ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: ACL Fest

ACL Fest

Austin City Limits Music Festival, that is.

The stupid rules said no cameras with interchangeable lenses, although I saw plenty of people with digital rebels. I just took my Canonet and a couple of rolls of Plus-X to be safe. Trying to photograph the musicians is pointless, so I went for a more documentary approach. Here are a few of my favorites.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ACL Fest-black-frame-horizontal-640.jpg   ACL Fest-phone-talker-640.jpg   ACL Fest-step-over-640.jpg   ACL Fest-ghostland-light-640.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: ACL Fest

Sometimes what's going on with the crowd/audience is more interesting than the show.

No cameras with interchangable lenses? What's the reasoning behind that?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Looking good Paul I really like that last shot...been growing quite fond of the Canonet's odd bokeh. Which Canonet do you have?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Forgot to ask, these done with the Coolscan?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    ...No cameras with interchangable lenses? What's the reasoning behind that?
    I guess they just want to keep people with big telephoto lenses from stealing the official ACL photographers' thunder. I don't know. I went to a University of Texas football game on Saturday and they had the same rule. I ignored it that time, figuring they wouldn't know what they were looking at when they saw my Bessa. No one said a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Forgot to ask, these done with the Coolscan?
    Thanks, Aaron. My Canonet is the QL-17 GIII, and yes these are the first through the Coolscan. But, don't judge the Coolscan by these shots. They weren't sharp to start with, mostly on account of my haphazard photography techniques.

Oh, and that last one was shot wide open. Stop down at all and you get a goofy pentagon shaped bokeh.

Don't suppose you know what developer was used for these?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I agree the last shot is very good and I also agree I think I had rather see the crowd. Great shots.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Don't suppose you know what developer was used for these?
    D76, diluted 1:1. The Canonet meter was set to 200, which for my camera means it was really about 100. I underdeveloped slightly, because the lighting was very contrasty most of the time.

Also, I was using a yellow filter for that first shot.

Sweet, thanks Paul. Couldn't remember if you processed your own or not. Been trying to make mental notes on developer/film combos.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Sweet, thanks Paul. Couldn't remember if you processed your own or not. Been trying to make mental notes on developer/film combos.
    I think D76 works great with Tri-X, Plus-X, and Tmax 100, but I didn't like Tmax 400. I haven't shot enough of any other films to really make a judgement.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

These are really good Paul.
    Other than a shot of some of the performers, you got a good feel for the event.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Greg,

I missed your comment last night. Thanks for looking!

Brian,

Thanks to you too. Glad you liked them.

I may post a few more tonight, if I have time after mowing the yard.

Do these look too dark to anyone? They looked fine last night on my home pc, but they look to dark on my work pc. I'm still trying to get used to my LCD monitor. I'm affraid it's too bright, even though it's calibrated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous

Do these look too dark to anyone? They looked fine last night on my home pc, but they look to dark on my work pc. I'm still trying to get used to my LCD monitor. I'm affraid it's too bright, even though it's calibrated.
    They look fine to me.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Paul, these all look very good. They do not appear too dark on my monitor. I like the idea of shooting the scene and crowd. We get a good idea of the energy and atmoshphere.
    These look clean, did you use the Digital ICE? I think I recall that the ICE does not work well with b&w. Great results anyway.
    Really like the 1st and last ones alot.
    Good stuff
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Paul, these all look very good. They do not appear too dark on my monitor. I like the idea of shooting the scene and crowd. We get a good idea of the energy and atmoshphere.
    These look clean, did you use the Digital ICE? I think I recall that the ICE does not work well with b&w. Great results anyway.
    Really like the 1st and last ones alot.
    Good stuff
    Thanks for the feedback, Gary. I think I'll learn a lot using this scanner. I had no idea how much dust and how many little scratches were on my negatives until now. And now that I can see every single grain, I can tell that something in my developing process caused this Plus-X to come out grainier than Tri-X. I have some work to do.

I didn't use Digital ICE, because it doesn't work with traditional B&W films. It confuses the silver for dust and tries to repair large portions of the shot...no good. I did my best to blow off the negs before scanning, but there was still a lot of dust, so I used the clone stamp to get rid of most of it.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Thanks for the feedback, Gary. I think I'll learn a lot using this scanner. I had no idea how much dust and how many little scratches were on my negatives until now. And now that I can see every single grain, I can tell that something in my developing process caused this Plus-X to come out grainier than Tri-X. I have some work to do.

I didn't use Digital ICE, because it doesn't work with traditional B&W films. It confuses the silver for dust and tries to repair large portions of the shot...no good. I did my best to blow off the negs before scanning, but there was still a lot of dust, so I used the clone stamp to get rid of most of it.

Paul
    That is strange because the Digital Ice that came with my Nikon Cool Scan works great with B&W film.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    That is strange because the Digital Ice that came with my Nikon Cool Scan works great with B&W film.
    Was that with regular b&w film or with C-41 processed b&w? I couldn't get ICE to work on my Epson with regular b&w film. The problem is with the silver so it should work fine with C-41 processed b&w.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information