ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Digital Rebel - Some of my First shots....

Out of 136 images so far, here's the few that were decent. I haven't used a SLR before, so these aren't perfect. The one I like the most is of the spider though... it's eating a fly... so imagine how small they both are. I can't believe I even found it.

And the moon shot is about 20 minutes before the sunrise shots. I actually did take pictures of the sun before realizing that is probably gonna hurt the camera (and my eye).

These are all taken with the Rebel 18-55 lens or a Canon 75-300 that I got with it.

Please comment on them! You don't have to critique since I know I am still learning, but if you like anything or if I did anything RIGHT, let me know =D

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar
    The moon is a nice catch!

Megan

To me..the second, third, & fourth images really stick out. I like how #3 gives enough light to get a good view of the town, yet doesnt draw all of my attention to the source. I think you should crop some of the sky out, and the tree to the right would be better out of the pic..but overall it definitely works.

#2, I'm not sure which part of the image grabs my attention first, but I would mess around with a little cropping on this picture, too. I like how there are basically three primary colors in the picture that don't blend, yet fit so nicely together. At the peak of the moutain where the sun is setting, it seems the light has over-exposed a few little sections, but then again it also looks like the moutains are 'cutting' the light..so it works for me.

#4, I love the colors, but I would crop about 1" of the lower part/town off, I think there should be a higher emphasis on the hills/moutains, and sky.

Is the last one an African Grey? I have one too, he's mean as hell. In this image I dont like you lost the sharpness of the eyes. I would touch up the eyes in an image program like Photoshop, and crop the top of the bars out..and I think this one works well too.

Cool, I appreciate that feedback. I will mess with them more, those were all "untouched", I am still gonna take them into photoshop and see if there's anything printable or keepable.

It is an African Grey, and he is mean. Soon I am gonna have my cousin take him out of the cage and hold him so I can get a ton of good shots, but I am not taking him out on my own. I am gonna do a big shoot of him, and then a big Cockateel (sp?) also.

Believe it or not, the sunrise/moon shots are from my front yard... I live on a 500 foot cliff overlooking the whole city. Here's the exact same vantage point, in the day... literally from my driveway

Hey Sean,

Did you pull the photos? I'm not seeing any when looking at this thread.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

They all appear up to me, http://www.dungeonstronghold.com/city.jpg should be the city.. not sure what is wrong, they are all up.

Thread Information