ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

New camera, same old almo

Yes, I made the switch back to Canon. I explaned that in the Canon Forum, and I really don't want to go over it again. It was a rather stressful and unhappy experience for me.

I got my new 30D a few days ago, and I guess it's about time I posted something from it. So why not my favorite subject?

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: New camera, same old almo

Almo! You change cameras as often as I change my underwear.

Get a nikon...you'll never go back...lol
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog

If and when I change again it will be a Canon. I am done trying to find greener pastures.

I feel that I have damaged my rep here on PR.com, but all I can say is that I was just trying to find out if there was something better for me. Call it growing pains. The net result is that Canon fits me best. Almost perfectly.
    Last edited by almo; 03-16-2008 at 06:01 AM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    If and when I change again it will be a Canon. I am done trying to find greener pastures.

I feel that I have damaged my rep here on PR.com, but all I can say is that I was just trying to find out is there was something better for me. Call it growing pains. The net result is that Canon fits me best. Almost perfectly.
    Almo,

Nice camera! There is no chance you could damage your rep here on PR! "Growing pains" is a good description! I did the exact same thing when I was choosing a P&S to replace my heavier lenses. Although I wasn't changing brands, I couldn't find a p&s that I really liked - and it was more than a few cameras later that I finally bought the G9.

Enjoy your new camera! post more photos around here! We miss you when you're not around!

Liz

How well do you like the 30D, I was going to trade my Olympus for a 30D?

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Almo,

Nice camera! There is no chance you could damage your rep here on PR! "Growing pains" is a good description! I did the exact same thing when I was choosing a P&S to replace my heavier lenses. Although I wasn't changing brands, I couldn't find a p&s that I really liked - and it was more than a few cameras later that I finally bought the G9.

Enjoy your new camera! post more photos around here! We miss you when you're not around!

Liz
    Thanks Liz, you always seem to say just the right things to make me feel good. It's nice to know that someone gets my struggle.

Here are a few more pics from my 30D...

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    How well do you like the 30D, I was going to trade my Olympus for a 30D?
    Hey Ty,

Having been from Canon to Oly, back to Canon, to Pentax, and back to Canon again, I am not about to tell you that it would be a sure thing for you. However, I can tell you that I love Canon cameras. Give me and x0D class Canon and I am going to feel great. I know this because I have used every one of them, from the D30 to he 40D. They are all basically the same camera, each one having newer technology than the last, like the models of new car each year.

The 30D is a great camera, as was my D60 and D30. They make the best images I have ever taken. It is true that you can make great images with any of the DSLRs on the market today, but for me there is nothing like a Canon for doing it. Others would bash me for saying this, but I just don't see the same quality from other manufacturers, and I say this after owning and using cameras from two of the top competing brands utilizing sensors from Kodak and Sony.

The 30D offers a lot, with 5fps, and 8.2MP sensor that is said to deliver slightly more image resolution and better detail than the 10.2MP Sony sensor in the Nikon D200. The metal body is awesome, and really lends a feel of ruggedness and seriousness that plastic bodies seem to lack. The size is better for bigger hands, and with a battery grip and good lens it really is like a baby 1D.

All I can say is that if you feel like it really is time for a change, give it a shot. I don't think you will be disappointed, but if you are, Oly is still there to go back to.

Hope this helps.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Congrats Almo. Looks like you have done your homework. I am sure you will be happy. The camera looks much smaller than the 510?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Back to canon...yeah baby yeah!

Love the selfers with the new camera John. I wish I had the guts to try different systems, but I've been with Nikon so long and have such a financial and emotional investment that I just can't do it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Love the selfers with the new camera John. I wish I had the guts to try different systems, but I've been with Nikon so long and have such a financial and emotional investment that I just can't do it.
    I don't recomend it Larry. It's just not worth it really. I am so emotionally invested in Canon now that I don't think I could ever dream of trying another system again.

If you wanna try something else go to Ritz and play, believe me it will feel good when you get home to your Nikons.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Congrats Almo. Looks like you have done your homework. I am sure you will be happy. The camera looks much smaller than the 510?
    Ha! It only looks small because of me. It would dwarf a 510.

Here is the 20D next to the 510, the 20D is just about the same shape/size as the 30D that replaced it.

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

wannabe

what camera! all I see is your big hands, but no camera . I know how you feel about those big sandwich clamper's, I had to buy the vertical grip on my D200 to make my hands fit.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Quote Originally Posted by racedraper
    what camera! all I see is your big hands, but no camera . I know how you feel about those big sandwich clamper's, I had to buy the vertical grip on my D200 to make my hands fit.

My grip is in the mail...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Well at least you'll never have to wonder what it's like on the other side Nice to have you "back" and glad to hear you're enjoying the 30D.

All the current brands have their strong points and loyal followers. Just goes to show that people should consider a system based on their own shooting style and preference. Not just in a "name" or someone else's recommendation.

I too started out with Canon and tried some other stuff in between. Came back to Canon in the end.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Liz

Very nice shots, Almo.

I don't know the name of the fish - but that shot is GREAT! Sharp, great color (that Canon color I'm very familiar with). And you managed to capture a full (side) view of him/her.

Liz

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Funny thing..Many of us search and go back...My first DSLR was a D40. I owened it for one day before my wife then took it..LOL, so the next day I bought my first Pentax, a K110D...Quickly fell in love with it..Three weeks later after seeing my wifes great photos (better than mine), I went and bought me a Nikon D200...Well, I was lost with it and still same lousy photos...I should mention that my wife has been taken photos for 25 years and is quite good...Anyway, I went back to my K110D and decided the guy behind the camera was more important... LOL...Anyway, I tried going back to the D200 and I did not like it...So I bought a K10D and fell in Love...Shortly there after I bought a K100D Super to replace my K110D because of all the HSM lenses, but I ended keeping all three....Then 2 weeks ago I bought the K20D and am in Love all over again....The D200 sat in closet for nearly a year until my daughter found it while looking for something....She asked me for it and I gave it to her....Wow, all this in a year and a half....My goodness, I am just realizing all the money I spent on this hobby...Not to mention all the lenses..''sigh'', But I digress
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Hey Almo,

Congrats on the new camera!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Frog

Haven't had one single urge to change yet. Love my Canon gear!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Congrats on the new camera. I get your struggle, really. Recently I blew up my Fuji and I debated a while before replacing it with another of the same, and then I read SmartWombat's post in the sports forum about how different my shots were from his Cannon shots at the same race track, which made me wonder. As someone who has always shot more for color than for light, I have to say that I really like the images my camera gives me, and in the end, isn't that the most important thing, regardless of brand?

Congrats, almo!

The decision of brand of DSLR was made for me actually, as I received my *ist D as a gift. 6 months I've had with it so far and no looking back---really happy with it.

Not likely to switch anytime soon either, as my lens collection has doubled plus all the other dedicated accessories for Pentax I also have.

I agree with Jetrim that if you are happy with what your camera gives you it's the most important thing. :thumbsup:

Guys, this is an old thread from last year. I was just made a post to one of the replies.

Thanks though, I've been loving my 30D sice I got it!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Guys, this is an old thread from last year. I was just made a post to one of the replies.
    :blush2: :blush2: :blush2:

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Almo, Still waiting for that Pic-a-Day 2009 you promised... LOL

Rick

Thread Information