ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Tel

Does Photography Makes you Smarter?

I've noticed that every photographer I meet is smart, and feel like I've gotten smarter after I picked up a camera. Which leads me to ask this question...

Does Photography Make You Smarter?

I honestly have never met a dumb photographer, I'm sure some of you have, but we seem to be above the bar, you know?

EDIT: 250th post!

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Does Photography Makes you Smarter?

I cudn't agre weth you moor! Picture takurs are the smartiest peeple I noe. I hav yet to mete a dum won. I thunk it's cus we spends so much time redeing and righting about what we does.

Ok, seriously, I don't know if there is anything to your theory or not, but since I'm a photographer, I would like to think it's true. I do know one photographer that tries to use big words to impress people, and often times uses the wrong one. It's kind of funny! I also know a local photog who sounds about as smart as a rock when you talk to him. A pretty nice guy, but doesn't impress me with his communication skills.

One thing I have noticed about photographers tho, is that a lot of them are also musicians. I know we have several musician/photogs on this site. I don't consider myself a musician, but I have a few guitars laying around the house, that I pick up and strum a few cords on every once in a while. Even the pro I mentioned above is a guitar player.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well I have been reading a lot and listening to more music. I did pick up a bass guitar for a brief stint, I also played in my high school band. You might be onto something. I know Greg McCary has a few guitars,,,hmmm. Yep we are smart!!!

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

I've met quite a few dumb photographers. No dumb pros, but they wouldn't be pros if they were stupid. It takes a fair amount of intelligence/motivation to get to that level. Most of the time the stupid ones are the ones who don't know what they are doing, because you really have to be smart to understand the dynamics of what makes a good photo and how your camera even works.

The music thread is interesting. I'm a musician and to put my pictures to music is my greatest passion.

I'd probably be considered a dumb photographer. You have to start somewhere and begin learning. Everyone did. As long as I'm stiving to learn and grow I'm proud of myself.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think those who take photography seriously and try to improve their skills, their 'eye for images', and are willing to try new things are already of above average intellligence.
    They like music, books, art, etc. They would find a creative outlet for their desire to communicate in other forms if it weren't for photography.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I forgot to add I've met a real dumb pro.

A photographer from a local paper I've got to know over the past couple years on the football field. The last game we shot at together his batteries went dead as soon as he got to the field. He harrassed and begged me to let him use my rig. Like I owed him. I finally buckled and let him have it for two plays. As soon as he got my camera he started questioning me if I even had my settings right. That's one of our local pros. I'm not impressed.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

your mistake was even letting him touch your camera. I wouldn't let anyone who is stupid enough to show up with 2 dead batteries lay a finger on my hard-earned equipment.

I don't know if it makes you smarter, but I do know, at least for me, it makes me more aware of my surroundings and maybe, just maybe, that makes one smarter. I shoot mostly nature and landscapes, so I am constantly looking out for things to shoot.

My 0.02 cents. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    your mistake was even letting him touch your camera. I wouldn't let anyone who is stupid enough to show up with 2 dead batteries lay a finger on my hard-earned equipment.
    I don't view it as a mistake. Live and learn. I'm the kind of person who thinks of the right thin after the situation is over. No harm was done and he got an amazing shot.

He knows next time there will not be a next time.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

I agree wholeheartedly with Western Guy......I'm not necessarily smarter, but I'm twice or three times as aware of what's out there as I used to be. I make a lot of dumb mistakes, but awareness is not one. I think by picking up a camera, you become exponentially 'smarter' in the sense that your people skills sometimes improve, your ability to understand the basic principals of light and exposure, and to a certain degree--art and design improve.

On the other hand... I have never met a dumb rocket scientist!
    They must be smart... they're in the same profession as I am.

Seriously, I would be cautious about drawing such broad conclusions based on personal empirical data. One might discover that belonging to a particular group alters one's concept of or standards for what constitutes "smart".

