ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    J!m

Hello, everyone...

"Insane J!m" here.

Just checking in to see what's up.

I did a review of my current war-horse camera (Canon EOS-1v HS); I did not realize there was a board attached! Very cool!

I do extreme photography- but I also do 'normal' stuff too.

I hope to learn a great deal here!:thumbsup:

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Hello, everyone...

May I call you...

"Insane?"

Welcome to the board Jim! Look forward to your contributions here. Feel free to leave a biography in the "People" thread at the top of this page. We also have a critique forum, and a sports forum you might interesting. And feel free to create a gallery with us as well!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

What's "extreme photography?"
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Welcome aboard Jim. You sound like someone who can bring a lot of interesting images to PR. Hope you stick around and become a regular.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Welcome Jim..."extreme photography"...sounds fun...look forward to finding out what it is and seeing some of your works.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The Review!

Just read the review. It's a good one. Thanks for posting it. The EOS 1V HS was my dream camera for a while. And then I switched to digital. Your review points out some very good reasons to continue to use that camera. I am curious about how well the EOS 1D Mark IIN would do, though. It doesn't need to advance film. That's got to be an advantage in the cold. But no reason to mess with what works, eh?

I checked your site cause I wanted to see some photos. No dice. Nothing there but an under construction sign.

Post some photos so we can see your stuff!
    Photo-John

J!m

Hello, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, the website is under construction.

there are several nice shots to go up there; however the bulk of my work is not digital, which means about 20 years of negatives to be scanned... Don't expect anything too quickly...

Extreme photography? Well, let's say you want to get married while a volcano erupts behind you. Who's going to be the photographer? Who's crazy enough to take that job? I know just the guy... ME!

My recent trip was up to Baie James this past February. The F-1 stayed in the warm truck- thre EOS-1v went to work.

Oh, regarding the lack of film advance: you are correct there, however how well do LCDs operate at -40? Not too well...

A friend riding with me has a Nikon D1x (I think that's the number) and he had nothing but problems in the cold. He got fewer than 50 useable photos the entire trip...

I WILL go digital; however I am convinced it is foolish to give up film. Film technology is advancing as fast as LCD technology. They are nearly equal now; however the warmth of film is hard to beat...

Attached is a photo I just dug up from St.Pierre (tiny french colony South of Newfoundland) from last August.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

St Pierre!

I was just recently thinking about visiting St. Pierre. Couldn't decide whether it looked interesting or boring. Wondered about taking the mountain bike out there for a story. What do you think?
    Photo-John

Is etreme photography where you take pictures while on fire, or jumping out of a plane? Because if so, I would love to see some of that.
    -Jason Cross-

http://www.jasoncrossphoto.com Check out the 365 days of photos started Jan 1 2007. :thumbsup:

J!m

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    St Pierre!

I was just recently thinking about visiting St. Pierre. Couldn't decide whether it looked interesting or boring. Wondered about taking the mountain bike out there for a story. What do you think?
    You won't need a bike.

Everyone lives on the smallest island, and everything's close.
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

J!m

Quote Originally Posted by boomtap
    Is etreme photography where you take pictures while on fire, or jumping out of a plane? Because if so, I would love to see some of that.
    If the price is right...:thumbsup:
    CANON FD:

CANON EF:

Oh ya and could somebody please get a photo of a midget jumping through a hoop of fire. Oh wait I think Motley Crue already did that.
    -Jason Cross-

http://www.jasoncrossphoto.com Check out the 365 days of photos started Jan 1 2007. :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum J!m. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Welcome aboard j!m
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information