ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Yosemite Today

Yosemite Today

I'm in Las Vegas to shoot the annual Interbike tradeshow for our bike sites. Last night I drove to Yosemite and slept in my car at Tioga Pass. I woke up to 28 degrees (farenheit) at 6:30 AM. Ouch. But I got up and got the camera going and got photos at sunrise. And then some. Then I drove a new route to Vegas and it was good. Life is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yosemite Today-_mg_1080.jpg   Yosemite Today-_mg_1110.jpg   Yosemite Today-_mg_1160.jpg   Yosemite Today-_mg_1181.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Yosemite Today

love the trapped snow pockets, like the reflection in 2 and the brook in 4, though the red plant life kinda throws it off a bit

Super pictures John. It's like your putting me there. When you take shots like these where do you take your meter reading? I have been having problems getting my exposure exactly the way I want them on landscapes such as these. I always seem to blow out the sky......
    Greg

Film or Digital?

Are you shooting forlm or digital? If you're shooting with a digital camera, use the histogram. The photos you see here aren't always the first exposure. I always check my histogram to see if I've blown out the highlights. If the histogram doesn't tell indicate a good exposure I adjust accordingly and reshoot. These photos all have some adjustment with Photoshop masked adjustment layers, too.
    Photo-John

Suffering 28F was worth it. Wish I could have been there awesome

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks John, I'm film for now. I have just figured the layering out thanks to a book I bought. But I'm still not as good as these. Did you have to do alot of work to the skys?

Red Plant Life

Quote Originally Posted by Chrislowshow
    love the trapped snow pockets, like the reflection in 2 and the brook in 4, though the red plant life kinda throws it off a bit
    There was some red in the ground cover. However, a couple of days later I discovered that my camera was set for Cloudy white balance. And since I had no suitable RAW converter, I had been shooting JPEGs. Dern! Anyway, your eye was correct and there is a bit of extra red in at least the last image.
    Photo-John

Thread Information