests for the readers. It's not just the photo mags that do it, travel mags also have them quite frequently and I'm sure there are tons of them on the web. I have often been tempted to submit something to some of these contests, but never have... I think I would be more inclined to submit something to a local or regional magazine vs a national or international one, but maybe that's just me.

So have any of you ever entered your work in one of these contests? If so, what was your experience like? Did you get any usefull feedback on your work, or maybe even win something?

Just wondering what your take is on these contests, so lets hear your thoughts.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Ever enter a photo contest?

I got a first prize in the first contest I entered. I'm guessing it was pretty small in numbers - Outdoor Illinois magazine, put out by the DNR a couple of years ago. The prizes were pretty small and of the shots I submitted (8 or 10, maybe), they took the one I almost considered as an afterthought but I had just gotten it back from the lab and figured why not... OTOH, I have entered a few since with what I thought were really good shots and came away empty handed. Never know what they're looking for (especially looking at some of the winners!).

My main concern with some contests is that they're just out for free photography. Read the terms and rules carefully - but with some you're giving them free reign to do what they want with any of the images you submit, winner or not. I don't enter those (period). The DNR and some magazines have pretty legit contests, and I like the challenge of looking thru my work and coming up with an entry I'm proud of.

Give it a shot, you'll never know if you don't enter!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Just curious. I subscibe to a couple of photo magazines and they are always having contests for the readers. It's not just the photo mags that do it, travel mags also have them quite frequently and I'm sure there are tons of them on the web. I have often been tempted to submit something to some of these contests, but never have... I think I would be more inclined to submit something to a local or regional magazine vs a national or international one, but maybe that's just me.

So have any of you ever entered your work in one of these contests? If so, what was your experience like? Did you get any usefull feedback on your work, or maybe even win something?

Just wondering what your take is on these contests, so lets hear your thoughts.

I've entered several, and I've never gotten any feedback on any of them. If you're after feedback, the critique forum is a much better venue.

Like Another View stated, check the rules carefully. Don't just give away your work. And be sure you know what they are after, to increase your chances of winning. By all means enter - you can't win if you don't enter!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with these guys. Entered a few and never heard back. Assumed my entries are being used somehwere for their advertising now lol. I'd say go for it, you at least have to say you gave it your best. Just read the fine print.

GL

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I recently entered my first (and so far only) competition, which was run by the BBC called 'A Digital Picture of Britain'.

Was delighted to win my category with a shot I first posted on here a while back. I got £500 worth of vouchers to spend on photographic equipment, so my Sony V3 is now accompanied by a shiny new Canon 350D. Now if I could just win myself enough for some extra lenses, a bit more memory, perhaps a Manfrotto tripod...

:-)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I was reading the Jan. 2005 issue of Popular Photography & Imaging the other day. They had a section in the magazine showcasing the winners of their 11th Annual Inernational Photo Contest. The 1st place photo in the Nature category is a photo of a caterpillar taken by Valery Novakhatny.
    The photo is called Garden Caterpillar. Fast forward to the December 2005 issue, and that same photo is being used in an add for Canon Macro lenses. I guess it pays to enter these contests.

On a side note: the pick was taken with a Nikon D70 and 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D Nikkor lens according to the caption under the photo in the January issue.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 11-17-2005 at 08:07 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    same photo is being used in an add for Canon Macro lenses... On a side note: the pick was taken with a Nikon D70 and 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D Nikkor lens according to the caption under the photo in the January issue.
    That's funny - but probably not the only time it's ever happened, too. I had that lens, and the macro isn't bad for an all-purpose lens, but it's nothing like a real macro either...

I usually enter the National Geographic Traveler photo contest, which is free. This year I entered the PDN travel and landscape photography contest with three entries. You have to pay to enter this contest, but PDN is well known so I didn't feel like I was handing over a blank check.

My advice is to always look at the fine print and make sure that you are not signing your copyrights away.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I've entered a couple, mainly on-line and have never heard a word either way. Sometimes I'll post a picture on a couple different forums for critiques, but I never hear a word there either. Either people are looking for specific subjects, or just blow by my stuff without a glance. I'll post pictures here from time to time, but hardly ever get a word out of anyone. Kind of ticks you off when you ask for some input, and nobody cares. Makes you feel like what's the point of entering a contest if you can't even get a rise out of people on your forum. A lot of the folks here have relationships built up with other regulars, so they pay more attention to those pictures than others. Tends to make you feel ignored.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    A lot of the folks here have relationships built up with other regulars, so they pay more attention to those pictures than others. Tends to make you feel ignored.
    I suppose I'm guilty to a point, but I always do try to comment on someone's work that I've never commented on before. I'm rarely over in critique forum, but I'll be back at PR a little bit more now. Just wondering - do you post and just ask for feedback, or ask for specific feedback? Sometimes asking "So what do you think?" might put people off a bit. Maybe if you ask a more pointed question (you may already do this, sorry if that's the case) like "What do you think about the composition?" you might get more of a response. If you're specific in the kind of information you're looking for, more people might be persuaded to reply.

megan

Oh Gosh!!! The picture with insects is so terrific.i would give the first place to that one. donno why but it just impressed me indeed. ur new to this thing urself but what could the criteria be? i think the insect one will win.and its incredible that the pic was taken with a fone.

[QUOTE=nbaki82]Hey!!!
    I have entered a photo contest run by Nokia calles See New. The idea is to upload up to 5 pictures taken with a camera phone and then wait for the results as always. The deadline for it is end of Feb I think. The prizes are awesome and I am deep inside really hoping to be a winer. This is the first contest I am entering into. Can anyone tell me if they heard of the See New anything. Is it realistic to hope for anything?

I also wanted to share with ya'll some pictures from the competition to create an idea of what kind of photos are competing there.

Thread Information