ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: I got screwed

Angry I got screwed

Some magazine writer took credit for my photos in his article. Here's the background. The mag was writing a "how-to" artice for harley owners on changing their fork springs and needed phots. So, poeple at work knowing I'm into photography asked if I'd do the photos. I agreed, and spent a couple hours of my day shooting a co-worker chaning forksprings, and then a couple of hours at home post processing and selecting the best ones. Now finally the magazine comes into print and it has him taking full credit for the photos! In all fairness, the writer should have left the photo credit blank, or at least say "photos supplied by Progressive Suspension" since I did the work on the clock. It just makes me mad. My first photos in print and the credit goes to some guy that never even came by our shop. There's nothing I can do about it either. They did the article for us for free so to them they are doing us a big favor, and articles like the are what generate a ton of business for us. Next time I take photos for a magazine, I'll make sure to do it on my own time and try as I might to get full credit for them.

On a postive note, they printed the photos in color and I think they look pretty good. In anyone in interested, check out the March '06 V-Twin magazine on page 16.

BM

Re: I got screwed

You said the writer took credit. Does that mean the article said something like, "Story and photos by XXXX"

If that's the case, you have a legitimate gripe and you should follow up with the magazine. Magazines don't want heat from photographers so they should be willing to listen and print a correction. I'd also talk to the writer. It's possible that there was a misunderstanding at the magazine if the writer delivered the text and photos. Regardless, I expect that if you approach this correctly you'll be able to get some credit. It might even be an opening to get some photo work from the magazine.

For advice on how to handle this you might also post on the Business and Law forum.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: I got screwed

From my experience, it may just be an error on someone's part. I had the reverse happen to me - I supplied photographs to someone I knew who was writing a magazine article. He submitted the story, a couple of his own images and several of mine. All of the images, including the cover shot, were credited to me - and I didn't take the cover shot.

It would certainly be worth asking the writer first and magazine second what happened; they could print a correction in their next copy but it's just not the same...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    From my experience, it may just be an error on someone's part...
    That's my guess. We shouldn't always assume these mix-ups are calculated by folks trying to screw someone else out of credit...

When a magazine piece gets published, both the copy as well as artwork goes across multiple desks and gets the stamp of sometimes a "food chain" of people.

The folks that are responsible for things like by-lines and photo credits have to deal with a lot more than just that one article, and it's usually an assembly-like production.

They look at what information's been given to them, and if they don't see anything to the contrary, sometimes make assumptions such as the story and pictures being done by the same person because that person dropped them both off.

Truth is, it's up to the photographer to make sure the correct photo credit info is supplied to the publication. Following up with a call to the copy or photo editor just to be sure is a good idea, too.

And yes, Steve's right. Letting them know about the mistake often results in a correction in the next issue...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Agree...

PJ- Yeah, it says "Photos: John Sullivan", the author of the artice.

Maybe it is just a mixup. It still sucks, but I don't think I have a leg to stand on. I took the photos on company time, while getting paid by the company, and the article was writting as a favor to us by this person who I'm told is a big shot for such-and-such publications (don't remember the publication's name, whoever produces V-Twin) and if I make a stink out of it, it could be bad for my company as far as getting future articles goes. Nothing is copyrighted either. Anyone read V-Twin magazine? I'll try to get the author's or someone's contact information and write a very polite email.

Thanks.

BM

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    and if I make a stink out of it...
    Don't make a stink out of it. Just contact the writer and the magazine, point out the error, and politely request a correction in the next issue. I don't think anyone will be upset. In fact, they'll probably be eager to help. Most people in the publishing business have a lot of respect for copyright issues.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Anyone read V-Twin magazine?
    Thanks.

BM

I use to read V-Twin! I use to subscribe to a couple of biker mags and read them all, cover to cover. I still have them in a box in the basement. Then I got my Harley and I stopped getting them because riding is a lot funner than reading about riding.

I think the others have given you some good advice. Give them a call and see what they say. If nothing comes of it, at least you tried.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information