ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Coming to SF in September? Off Topic

If anyone is planning on taking a September trip to San Francisco- there will be a free concert in Golden Gate Park at the Polo Fields on September 12 (Dave Matthews Band)
    A fun addition to your trip, and great photo op
    The information for the concert (I believe tix are free, but you pay shipping and handling)
    is here:
    http://radioalice.com/

Cheers!

VillenaDeCorte
    Last edited by villenadecorte; 07-22-2004 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Wrong info
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I'm now planning on October...

Looks now like my trip there will be the weekend of October 8th. So, anything cool going on, keep me posted. Tanks...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I'll be in SF August 10-16. Anything cool going on the 10 or 11?

Hi Kellybean-

on the 10/11 specifically there are over 7 different photography exhibitions, (including Beautiful Losers at the Yerba Buena in SF, and a few others at Henry J Kaiser- Oakland, and a couple in Berkeley)
    and just over 40 music venues... (everything from blues to indie to funk etc.)
    As for theater there are about 10 shows listed (including Moving Out)
    Let me know what you'd be interested in - and I can give you better details....
    Or if you;re just looking for a good bar in the city, I can tell you a few.
    Have an awesome trip

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I'll be in SF August 10-16. Anything cool going on the 10 or 11?
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

events

a couple cool photography shows, Beach Blanket Babylon, Fleet week is that weekend, and the entire Embarcadero is awesome during that time. However I've heard rumors that the blue angels wont be flying this year... but they are scheduled. Hmmm. We got some good shots of them last year. A good time to be in the city. Pier 23 is quite a jammin joint the Sunday of Fleet week, lots of crowds.
    Again, depending on your taste in music, there are a ton of shows going on.... a lot of the cool bars out here- Red Devil Lounge, Sweet Water (Mill Valley), Slims nad Bimbos, all have shows.

Hope you have a great trip

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Looks now like my trip there will be the weekend of October 8th. So, anything cool going on, keep me posted. Tanks...
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Hi Kellybean-

on the 10/11 specifically there are over 7 different photography exhibitions, (including Beautiful Losers at the Yerba Buena in SF, and a few others at Henry J Kaiser- Oakland, and a couple in Berkeley)
    and just over 40 music venues... (everything from blues to indie to funk etc.)
    As for theater there are about 10 shows listed (including Moving Out)
    Let me know what you'd be interested in - and I can give you better details....
    Or if you;re just looking for a good bar in the city, I can tell you a few.
    Have an awesome trip

VillenaDeCorte
    Thanks! I've got to connect with one person, and possibly a second, and have lunch/coffee/drinks with each. I'd probably grab a coffee with my author friend, but it might be nice to meet my other friend at a nice bar in the city, and maybe we'd move on to a musical event. I would love to catch a show, too! I work in theatre on a small scale, and love the big productions.

Then on the 12th I move up to Corte Madera (Book Passage) for a Travel Writing/Photography conference.

So maybe you could let me know what shows are playing, and what your favorite (classy) bars are. My friend will probably know what musical events are going on.

Thanks!
    ~Kelly

Oh, and ps. If you are into that kind of thing, make sure you check out the SF Fringe Festival Sept 9 - 19! I went to the Orlando Fringe Festival this past May and had a fantastic time! There are some great shows at those fringe festivals, (some clunkers too, but that's part of the fun), and usually for the price of one "Big" Broadway-type production, you'd get to see 4 or 5 fun, original, entertaining shows.

"The SF Fringe is inexpensive (no ticket over $8), and 100% of the ticket revenue goes to the performers. Performances are scheduled so you can take in a bunch of shows in one day."

http://www.sffringe.org/fringe04/plays04/04disc.html

depends...

on the neighborhood- I'll give you some info on some touristy and not so touristy places...Northbeach, Russian HIll and Hayes areas.
    There is one place I like its a grungy little dive bar in the Mission, that plays a lot of world music and latin music. Not really a place to take someone to have drinks and catch up though
    For coffee I would suggest Cafe Roma- its large and in NorthBeach on Columbus.
    I'll be back with some other drinks/lounges dinner ideas....
    and shows....

Thanks! I've got to connect with one person, and possibly a second, and have lunch/coffee/drinks with each. I'd probably grab a coffee with my author friend, but it might be nice to meet my other friend at a nice bar in the city, and maybe we'd move on to a musical event. I would love to catch a show, too! I work in theatre on a small scale, and love the big productions.

Then on the 12th I move up to Corte Madera (Book Passage) for a Travel Writing/Photography conference.

So maybe you could let me know what shows are playing, and what your favorite (classy) bars are. My friend will probably know what musical events are going on.

Thanks!
    ~Kelly

Oh, and ps. If you are into that kind of thing, make sure you check out the SF Fringe Festival Sept 9 - 19! I went to the Orlando Fringe Festival this past May and had a fantastic time! There are some great shows at those fringe festivals, (some clunkers too, but that's part of the fun), and usually for the price of one "Big" Broadway-type production, you'd get to see 4 or 5 fun, original, entertaining shows.

"The SF Fringe is inexpensive (no ticket over $8), and 100% of the ticket revenue goes to the performers. Performances are scheduled so you can take in a bunch of shows in one day."

Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

events bars lounges, et al

Events/Shows:

Beach Blanket Babylon

(club Fugazi)

Moving Out

(Golden Gate Theater)

Bars/Lounges/with Entertainment

Lush Lounge

1092 Post St.

Blue Light (Boz Skaggs bar)

1979 Union Street

Tony Niks

1534 Stockton St.

Jade

650 Gough St

Café Du Nord

2170 Market

Boom Boom Room

Fillmore St.

Velvet Lounge

443 Broadway

B44 and Voda

(one of my favorites)

tucked away in the Financial district on Belden lane.

There are a few little bars/cafes here.

This just a smalllllll list. Some of these are kind of trendy, some locals still go to... but they always seem to have a good crowd

I am sure your friend will have a ton of good places to recommend too.

We're actually heading out to the very touristy Stinking Rose on Columbus in a couple weeks for a friends engagement party. PHOTO OP !!

PS- I have checked out Fringe Festival- actually my old boss' neice put on a one person performance and traveled with it, and brought it to the fringe festival, either last year or the year before. Her name is Noni and she's from Australia. I forgot the name of her show though, but apparently it got incredible reviews!

Thanks!
    ~Kelly

Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Gottfried Helnwein- on display at the Legion of Honor SF

Kelly Bean.... you still coming?
    Check out this article:
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...DGKO8459A1.DTL

He'll be at the Palace of the Legion of Honor this week, through November.

I dont know if I recommended any restaurants to you, but a few of my favorites are
    La Luna, in the Mission, and Absinthe in the Hayes....

Hope you enjoy your trip....

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Thread Information