ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Photography vs taxes

Anyone buying photography equipment with their tax returns? I had a surprise today - not a good one!

I used to look forward to spending my tax return every year on a new lens, camera, flash, whatever. Not any more! Last year and this year I've had to pay. However, according to my calculations, I expected a nice refund this year. After working on my taxes for almost 6 hours today, I was totally shocked when I discovered I have to pay - a lot!!!!!!!! I went over the figures numerous times thinking I made a mistake. In the end, the IRS won! At any rate, I'm glad it's over. I really don't know how I miscalculated - I'm usually right on the mark. In previous years, I've even purchased the item ahead of time anticipating a nice return. Oh well........

Thankfully I had enough money in my photography budget to get my new Tokina!

Liz

Re: Photography vs taxes

Yeah Liz ....
    I've noticed that too. Every year I increase the percentage (over and above thye matrix) I have held out for taxes. I have had to pay each of the last five years. This year not too bad as I had a LOT of charitable contributions.

I feel your pain.
    Dave

Nikon D60 :thumbsup:
    Nikor 35 f 1.8 ... Nikor 18-200 f 3.5/5.6 ...Nikor 18-55 f 3.5/5.6 ... Nikor 55-200mm f 4.5/5.6
    Nikon SB-600 Flash

Fujifilm FinePix S9000 - A Digicam ...
    Not a true DSLR but close enough :wink5:
    Promaster 5750DX Flash

Nikon FG :thumbsup:
    Nikon 50mm f 1.8 ,,, Quantaray 28-80mm f 3.5-4.5 ... Quantaray 80-300mm F 5
    Nikon MD-E motor drive
    Nikon SB-15 Flash

The taxman hit me a good lick this year. I was half expecting it, but it was still at least double what I had thought it might be. That D300 is probably going to have to be shelved till next April now. I'm like you Liz I'm glad I took the plunge early this year on a couple of lenses that I really wanted and seem to be working out great for me. If I would have waited I know I would not have pulled the trigger on them after seeing my tax bill.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I'm really not a fan of tax returns - the government is essentially squaring up with you after using your money for free for a year, so I try to limit that amount... But paying in is no fun, I agree! Think I'm done with gear for awhile anyway but did already order another c/f card from B&H this morning.

Reminder - they (along with Adorama and possibly others) will be closed 4/18-4/27. B&H says they'll ship orders received after Wednesday 4/16 after they re-open on 4/28...

I feel your pain. This was the first year I had to pay too. Didn't have to pay much at all but, sucked because I'm used to getting a decent refund
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I went to an accountant this year and got a sweet return - but I'm starting to put some of my freelance earnings into CDs this year. I'm doing so much freelance that I'm worried I will have to pay next year... not looking forward to that at all.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

If you doing a lot of freelance stuff better up your withholding or file the quarterly tax stuff. The IRS will get you big time if you owe, and your over their limits!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Got mine done early and got back my refund. My purchases:
    Nikon 80-200 f2.8, hood and UV Haze filter
    MB-D80 battery grip
    SB 600 flash

Used all for soccer pics, mountain bike race pics and even a sweet 16 birthday party -- also use them all to annoy my own children. ;) And I must say that I'm absolutely in love with the 80-200.

mbb

Weellll...we are set so that we pay one and get back from the other. Our get back is usually about $100 or so more than our pay. So it's a wash.

This year, I'm paying estimated quarterly payments. If I didn't work at all, we'd be fine, but because I am earning, we get hosed. Every time.

So no new equipment.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I have always paid every year. Usually a small amount, but I would rather pay a few hundred in April, than go to sleep thinking Uncle Sam is using my money interest free.
    I do need some more cards and will be ordering a Solmeta GPS in a few days, as soon as they are ready to ship their new model; the N2.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

haha the ONE good thing about making so little money each year (student!) is that i always get everything back thats taken out... but everything is only like $300. but couple that with my $600 gov check and i could be close to a new lense (80-200 maybe- i wanted then 70-200 vr though) or start saving for a new car since mine is about to rust away- not to mention my student loans i'll need to start paying... guess i should try to earn some extra cash.... anyone want to buy some photos?
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Pentax Forum Moderator

Kim and I got wholloped this year. Even with a ton of write-offs, the paper delivery business was very lucrative on the front end and not understanding the need to pay Self Employed Taxes quarterly, we're winding up paying a bunch. If you're self employed, and that includes freelance photographer, make sure you either put away at least 15% of your income monthly or pay your quarterly SE tax, or be prepared for a major hit at the end of the year.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information