Take another example: does running marathons make a person a better athlete?
    Certainly, participating in the discipline hones one's skills, but does it create the ability, or merely enhance a pre-existing aptitude?

The better photographer will be one who is capable of assimilating and organizing the technical aspects of photography, while maintaining a skill and appreciation of the artistic aspects as well. Taking more pictures--and learning from them--improves both, but is that the same as becoming smart? And I would argue against using money as a criteria: just look at ball players, boxers, and Hollywood!

I am a "casual" photographer, which, in my book, is one step above a "snapshot" photographer. I could never be a pro, chiefly because I do not want to be, whether or not I have the skill. Is that less smart? I love my line of work (engineering), which de-emphasizes artistic abilities, since it is hardly repeatable. Some in this profession would say photographers are not as smart because they do not appreciate integrating acceleration to calculate velocity. But I think it's largely a personal propensity...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    I don't know if it makes you smarter, but I do know, at least for me, it makes me more aware of my surroundings and maybe, just maybe, that makes one smarter. I shoot mostly nature and landscapes, so I am constantly looking out for things to shoot.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    I know getting out and learning more about my surroundings and the history behind some of the places I go.. Meeting people and their stories, yes it makes me smarter.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I don't know if it makes you smarter, but it sure does make your butt bigger. Especially digital.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    I have to agree. I feel that shooting some forms of photography slows you down enough to appreciate life as we know it. A normal person of this day and age hammers through life and forgets what they see and feel. Being a photographer allows you to capture small moments in time that you can go back to and relish as well as learn more about things you shoot generally. So in a roundabout way I would say yes... it makes you smarter... and more in-tune to things....

As per the pro comment... I am a working pro. I have seen and met a ton of pros who dont know a THING about photography as an art. Many people can hold a camera, look professional, and not know a damn thing about what they are doing, except that they know business and know how to sell what they take. Usually I have more respect for a serious hobbiest who takes the time and enjoys the passion involved with being a "real" photographer over someone who does it purely to make a paycheck.
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

I don't know if it makes you smarter, but I do know, at least for me, it makes me more aware of my surroundings and maybe, just maybe, that makes one smarter.
    I agree with this too. Being more aware of your surroundings can mean that you look at things differently, like architecture or anything else. You might decide that because of photographing buildings that you want to learn more about architecture. And maybe it makes you look at the world (and think about the world) a little differently. Being receptive to seeing things differently can start that process...

Music thread, huh? Gotta look for that one. Been gone for a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I don't know if it makes you smarter, but it sure does make your butt bigger. Especially digital.
    That may be true, but a real smart photographer could thin it down during post processing.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wink Re: Does Photography Makes you Smarter?

Well, I know I'm not smarter. I forget simple stuff with photography as much as I do with normal life,( you know...tying my shoes, pulling my zipper up, putting the seat down, etc.)
    Not only did I forget to switch to auto focus the other day when shooting my new grandaughter; today I took off for my grandson's t-ball game and forgot to put a card back in my camera and my extras weren't in my bag. Thankfully there was a Walmart close and got a Lexar 2 gig for 37 bucks.
    I guess Brent won't lend me his camera
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota scroller
    That may be true, but a real smart photographer could thin it down during post processing.

Good point!

Did you hear about that p&s that has a "thin" mode? Apparently it slightly stretches the photo vertically in camera, so people look thinner. Forget which one it was though...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Well, I know I'm not smarter. I forget simple stuff with photography as much as I do with normal life,( you know...tying my shoes, pulling my zipper up, putting the seat down, etc.)
    Not only did I forget to switch to auto focus the other day when shooting my new grandaughter; today I took off for my grandson's t-ball game and forgot to put a card back in my camera and my extras weren't in my bag. Thankfully there was a Walmart close and got a Lexar 2 gig for 37 bucks.
    I guess Brent won't lend me his camera

haha don't feel bad, I don't let any of my friends touch my camera, except for a few close ones that I know won't do anything bad to it. It's an off-limits thing in my apartment.

Thread Information