ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Oops :(

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Oops :(

Did a shoot this weekend. Everything went pefectly except for this one shot. I absolutely love the shot it's playful and fun but obviously as you can see, I blew it and overexposed the sky and it ruined it. I have been trying with lightroom and photoshop to atleast salvage it but I'm pulling my hair out here and am all out of ideas.

Any photoshop experts out there feel like giving me a hand with this one? I can send you the RAW file if that helps. I would be eternally in your debt this is a pretty important shot.

Thank you.
    Last edited by maplestreet; 02-25-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: Oops :(

Do you have an image from around the same time and place where the sky was good? If so you might be able to create layer mask to use the foreground of this picture and the background of another. Your mask edges would need to be very precise which you can do with the Refine Edge tools. You may also need to scale the sky layer if it's not big enough. Try searching for some tutorials on layer masks or replacing skies for more details. Good luck!

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Do you have an image from around the same time and place where the sky was good? If so you might be able to create layer mask to use the foreground of this picture and the background of another. Your mask edges would need to be very precise which you can do with the Refine Edge tools. You may also need to scale the sky layer if it's not big enough. Try searching for some tutorials on layer masks or replacing skies for more details. Good luck!

Oh Matt, you're lucky you're in Colorado, cuz you'd be getting hugged by me right now. Watched a few tutorials on layer masks, tried it out and it looks perfect. You really saved my bacon my friend. Thank you, thank you.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

It's gonna be difficult, I think, since the rest of the image is correctly exposed. The people, the foreground, the golf course... Everything else is right, so bringing down the sky will be a real challenge.

This looks like it was supposed to be fill flash against a sunset, or at least late afternoon sky.

I'd be happy to take a shot at it, but I'd need the RAW file, and maybe another frame that shows the sky as it was instead of blown white.

EDIT: I see while I was typing and looking around that you got it sorted. Excellent, and ..... never mind getting me a RAW!

Thread Information