ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I think I have a super rare lens??? [Pics]

hey all, sorry if i have posted in the wrong place but I have been doing some browsing on the internet and I have noticed a lens I have it mentioned to be worth quite a bit. I have not found any hard evidence of this so I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on the topic for me. its a 28MM canon mount. F2.8

Its a Raynette F2.8, not sure what else its called. The pictures are blurry because I took the pictures on my iphone. If you want just respond and I shall take some more from my Nikon D5000 Very Happy!!

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4885/img0026pj.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7908/img0028di.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2501/img0029fa.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/img0030lm.jpg/

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: I think I have a super rare lens??? [Pics]

I've never heard of it.

A 28mm f/2.8 is not very specialized so I can't imagine it being very valuable. Sorry.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

drg

If this is the lens I think it is it has a threaded mount. That is a Pentax M42 (42mm diameter x 1mm pitch) lens that was the 35mm mount for many years. Various manufacturers used it to provide interchangeability of lens types.

Raynette looks like it was a brand name for an OEM supplied product made most likely by a Yashica factory. Like many of the O.E.M. lenses even today, they were slight differences in configuration if made by another Manufacturer.

From what I can see of the lens from the photos, this one may have come from Mamiya or Vivtar (both quality manufacturers) because of the style of focusing ring knurling.

It is only rare if there were not very many of the style but not by a particular name that were manufactured. The 28mm f/2.8 was a common lens for 30+ years and often was the first lens purchahed after a 50mm.

If you can post any better pics it might help someone to further tie down which variation of this type this is.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

There are a few references to Raynette in general and a couple on the 28 2.8. Interestingly most of them seem to be in Europe or Indonesia. It is listed a few times under collector's lists (no info - they just list the Raynette with many others outlining their collection.)

The only prices I have seen appear to be in Indonesian RP but currency conversion to USD shows them going for less than a dollar??? So not sure what is up with that.
    ...Michael ... ("Realart" is not a reflection of my photography. It is the company that re-released the great old Universal horror films in the 1950's.)

That green "MC" stamp makes me think of Cosina. And the rear view of the mount reminds me of Canon FD. I found this picture of a Cosina 28mm f2.8 on Ebay. It went for $25.

Quality makes a second-hand lens expensive, not rarity. People will always buy Leica M lenses because they are the best and built with craftsmanship.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

There used to be several aftermarket lens manufacturers that made a variety of lenses for FD mounts, K mounts and screw mounts in almost all focal lengths and apertures. Just like aftermarket lenses nowdays, some of them had very good optics and others didn't. There used to be a big market in Chinese and russian lenses and some factories were pumping out the same lens under several different brands. I suspect that unless the optics are very good that this lens isn't particularly valuable, however if you really do want to check it out, track down a copy of the McKeown's guide I am sure it will be listed.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information