ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Big Cottonwood Canyon

I was out riding a few weeks ago and saw a photographer with an SLR and tripod taking pictures. We spoke for a few minutes and exchanged e-mails. Last Thursday, Eric picked me up and we went up Big Cottonwood Canyon for a little photo excursion. Hopefully there will be many more and other Utah members will join us.

I'd never been in Big Cottonwood Canyon and I am very happy Eric showed it to me. It's just above Salt Lake City and has two ski areas up at the top - Brighton and Solitude. The valley at the top of the canyon is about 8,000 feet in altitude and the peaks around the valley reach up over 10,000 feet. It's very much high alpine terrain with tons of wildflowers, aspen stands, and lots of wildlife. I saw a moose on the drive up with Eric. And this is all only about 45 minutes from my new home

The photos below were all taken with the new Casio Exilim EX-V7. I'm working on a review of it. It's a pretty nice little 7-megapixel pocket-camera. It's got a 7x optical zoom lens, manual exposure controls, image stabilization, and a very effective auto ISO setting that I actually trust. And since it's so small, there's no penalty carrying it on the mountain bike. That's a big deal for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Cottonwood Canyon-cimg0496.jpg   Big Cottonwood Canyon-cimg0503.jpg   Big Cottonwood Canyon-cimg0525.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Big Cottonwood Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I was out riding a few weeks ago and saw a photographer with an SLR and tripod taking pictures. We spoke for a few minutes and exchanged e-mails. Last Thursday, Eric picked me up and we went up Big Cottonwood Canyon for a little photo excursion. Hopefully there will be many more and other Utah members will join us.

I'd never been in Big Cottonwood Canyon and I am very happy Eric showed it to me. It's just above Salt Lake City and has two ski areas up at the top - Brighton and Solitude. The valley at the top of the canyon is about 8,000 feet in altitude and the peaks around the valley reach up over 10,000 feet. It's very much high alpine terrain with tons of wildflowers, aspen stands, and lots of wildlife. I saw a moose on the drive up with Eric. And this is all only about 45 minutes from my new home
    John,

Now that's a good way to pick up some prospective PR members! Beautiful country - it looks like you chose the right place - for a photographer - to live. Pictures are great - hope to see more.

Liz

Here are a few pictures I took with my XTi digital SLR. The first one is of Eric, in action. In one of the others you can see that there is still some snow up on the higher ridges and peaks. It's really wonderful up there. I love the Wasatch Mountains and the quick high country access I have from Salt Lake. It makes for good digital camera sample photos, too :thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Cottonwood Canyon-_mg_1143.jpg   Big Cottonwood Canyon-_mg_1150.jpg   Big Cottonwood Canyon-_mg_1145.jpg   Big Cottonwood Canyon-_mg_1109.jpg  
    Photo-John

Hey, I couldn't help but notice Big Cottonwood in the title of this thread. I am a student at Westminster College down here in the valley. So I'm only about 20 minutes from the canyons. If you haven't seen Little Cottonwood yet, drive just a bit further past the mouth of Big Cottonwood and it will dump you into Little. Little Cottonwood is my favorite out of the two. There are a ton of great trials for hiking and biking up the canyons. At the tops of the canyons, there are even some 4-6 hour hikes that will take you up to 13,000 ft. Apparently you've just recently moved here, so welcome. You'll love the fall when all the aspen groves start to change color. And if you get into southern Utah, you hit Zions and Moab and all that as well. This really is a fantastic state for a photographer!

You need to take a look through my gallery. I've been back and forth from all parts of Utah for years. It just took me a while to actually make it home

I've been riding the bottom of Little Cottonwood since I moved here and I've skied Alt a couple of times so I already knew that Canyon. And assumed that Big Cottonwood Canyon was pretty much the same. I guess that's why I am so excited about it. I love the way it opens up at the top.

Want to join us for the next hike? Or if you ride, lets go pedal. I want to get a little PR group going here.
    Photo-John

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I want to get a little PR group going here.
    You know I want in on that action!
    :thumbsup:
    BTW John, you should consider changing your location under your avatar to NorUte....
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Very nice John - looks to be such a nice and quiet place - sure you could just lose yourself for hours out there ... Great shots too - very inviting place

really like that last shot - the lake and reflection looks so small and close ... then the trees in the background make you realize just how big of a place it is !!!
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

LOL Yep, after looking through your gallery you definetly have made your way around the Wasatch. Fun stuff up there. Just PM me about the next hike. I'd be down. And if you're looking to start a photo group in the area, I would definetly be down too. I need more exposure to people who are much better photographers than myself!

Deal. That makes four of us, if Eric's still interested - you, me, mtbbrian, and Eric. And I'm sure there will be more.
    Photo-John

I love the waterfall one.

We are busting out our bikes this weekend. Have you ever tried riding with your dog? I know ours could handle the exercise, but I'm afraid I'll run her over. My dad has covered all of Sheboygan on his bike with the dog. I'm curious as to whether his is especially talented, or if other people have done it.

We're 3 minutes from the Kettle Moraine, and have been trying for 4 yrs to get in there on our bikes.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Deal. That makes four of us, if Eric's still interested - you, me, mtbbrian, and Eric. And I'm sure there will be more.
    Now that you are here John, I can see a PR.com gathering in the future!!
    I would gladly organize or help organize it.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information