• 02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
    KyRain
    Greg McCary in serious accident
    Hi, my name is Nora. I am Greg's wife. Greg was injured Sunday afternoon while taking
    pictures of a bridge. He fell approx 25 feet and seriously injured his back. He was airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center and is intensive care unit. He is stabilized and not paralyzed.
    Thank God for that. He has multiple fractures that start at the top of his spine to the end and a contusion on his lung. As many of you know Greg has already dealt with two back surgeries prior to this due to disc problems.

This site has meant a great deal to Greg and I know he has made many friendships here. I know there are some here who would want to know. Any encouraging words will mean a lot to him. I will print them and see to it he gets them. Please remember Greg in your prayers. I will keep you all updated. Thank you. Nora

MODERATORS EDIT: There is a donation fund running in Greg's name for anyone who would like to contribute. For more information on Greg's fund, please click <a href="http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=52064">here.</a>
  • 02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
    Didache
    Re: Greg McCary in serious accident
    Oh no - I am so, so sorry :(

Greg is in my prayers and will remain so until he is fit and well again. He is a great friend of this forum and a lovely, encouraging guy as well as a great photographer. He will be sadly missed until he is able to return which I pray will be as soon as possible.

Nora - prayers for you too.

God bless all of you
    Mike
  • 02-02-2009, 01:51 AM
    susaan
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank you for letting us know,please update as is convenient.
    His kindness and encouragement ,and unique view of the world has taught me much.
    Of course he and all his family will be in my family's prayers,-we wish him a speedy and total recovery.
  • 02-02-2009, 02:15 AM
    Wild Wassa
    Nora, I'm very sorry for both you and Greg to be reading about this accident.

Although I do not know Greg apart from the Forum, I have the highest regard for his work and his generosity as a senior member here. Greg's photographs have a sensibility posessed by only the best of artists.

Greg, I wish you the speediest of complete recoveries Mate.

I certainly look forward to you returning bigger, better and stronger than ever.

I remember reading about the American photographer Dean Brown falling when I first started studying photography and Brown told those who were attempting to rescue him, "Save the film."

Well Greg, I wonder how many have been injured persuing a special image... but did your rescuers save the image?

It is good to know that they saved you firstly though.

All the best to you Mate.

Warren.
  • 02-02-2009, 03:35 AM
    Frog
    My prayers for Greg and you too, Nora.
    Greg is one of many photographers who have inspired me to be better and I've always admired his work.
    Tell him frog says he's praying for him.
  • 02-02-2009, 04:13 AM
    danic
    All the best Greg! I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for your family.
  • 02-02-2009, 04:29 AM
    Abiciriderback
    Nora
    I'm so sorry to hear of Greg accident, but at the same time so glad to hear he is not paralyzed. Greg and you will be in my daily thoughts and prayers.
    Wishing and praying for a speedy 100% recovery for Greg.

Ray Still
  • 02-02-2009, 04:49 AM
    Loupey
    Greg, so sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident.

Have some comfort in that you are under good medical care and that you have the support of many friends around the world.

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. Your family, friends, and photography await your discharge.
  • 02-02-2009, 05:04 AM
    jetrim
    Greg & Nora,
    Not sure what to say other than that I'm shocked by the news and so very sorry for this tragedy. You'll both remain in our thoughts and although the recovery process feels like it is never never fast enough, my hope is that it'll be relatively quick. Always hate to hear of bad things happening to good people. Nora, I know this must be as tough on you mentally as it is on Greg physically. Both of you try to stay strong and know that it will get better.

Jim
  • 02-02-2009, 05:49 AM
    Franglais
    1 Attachment(s)
    Get well soon Greg. We need you to speak up for Olympus.

An anecdote - I just spend the morning in hospital for a regular check-up - which needed a general anesthetic so I had my own room to recover in. This is the view from my room on arrival at 8am - a sudden snowfall paralysed all the area, I had to wait for ages till the staff got in and got things going.

(Photo done on my mobile phone - 3Mpix HTC Touch Diamond).
  • 02-02-2009, 06:11 AM
    Grandpaw
    Nora, thanks for letting us know about Greg's misfortune. I am glad there is good news mixed in with the bad. Not being paralyzed is a very positive thing so try and keep your spirits up and concentrate on the positive things in this experience and know that both of you will be in my prayers. May he have a fast and complete recovery, Jeff "grandpaw"
  • 02-02-2009, 06:14 AM
    Liz
    Dear Greg and Nora,

Thank you Nora for sharing with us about Greg's accident. I'm very sorry to hear this, and I will keep both of you in my prayers - most especially for a full and speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on Greg's progress.

Greg - Remember that you have a lot of friends here at PR and we will miss you while you're recuperating. I'm so glad that Nora let us know about your accident so we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers. We're here to encourage and support you especially during this challenge you have right now.

God bless you.

Liz
  • 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM
    Old Timer
    Greg has been one of the most active and respected member of our community the last few years, thanks for let us know about his accident Nora. I join with the whole PR family in wishing Greg a speedy and a complete recovery. I like so many more here on PR will keep Greg in my thoughts and prayers until this ordeal is over.
  • 02-02-2009, 06:20 AM
    OldClicker
    Speedy recovery Greg. - Terry
  • 02-02-2009, 06:44 AM
    mjs1973
    Thinking of you Greg and Nora!
  • 02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
    EOSThree
    Get well soon Greg.
  • 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Oh no!

Good luck my friend, I'll see you when you get back! All my best!

And don't eat the hospital food if possible, I think they use it to keep the guests from getting better...
  • 02-02-2009, 07:38 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Hey guys, I just got off the phone with the hospital and since he's in ICU, he can't receive flowers or gifts. However they do have a free "Cheer Card" service if anyone wants to send along their thoughts and prayers to him. Here is a link for those interested:

http://www.atlantamedcenter.com/CWS/...language=en-US
  • 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM
    Don Kondra
    Tried to send a card but my email address apparently is a "invalid format", sigh...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Greg and Nora. Speedy recovery.

Cheers, Don
  • 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
    readingr
    Nora, Greg,

Thanks for letting us know the sad news. I'll be thinking of him and you and I wish him a quick recovery. Please try and keep us up to date with progress when you get a free moment.

Just tell Greg that I will miss his critiques and his photographs which are always insightful.

All the Best

Roger R.
  • 02-02-2009, 08:18 AM
    starriderrick
    Thank you Nora for letting us know.

Greg has been an inspiration to me,many others since 2006.As I am saddened by this bad news... I will think about the good AND,I am positive he will be O.k., WE ALL wish him a speedy recovery . Thoughts, prayers to you, Greg, the family.

Rick
  • 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
    jorgemonkey
    Wow, get better soon!

I always loved seeing Gregs threads since it reminds me of when I lived in AL for a couple years.
  • 02-02-2009, 08:39 AM
    Dylan8i
    What awful news! Hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.

between loupey (breaking his arm) and now this i think i may stay in for a while.
  • 02-02-2009, 08:44 AM
    Jimmy B
    Greg and Nora May these troubled times pass quickly.
    Jimmy B
  • 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
    Speed
    I am sorry to hear about Greg's accident.

Please let him know that we will keep him in our hearts and prayers!

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

Robert