ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Ghost

Getting down to the dogs level

I spent a few hours at a dog park today. We met up with a bunch of other italian greyhound owners and watched all the little guys play around. They're so funny when the get together with other IG's cause they have lots of energy and excitement.

I brought my camera along because I knew it had potential. I started shooting with my 70-200 for a bit but I couldn't quite get the shot I was looking for. There were so many people in the way and the park was so small that I eventually threw on a 28-85 lens instead.

After taking another batch of boring photos with that lens I finally thought.....what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try....and I started taking photos while crouching and holding the camera near the ground. Obviously I wasn't able to look through the viewfinder so I just had to guess that things would be framed well enough. I set the camera to use all focus focus to determine focus and just let her rip!

Almost all shots with this perspective, while not technically perfect, were at least interesting. The shot included is a good example of that. I like this photo quite a bit for some reason. These dogs were really running fast and I think it's the point of contact with the paw that does it for me.

I just figured I'd share this photo with you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting down to the dogs level-crw_9807.jpg  

Whippet???

Just a query?
    Are these the same as whippets?
    They look alot like our dog?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting down to the dogs level-jack.jpg   Getting down to the dogs level-jack2.jpg  

Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezz
    Just a query?
    Are these the same as whippets?
    They look alot like our dog?
    Same family! These are just smaller than whippets. In fact, the first question from 9 out of 10 people who see our dog is "Is that a whippet?". It's funny because I didn't even know what a whippet was until we got Ozzy. I'm not real big on dogs (don't get me wrong, I love Ozzy immensely) so I didn't real know about these things until we got ours.

There was one IG today that was actually larger then some whippets are.

From largest to smallest, greyhounds, whippets, italian greyhounds, and then there's a lot more in between. For scale, Ozzy weighs right around 14 or 15 pounds.

Ghost
    Here's another for a sense of size.....Ozzy is a little bit on the large size as IG's go. Most are a tad smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting down to the dogs level-crw_9471.jpg  

my sister is jelous, she wishes Jack our whippet was small enough ti hold like that

are they really lazy between the times they run?
    Jack lays for hours without moving untilyou ask if he wants food or to go for a walk and then he has too much energy, i cant keep up!

Thread Information