• 04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Ok lets see here...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo

To PhotoJohn I agree with chunk that we need to bump up the possible number of viewable thumbnails for those who have Broadband speeds while leaving the smaller numbers for dialup users... I would really like to see the option to upload a given image to a third gallery removed. 2 is enough. I only upload my images to 2 galleries at a time. I'm telling you as soon as I did that All of the problems I was getting from crossposting images disappered.

Plus I would like to see a new gallery added for humorous images.

Almo-
    It's not possible for me to have one page for broadband users and another for dialup users. It has to be the same page for everyone. I'll try adding another row of thumbnails and we'll see how that works. Do you guys use the "all images" link below the search box? I use that when I want to look at all of the latest photos. You can also set preferences for how you'd like them sorted. I have mine set so that I see "Most Active." Those are either the most recently posted or ones that have recently had comments posted.

About changing the upload so that you can only upload to 2 galleries, if other people like that idea, I can make that change.

Almo, you should be able to add the humorous gallery, yourself. Give it a shot and if you can't, I'll happily add it. I think it's a good idea.
  • 04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
    mtbbrian
    Re: I guess...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Some people

As I said before, there are a whole bunch of people who would prefer posting on the gallery and don't participate on the forums. They're just different ways for people to share. They both have pros and cons. We aren't trying to replace the forums with the gallery, just rally the troops a little.

I thought this issue was put to rest...
    I guess not?
    I for one have been making an effort to check out and post photographs to the galleries more regularly.
    Brian
  • 04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
    almo
    Re: Ok lets see here...
    Quote:

Almo-It's not possible for me to have one page for broadband users and another for dialup users. It has to be the same page for everyone. I'll try adding another row of thumbnails and we'll see how that works.

The extra row is just what I was talking about, sorry I was not more clear. Right now we can choose up to 18. I would like to have the choice of 30 or more personally.

Quote:

About changing the upload so that you can only upload to 2 galleries, if other people like that idea, I can make that change

I think this would solve a lot of quirky problems.

Quote:

Almo, you should be able to add the humorous gallery, yourself. Give it a shot and if you can't, I'll happily add it. I think it's a good idea.

I'll give it a shot...:eek:;):p
  • 04-07-2005, 01:58 PM
    almo
    Re: I guess...
    Quote:

Some people

As I said before, there are a whole bunch of people who would prefer posting on the gallery and don't participate on the forums. They're just different ways for people to share. They both have pros and cons. We aren't trying to replace the forums with the gallery, just rally the troops a little.

Boy I am just shocked at some of the negative feedback I have seen here, but I won't let it phase me. The galleries are everybit as substantial as the forums. Everybit as important to this website. It is often enough the first section newbies really delve into. For me it was the reviews. For a long time that is all PR.com was to me, but when I found the galleries I really became a member of this site, and it eventually led me to become an even bigger part of this site as a Mod. The forums have done the same thing for many of you aswell. Myself included.

Think of this as well. I have my gallery linked in my email sig line, so that everybody that gets an email from me gets an invite to the galleries, and by assosiation this website and these forums. It's all one big e-Circle of photography! Lets not cut our collective nose of to spite or collective face.
  • 04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Granted!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybean
    Photo-John, is there any way you you can make *one* part of the gallery easier? I get really tired of posting new images when I have to scroll through 1000 camera options each and every time I post a new picture.

Yes. But not that one :p

Actually, I'd like to be able to users choose system preferences for photo uploads. I'd like to continue to require people to choose equipment when they upload. That's an important part of the gallery. But being able to choose a system that it defaults to every time seems like a really good idea. Or maybe we could have a cookie that remembers where the dropdowns were last time you were uploading.

Because of limited engineer time, I don't know how soon I can get someone working on this. But I think it's one area worth putting some effort into.
  • 04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
    almo
    Re: Granted!
    Quote:

Yes. But not that one :p

Actually, I'd like to be able to users choose system preferences for photo uploads. I'd like to continue to require people to choose equipment when they upload. That's an important part of the gallery. But being able to choose a system that it defaults to every time seems like a really good idea. Or maybe we could have a cookie that remembers where the dropdowns were last time you were uploading.

Because of limited engineer time, I don't know how soon I can get someone working on this. But I think it's one area worth putting some effort into.

Hear! Hear!
  • 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    No Access
    FWIW...

I have no idea how many other people have this problem but I just can't get to the galleries. It finds the web site but brain freezes forever. It's not a speed issue as I am on a T1 link here at school and the connection isn't doing anything. This makes it impossible to see the galleries much less comment on anything. This is true of all three browsers, IE, Firefox, and Opera so its not a browser issue. How many other members, if any, can pretty much only read the forums?
  • 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
    Lara
    Re: No Access
    The galleries load faster for me than the forums do. Go figure.

Michael, does the school have certain web sites blocked? I know at the schools where I work, they do. They are blocked by urls, and also key words. Could the school be picking up something in the Gallery url? Just a thought.

We definitely would like to hear from everyone else that might be encountering this problem.
  • 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Michael,

I don't have a problem loading the Galleries here in Sydney, using Broadband ADSL and it loads very quickly.

I am wondering if there is something that the school might have done to block the galleries loading. I know generally that you should get an error page, but you never know what people do these days in IT.

Just a thought.
  • 04-07-2005, 10:02 PM
    Mr Yuck
    Well I didnt know about the galleries...I'll be checking it out and I'll even post my own gallery :D

(I found this through MTBR.com, then kinda forgot about it, then for some reason I remembered it and thought to myself..."hey that sounds like a fun community")

< I thought right >
  • 04-08-2005, 04:57 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara
    The galleries load faster for me than the forums do. Go figure.

Michael, does the school have certain web sites blocked? I know at the schools where I work, they do. They are blocked by urls, and also key words. Could the school be picking up something in the Gallery url? Just a thought.

We definitely would like to hear from everyone else that might be encountering this problem.

Good thought. I have no idea if web blocking is going on. They do monitor activity... I don't access the web site from home anymore as all I have is dialup. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens.
  • 04-08-2005, 05:05 AM
    Peter_AUS
    Lara,

You and I think on the same level too much I think. Look at your last post followed by mine, timeing was 1 min apart, but not apparent whilst typing it out to either of us at the time.
  • 04-08-2005, 05:08 AM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Lara,

You and I think on the same level too much I think. Look at your last post followed by mine, timeing was 1 min apart, but not apparent whilst typing it out to either of us at the time.

That's kinda freaky!
  • 04-08-2005, 06:37 AM
    Lara
    ;) That was quite a coincidence.