ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Telling PD's & FD's where to go!!!

To rent or not to rent a 70-200 F2.8 USM for a trip

hello 1st post here.

Next week I am taking a quick trip to Rapid City, SD. I've not been there so I'm taking everything 17-40 my Tamron 28-75F2.8 and this is where I'm confused at. I have a great 100-300L F5.6 lens I love but........... Midwest Photo Exchange has a 70-200 F2.8L USM (not the IS) lens I can rent for $90 for the week. I have never used this type lens before.

I played around with it at the store for 15 or so minutes the other day and loved how sharp it was. But I love my 100-300L also as it is very sharp also. I'm not sure if I need the extra 100mm lens coverage or not and I'm trying to do this quick trip on the cheap.

So should I rent the lens and keep my 100-300L at home or save $$$ and take my 100-300L with me?

Thanks
    Kevin

Re: To rent or not to rent a 70-200 F2.8 USM for a trip

Welcome to the site, Kevin. Tough call, for sure. I have the non-IS 70-200 f/2.8L and I love it. I consider it an essential lens for serious Canon shooters. Either that or the f/4 version. To me, it depends on what you want to shoot and whether you are willing to gamble on being ruined by the rental lens. Because I expect that after renting it, you won't be able to live without it. I've had mine for well over 10 years and the only thing I'd trade it for is the IS version. Nothing I've used compares for image quality and AF accuracy.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MB1

Re: To rent or not to rent a 70-200 F2.8 USM for a trip

If you think of photography as a fun hobby all you have to ask is will you have fun with the 70-200. The answer is of course you will, new toys are always fun.

Will not having it ruin your trip? Not likely if you are any kind of photographer as you already have a nice selection of glass.

Don't forget, it isn't the camera that takes great photographs it is the photographer.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thread Information