ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Picking a Winner

This odd couple was along the paddock hedge, each trying to pick the horse that would be the winner of the next race. The bearded gentelman first caught my eye then the contrast between the two and their shared intensity in the subject compelled me to push the shutter button. It was a very overcast day and I couldn't seem to get the contrast I would like, but I still kind of liked this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking a Winner-odd-couple-2.jpg  

Re: Picking a Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    This odd couple was along the paddock hedge, each trying to pick the horse that would be the winner of the next race. The bearded gentelman first caught my eye then the contrast between the two and their shared intensity in the subject compelled me to push the shutter button. It was a very overcast day and I couldn't seem to get the contrast I would like, but I still kind of liked this image.
    I can pick the winner, you shot it.
    The overcast probably helped you, keeping the light under the bill of that cap close enough to what fell on the older gent's open face. I always like pics of people lost in thought, concentrating on something. You can see a similar look on musicians while they play sometimes.

Are you going to give racetrack tours if I ever get around Ky again? While in the Navy I spent 4 years in Saratoga Springs but never could afford to get to the track in August. The racing world sounds intriguing in all the Dick Francis (and others) mysteries I've read. Are races held in only certain seasons there?

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I can pick the winner, you shot it.
    The overcast probably helped you, keeping the light under the bill of that cap close enough to what fell on the older gent's open face. I always like pics of people lost in thought, concentrating on something. You can see a similar look on musicians while they play sometimes.

Are you going to give racetrack tours if I ever get around Ky again? While in the Navy I spent 4 years in Saratoga Springs but never could afford to get to the track in August. The racing world sounds intriguing in all the Dick Francis (and others) mysteries I've read. Are races held in only certain seasons there?
    Horse racing is a big part of Kentucky life. In and around the Bluegrass region we have lots of horse farm and of course the two major tracks in KY plus three other in other parts of the state. Keeneland is the most beautiful of all the tracks with meets in the spring and fall. Churchill Downs also has spring and fall racing. The part I love the best about going the track are the people you see some very interesting characters there. Here is one more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking a Winner-day-races-crop.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Horse racing is a big part of Kentucky life. In and around the Bluegrass region we have lots of horse farm and of course the two major tracks in KY plus three other in other parts of the state. Keeneland is the most beautiful of all the tracks with meets in the spring and fall. Churchill Downs also has spring and fall racing. The part I love the best about going the track are the people you see some very interesting characters there. Here is one more...
    hehehe...A real digital image. I don't think the subject appreciated the camera too much.

Thread Information