ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What do you do with the video?

In the 'Camera of the Year' thread, there is a lot of support for the DSLRs with video. What do you take video of and what do you do with them? I would suppose that you would be taking videos of the same things you take photos of since that is where your interests lie, but then what? If I were to take a video of my dog, or some wildlife or a bike race, I can't think what I possibly would do with it. Do you have a server of some sort to pull them up on your TV to show company? Carry them on your phone or personal assistant to show others? Put them on Flickr where no one will ever see them? Are there video forums where they are critiqued for artistic and technical merit as photos are here? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: What do you do with the video?

I've already got a Nikon D90 video up on our video section. Did you know we had a video section? I used the D90 to shoot a video of me opening a box containing the Nikon Coolpix P6000.

PhotographyREVIEW.com Videos >>

I am shooting more and more video. Usually I just shoot it with a digital point-and-shoot. We did a bunch of tradeshow videos at last year's PMA tradeshow and we actually used a Canon digital video camera for those. But I would love to have high quality video capability in the same camera I'm shooting stills with. It's one less thing to carry. And I can also use all the lenses I already own. Sure, video isn't for everyone. But there are lots of people who will use it. Consider the young couple buying their first DSLR to take pictures of their first baby. I'm sure they'd appreciate having video. Same for the teenage snowboarder who wants to shoot his friends doing tricks. I think that kid would love to have video and high-quality stills in the same camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

>> Do you have a server of some sort to pull them up on your TV to show company?
    I could, but I wouldn't bore people with videos of my cat
    My Netgear NV+ supports video streaming and MS Media discovery.

>> Carry them on your phone or personal assistant to show others?
    I don't have one.
    My phone is an old Nokia 69310i ... it makes phone calls, and texts.

>> Put them on Flickr where no one will ever see them?

>> Are there video forums where they are critiqued for artistic and technical merit as photos are here?
    Yes there are.
    And with the new video upload on this site, critiquing videos in our Video forum would be possible.
    I am wondering how the availability of the D90 and 5DmkII will affect us, and what we can do to prepare for it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Video on a DSLR - why.

Most likely for new users to waste money. Most likely form the PS user or braggers???

I can get a HD 720i video camera for the price of a PS still camera, and it will do allot more video stuff than a DSLR
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Have you heard of this little thing called "YouTube"?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

This seems to me very much like the "all in one" printer/scanner/fax units. Maybe it appeals to a broader audience, but why buy something that does a bunch of things mediocre, when for a relatively small difference in price, you can find several items that each do one thing great. I may be in the minority, but I can't imagine a situation where it would be too inconvenient to carry along a video camera, if I really wanted to shoot video.

In my mind, it's just another spork
    Attached Images Attached Images  

drg

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    This seems to me very much like the "all in one" printer/scanner/fax units. Maybe it appeals to a broader audience, but why buy something that does a bunch of things mediocre, when for a relatively small difference in price, you can find several items that each do one thing great. I may be in the minority, but I can't imagine a situation where it would be too inconvenient to carry along a video camera, if I really wanted to shoot video.

In my mind, it's just another spork
    I wonder if it is going to be mediocre very long or not? The Canon 5D-II is starting to get some good reviews. Video is different for the typical user of that style of camera to have trouble evaluating it, and the camera is different enough for the typical video user for them to adapt . . . yet.

There was early video of the Nikon offering that made me wonder about the advertised frame rate (moving the camera produced 'wind' in the image) but I've since seen some that I watched being made that worked fine.

I haven't owned a video camera since Hi-8 days and that was for a specific work task. I generally use the video mode in a P/S if I really need it. Of course I'm not in that business, yet . . .?

Last summer it would have been a 'saver' for a wedding I was working on (I won't repeat details I've posted elsewhere) where the video company didn't produce! I or the assistant could have at least gotten a few of the special things like bouquet/garter toss, first dance etc. on video along with the photos we took. This was the wedding I blogged about last summer and the entire delivery was in HD format anyway!

As the popularity of smaller and easier to carry high end digital cameras becomes increasingly popular, why not include quality video in the same package? Size of the unit isn't the criteria any longer. Look at the tiny cameras regularly being used for sports coverage and even on a monster HD screen, you can't tell. Oh sure if the cameras are set up wrong, but when working they are great I've seen shots from the tiny flying cameras that I can all but read the play list on the quarterbacks forearm.

One consideration I have is that in getting releases from people I like to shoot a short video of them reading and signing the release. If I could do that on the same card in the same camera I then use to photograph them, it would be perfect. I know of journalists who are already doing this with the Nikon D90.

I feel the questions are going to be how much this will add to the cost of the cameras to get it 'right', will the controls be full featured enough to not be distracting, and how soon before still and motion photography will overlap/blur in the less than super high end cameras so that almost anyone can suck a 10+MP frame out of a video and make a still?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I feel a great advantage is that I can use the lenses I've already invested in. If I were to go out and buy a dedicated video camera that allows me to use the same quality and variety of lenses, I'm sure I'd pay a lot more than $3K. And then I'd have a really nice dedicated video camera, for what? To play with?

I'll take the camera that I can USE, and pay $600 extra for the ability to experiment with a new media at what looks like really decent quality output.

(Did I tell you, I used a $1000 video camera to record a play that a prospective grad student had written and directed, for purposes of her portfolio. I was hugely disappointed with the results in the low theatrical lighting space. Very pixellated and fuzzy. She's got a record of her play, which is about all she can say.)

This is slightly off the point of the original post, but I think it's close enough. But I own a nice Canon DV camera (Optura 60) and a nice Canon DSLR (Rebel XTi), and I've produced both a feature length film and plenty of photographs (about 13,000 now). I lean more toward the Spork point of view in that I think a DSLR may be useful for taking video clips but on the whole isn't well suited as a video camera.

The handling requirements of an SLR and a video camera are completely different. With an SLR, you bring the camera up to your eye, take a few shots at most, then bring it down and review. If you have the camera up for any length of time, it's almost always supported by a monopod or tripod, because it's simply not comfortable to hold an SLR up for very long, especially if you've got some nice glass on it.

A video camera, on the other hand, needs to be able to be held up for extended periods of time to facilitate filming. That's done either via a very light camera, as seen in consumer cams, or by a shoulder support as seen in the pro/prosumer cams.

The other issue is shooting perspective. SLRs are almost always shot at eye level. If you need to shoot low, you can lay down on the ground, then get set up to shoot. If you need to shoot higher than eye level, well, you guess and check. But with video, you need to be able to fluidly shoot from different perspectives. The shape and operational requirements (viewfinder, zoom, focus, etc) of SLRs do not lend themselves to this at all. An articulating viewing screen would help things, but the hand placement required to hold an SLR would require a lot of bouncey juggling to go from eye height to foot height during continuous shooting. Whereas for a video camera, that's no problem.

So for me, it's still a question of what you want to do. Sure, you can hammer nails with a sledge hammer, but you wouldn't want to build a house that way.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

The last time I took video footage with a video camera, I made myself seasick watching the playback. I need a tripod, lol!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Tripod or stabiliser like a steadicam for movement.
    For handling like a video camera, there's the Redrock Micro http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

Though professional equipment like this is probably overkill for most people.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information