ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

sucker born every day

o.k. so Santa is at the mall(two weeks now) took the kiddos to the "north pole"...anyway

here's what I could choose..
    --2-5x7s for 20.99
    --4 wallets for 19.99
    --- or both for 35.99
    or a cd of the one image for 25.00

picked the crappy cd(what a weiner) cleaned it up changed the kids clothes and ordered some Christmas cards from Mpix...

I love Photoshop! ;)

happy Holidays---let go eat a turkey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sucker born every day-11-19-2005_057_1.jpg   sucker born every day-post-xmas.jpg  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Is that legal?!?!

Good to see ya posting, nat...

Not one to stir things up needlessly (yeah, right!), but technically, that's not your photograph. And while what you do to a pic in the proverbial privacy of your own home is your business, by posting it here, you have in effect altered it and published it.

Ah, I'm kidding. I seriously doubt the "Mall Santa Photo Police" will be knocking on your door anytime soon.

Besides, your version does look a lot better...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Is that legal?!?!

Wow, nice psing.

We fortunately have never had to go the mall route. Company children's X-mas party has a Santa, and you take your own photos.

Going to email you back....sometime in the next week...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

drg

Re: Is that legal?!?!

Nat nice job fixing the pic. The Photo Takers (I'm not sure I'll call them photographers) should be ashamed "selling" an image like that.

Steve brings up an interesting point, but one that we are all going to be arguing years hence.

The current thought, though not real popular, is that by selling you a CD the company is "licensing" you to produce any image, or quantities you want as long as you do not profit from those images. Now, if the have a disclaimer stating that you can only use them images for email, that is different.

The Copyright and Digital Rights attorney's I consult indicate that email is itself in question as to what that involves. The disclaimers thusly may be meaningless.

I've been selling CD's for over a year and the profit margin is way over %1000. No lab time, few materials, almost no technical qualification for the individual running the burner and software. Just point, click, and drag and then the big virtuall BURN button. These CD's have a disclaimer printed on them, as a file, and the pics are digimarc encoded. But if a customer wants to burn 500 greeting cards, let them have fun! I'll gladly do it, but it costs more.

The quality is 'reduced' and the images are "suitable for personal use and 4x6 reprints". They still are marked with a logo, and I even include a disclaimer/release letter for the customer to use at W-M, Walgreen, CVS, etc. It contains phone number, email, and the numbers that W-M and Walgreen will generate for licensing/commercial accounts if asked.

I get business, and if they client wants something special, they are going to have to come back for a better quality file or other services. Plus there is no concern about shipping and replacement of damaged prints and on and on.

I'll still personally deliver if you ask however.

Its a new business model, not unlike proofing online. You just have to mind the details as to how it is all presented.

5 years ago I believed that I'd still be delivering chrome's to customer. Haven't in nearly two years!! The time's are a changin'
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: sucker born every day

the Cds had nothing on it---no disclaimers ---no anything...both sides have that glossy iridescent look to them in a white paper sleeve. I asked the guy running the place if there were limitations as to what I could do with it...he said "it's yours you paid for it do whatever you want...you can even emnlarge it to poster size"(ya right to that last remark-he he)

...and they gave me a sheet of wallets for buying a cd for free.(might use them as coasters

I'm able to post because I weaseled a day out of work...thought the kids had a half day so I took the day off----get to their thanksgiving "lunch" and it's a full day...woohoo...
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Nicely done Nat!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I know that Santa!..... The Mall at Rockingham Park. We were just there on Saturday.

I checked out their set-up. They were using a Nikon D70. They had a single monolight behind the camera (bare bulb).

We didn't buy any images...my son just gave him "the list".

BTW, I think he image does belong to her. Last year I asked what can I do with the image if I buy the CD and they said "anything you want". They charge $25 for a low-res. CD because they know what the customers are going to do with it.

Mike

That's so funny....I was about 10 stores down...I work at GlamourShots

come by and say hi sometime....
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information