ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Weekly local Farmers Market....

Here are some shots that I was able to take until the security guard told me to stop if I didn't have permission from management. I wish I took photos when there was less sun because the produce was going to look much better under the booth's tungsten lighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly local Farmers Market....-img_3225_w400.jpg   Weekly local Farmers Market....-img_3226_w400.jpg   Weekly local Farmers Market....-img_3222_w400.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by poker; 05-19-2006 at 01:47 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: Weekly local Farmers Market....

These were all taken with my Canon DREBEL (300) mated to my Canon 85MM f/1.8 USM Prime at 200 ISO.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly local Farmers Market....-img_3203_w400v.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by poker; 05-19-2006 at 01:51 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Liz

These are very nice - that lens is awesome btw!

My favorite is the first one. I love the color contrast - the orange and red net bag. You have a good eye. I also like the asparagus, but I agree that one could have used a little more light. At any rate, you did a good job. It goes to show that you don't have to travel far to do good photography. You just need a good eye.

Thanks for sharing......it encourages me to take my camera with me more often and not just wait until I have a huge block of time. I feel I've been waiting forever to use my new lens.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    Here are some shots that I was able to take until the security guard told me to stop if I didn't have permission from management. I wish I took photos when there was less sun because the produce was going to look much better under the booth's tungsten lighting.

Love the artichokes and the mom and child... was the artichoke on its side like that or was it a little artistic licensing?

the mom slightly out of the frame is great... it's two people but it really focuses on the child
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    These are very nice - that lens is awesome btw!
    Thanks Liz. It's my favorite lens out of my inventory. I had to adjust the way I use it since it is now a 136mm with the x1.6 on my DSLR. This is the first time I used it aggressively in a while.

I also like the asparagus, but I agree that one could have used a little more light.
    I actually added some brightness and highlights. I'll revisit it again. I think what kept me from making it brighter was the green sign. I may have to mask it off then adjust the rest of the brightness.

it encourages me to take my camera with me more often and not just wait until I have a huge block of time. I feel I've been waiting forever to use my new lens.
    Wow, I've encouraged someone?!? Photography has become even more rewarding. I hope you do go out and use that new lens. What kind?

Thanks for looking the photos over and for the comments.

- Eric
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Eric...my faves are the oranges, artichokes and mom & baby. And my fave in that bunch is the mom & baby. I love that the mom is dark hair/dark eyes, and the baby is blond and blue-eyed...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Love the artichokes and the mom and child... was the artichoke on its side like that or was it a little artistic licensing?

the mom slightly out of the frame is great... it's two people but it really focuses on the child

I did not coach the artichokes into that pose. It is their own natural ability and camera presence. That artichoke will be, "America's Next Top Veggie." unless someone makes a dip out of it first.

The composition of the mother and child were done in post. This is actually a wide landscape shot turned vertical.

Thanks so much for your comments.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

This makes me want to go to the local famers markets. Great job, Eric.

I love the Asparagus shot. That is a very unique way of capturing the subject. I also like the shot with the llama.

There is something that bothers me about the shot of the mother and son. The skin tones seem to be off. The other colors are good, but their skin seems...almost greyish on my screen.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by julsoph
    Eric...my faves are the oranges, artichokes and mom & baby. And my fave in that bunch is the mom & baby. I love that the mom is dark hair/dark eyes, and the baby is blond and blue-eyed...
    Thanks Emily. I was so lucky the baby was looking my way. When I saw them in the middle of a busy crowd, I just had to photograph them.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    This makes me want to go to the local famers markets. Great job, Eric.

There is something that bothers me about the shot of the mother and son. The skin tones seem to be off. The other colors are good, but their skin seems...almost greyish on my screen.
    Thanks.

This farmers markets was held at the mall's parking lot. Maybe they are more strict with photography. I'm going to try the farmer's market near work, maybe they won't be strict about it. Try it out when you can.

Regarding the skin tones, the time was about 7PM close to sunset with hazy skies. I had my white balance on shadow since we were in the shopping mall's shadow due to the setting sun. I should try other white balance params or learn how to do it fully manual. Maybe that will help next time.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by poker; 05-19-2006 at 03:28 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Liz

Eric,

I got the Canon 24-105 lens - had to sell 2 other lenses and other equipment to do it. However, I love the lens - it was a 65th birthday present to myself.

Asparagus
    I took another look at the Asparagus - to check the sign which I hadn't paid enough attention to the first time. I don't know how I missed it! The 2nd look gave me a new perspective - and I think the image is fine the way it is. Making it lighter or brighter may take something away. Your call.

You have a good eye, as I said before.

Liz

Thread Information