ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Just saying hello again =)

Hey all,

I know I don't come on here much, so I don't expect to be remembered too well, lol, but I figured I'd stop in and say hello

I've been working on my portfolio, this time all fashion. Last time I posted I was probably trying for a glamour book - pretty girls in skimpy outfits - and I found out that it bored me. LOL Can you believe it? It just wasn't getting my creativity going.

After much soul-searching, I realized that the very first thing that had really gotten my attention in photography was fashion. Plus I was also working a lot with this one model, Yuliya, who is so damn classy, mysterious, and creative - but totally fashion - that I think I finally realized that what Asylum Steve said to me (possibly in one of my last threads from many months ago) made perfect sense: fashion is more interesting than glamour (to him), because it allows you to create a fantasy (please forgive the paraphrasing, Steve!).

I'm finally understanding what fashion is all about - style, beauty, and impossible fantasy. It's great! I don't know why it took me so long to get to this conclusion, it was there all along. It took some work - months of introspection - to get it out.

So I've been working a lot with all-new models, using different techniques, working from concepts, shooting with makeup artists and stylists, learning subtle retouching in Photoshop, and finally learning studio lighting. I revamped my site to show off the new stuff, though I'm still working on rounding out my portfolio: www.gabriel-diaz.com

I'm still shooting with my trusty Canon D60, won't bother upgrading till I can afford the 5D - or possibly go back to film and use neg scanners - and a new favorite lens, the Tamron 17-35 2.8/4, plus I just bought the 580EX Speedlite (best flash I have ever used!). Soon to be buying some Alien Bees B800 monolights, and this weekend I will be shooting in a rented studio for some beauty shots with the 580 and an umbrella. These photos will replace my current beauty shots (they're somewhat ordinary).

The plan is to take the book to agencies and editors, maybe shoot some free stuff to get more tears and eventually, as I improve some more, get some editorial and catalog work. Miami is, apparently, an excellent place for shooting catalog stuff.

So yea... whew! That's the long and short of it

So how ya'll doin'?
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Welcome back...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I know I don't come on here much, so I don't expect to be remembered too well, lol, but I figured I'd stop in and say hello
    Yeah, Gabe. I was wondering how you were doing...

It's kinda cool when you get revelations in your work and career, isn't it? When finally some things fall into focus, and a path becomes clear. It's only happened to me a few times over the years, but each time became a powerful motivator to create new work.

I like the pics on your updated site a lot. You're starting to capture more of a style and emotion that's sort of intangible. That really is the toughest thing to learn.

And having a talented and hard-working model as a "muse" is almost essential, so I'm pleased to see you've made that kind of connection...

Listen, I'm itching to work down in Miami again big-time. Last time was quite a few months ago. I'll let you know what my plans are, so maybe we can hook up and shoot some great stuff...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Welcome back...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

Listen, I'm itching to work down in Miami again big-time. Last time was quite a few months ago. I'll let you know what my plans are, so maybe we can hook up and shoot some great stuff...
    That'd be great, Steve. Please keep in touch, I'll try to do the same. And thanks for the words of encouragement ;) I'm trying, lol. I never thought I would get the concept of fashion as I don't care so much about the clothes, but now I see that they are a tool to convey my concept. And, well, that rocks.

www.gabriel-diaz.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Welcome back...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I never thought I would get the concept of fashion as I don't care so much about the clothes, but now I see that they are a tool to convey my concept. And, well, that rocks.
    Gabe, you're painting. You have of think of it that way. The styling of your shot is a huge and amazing palette that compliments your lighting and the look of your model.

I've spent a lot of time the past couple of years accumulating wardrobe and accessories. I look for unique or classic items that will fit perfectly with the type of shot I have planned, specifically things that match my lighting.

So, as I paint a model with light, if that light will be soft and directional with a thin "brush stroke", I want delicate and more subtle wardrobe that reflects the same feeling.

On the other hand, a straight-on ring light in an industrial setting will call for perhaps metalics (or animal prints!) and bold reflective accessories to reinforce the "in your face" feel.

They all have to fit, and, as I think you've found out, it's really a kick when you fit a look and lighting to a model, and it all comes together and works...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Just saying hello again =)

Gabe,

I really liked your portfolio. I thought some of your shots were very refreshing where there are elements besides your model -- but they didn't distract.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Re: Just saying hello again =)

Steve, Styling is something I'm still working on. I have a stylist that I work with (we barter for each other's time as she needs photos of her stuff, and loves my work) who has been helping me out a lot in my last shoots. I'm learning through her. At this point I am conceptualizing and finding the clothing/accessories to match the idea, but have not yet been inspired the other way around. I am trying to find a local designer to work with and see where that takes me.

One major setback I have had is finding models that are not only good, but reliable. I should have been done with my book in February, at the latest, but I have met a lot of my models through the Internet, and you know what that means, lol. The idea was to hit up the local agencies and test with their models (for free, I know ), but I missed the season now. Maybe I was fussing too much over "completing" the portfolio - as if it's ever really done! But I've learned the most these past few months, working to become very consistent in quality and taking everything to the next level, so maybe it's best if I got stalled a bit.

Tim, thank you... When I got back into shooting models, one of the first things I realized is that I will need something other than a girl in the picture - I need other elements that will add to the story, even if it means just pulling back a little and letting in some of the environment into the photo (like, for example, an airplane taking off, lol). It's good to know someone out there thinks I'm pulling it off

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Thread Information