ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Wachovia Spectrum - photography okay?

Hey all,

Going to be attending an event at the Wachovia Spectrum here in philly in a couple weeks, and would love to bring the camera (Monster truck show).

On the site for ticketmaster/wachovia spectrum, it says no photography/video recording.

On the event's page, it only says no video cameras, nothing about still photography.

On the tv commercials for the events, there are flashes going off all over the place, clearly from cameras.

Who do I believe? I'm somewhat concerned since I have a "real" camera, a DSLR which isn't exactly something I can shove in a pocket and have the admissions people "look the other way" if that's what is going on. Anyone have any experience at the Spectrum?

I'm googling but am not finding what I want. Going to try to find a number to call too, but figured I'd try here.....

Thanks all,

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Wachovia Spectrum - photography okay?

Bring your camera. If anyone asks say you're press and give the name of your local paper, or make one up. If you look/act the part...no one will question you.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

You're best to call and find out first. Even then - a local outdoor concert allowed still photography (called first to verify). I brought in my usual bag with a few lenses, etc and it was searched. Since it was still, they let me in just fine. When the headliner (Allman Brothers) went on, I was threatened with having my camera confiscated if I took a shot with it. Couldn't get close enough to get anything worth risking it and ended up leaving after a couple songs.

I doubt something like that would happen here - changing the rules half way thru the event. Concert promoters tend to be a lot more worried about this than most other types of events.

Whelp - for the official word, I spoke with a very nice woman via telephone. She said no video cameras is the only rule. The no camera thing is for concerts only, family shows/sports allow cameras (as noted above).

I clarified that I don't have a "pocket camera" and she said that as long as it won't obstruct anyone's view that it's fine. I told her it'll be around my neck, no tripods or anything fancy, she said it should be peachy.

Thanks all, and hope this helps others in the future. My 20D + 24-70L should have a blast. Wish I had something a little longer, but the f2.8 will be dandy indoors, especially with the low noise at ISO 800-1600 that this camera produces.

Camera rules are all over the place at venues. I just shot some gymnastics at the University of Florida and when I asked the ticket taker: "What's the rule on cameras?" she said "No photography allowed." So I go in and everyone has a camera and is taking pcitures. Before the event the annoucer came on and said no flash and asked everyone to take out their cameras and shoot a pic to be sure no flash.

I've shot at pro baseball and football stadiums without complaint. Broadway shows will have you drawn and quartered, though.

Friday night at Monster Jam was a blast and a half. I wish it was outside, or in a larger facility so the trucks could do more damage, but this was fun all the same.

I was stopped at the door for having a camera. The guy got out the walkie-talkie, and I said "I called prior to coming here, and I was told that as long as I don't have a video camera or something that will obstruct someone's view, that I can bring what I have."

He kept talking on the handset, and I told him again that it was NOT a video camera, and held it in front of him. He finally let me by, not sure if he gave up on me, or realized that it was not a video camera.

Here's a few I grabbed. ISO was cranked up to 1600, lens wide open at f2.8, and actually most pics were taken around 50mm (1.6 crop though).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wachovia Spectrum - photography okay?-gravediggerair.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well done, and full marks for persistence !

That first picture is awesome. I have no idea how he's getting out of that for a landing !

I don't care if it's a sport or not, it's Action !!
    Do you have any more to post over in the Sports forum?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Head over now, I'm getting them ready for posting. I have a sequence of Gravedigger going up vertical, he landed on the rear "bumper" of the truck, stopped dead, then fell forward. I was hoping for a rollover, but no luck....

Be up in 5 minutes......

Thread Information