ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Senior Portraits

Here are a few from my second offical paying job. The young lady and her parents were happy with they so I thought I would share these with you guys. Don't be afraid to make any comment if you see something I could improve on. Thanks for looking.

Stina
    (Tina from old board)

Last edited by Stina; 02-05-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Portraits

Hi Tina ... the strength of these shots are the poses and natural smiles on your model. The light looked a bit contrasty in the 2nd on, and lots of dust spots on the first, which, hopefully don't show up on the print. Nice work.

These are good and if the student and parents like them, all the better. She is looking directly at the camera in all three shots. Photo's where the person is not looking directly into the camera really adds to the environmental portraits.

Watch the light backgrounds, such as in photo no. 2. It can be a bit of a distraction. But, I can tell there is a thought process going on in your head while you are setting the poses. Good job.

-Dave-

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I'll have to try some more envriomental type photos. I have a few from this shoot that are kind of like that. Your both right about number 2. I took those at a friends house and last time I took photos there in the late after noon, these were done in the morning and I had to turn her a different way because of the sun so the background is a bit more distracting facing this way I think.

The dust on the first one is just from the scan. I think in need to work on my indoor lighting. I think it has too many shadows on her face. This was my first time to use my new lighting kit so I'll have to keep adujsting.

The lightig in the first one really needs some work.

Try raising the light a bit to create a slight shadow under the nose, that will help to model the face better. Also, try moving it a bit forward to eliminate that harsh shadow in her right eye. Shooting through a white sheet would make a nice diffused light, softening the edges of the shadows a bit.

And experiment with having a fill light right by the camera to fill in the shadows.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information