ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Relaxation...

Relaxation...

is like beauty, it can only be determined by the individual. This was how I was able to get a little relaxation this past weekend during an airshow the airport I work at hosted. Working three 12+ hour days trying to make sure a busy airshow happens safely is a little bit stressful. Meeting the demands of my boss, the performers, my workers and the public can make for a long weekend!

I was able to get a ride with Team Red, an aerobatic team that flies old Warsaw Pact trainers. I was flying in a Chinese CJ-6A and the airshow coordinator, Judy, was riding in a Russian Yak-52. That is the airplane pictured.

This was interesting for me because I couldn't see through the viewfinder. I had the seatbelts drawn up over the parachute very tight so I had to brace the camera (a Canon 1D gets heavy when you start pulling 3-4 g's) and guess at where to shoot. I was using my 28-135 at 28mm and shooting in program mode since I knew the lighting was going to be changing drastically.

We went out and did 3 loops and a barrell roll during the flight. This picture isn't very good technically, I would have prefered to have the entire airplane in the shot but it's kind of neat when you see the horizon!

You can see the entire series of shots, 30 of them, on this page: http://www.troybates.com/Aviation/TeamRed/index.shtml

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Evenin' Troy

I'm not a huge airplane buff (anymore), but I must tell you that this is a fantastic image. I love every "technical flaw" about it and I would have a 16" x 24" print of it matted and hanging from my wall. Luck was on your side that day!

Excellent capture Troy.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

the whole series

is so cool...wow! wat a great opportunity...you have a lot of "keepers...

great shots thanks for sharing...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Wow, this is a nice shot. Not technically perfect, but it's still great! I'm actually supposed to be going flying tomorrow.... hopefully... I've had to reschedule a couple of times due to weather. I only hope my shots turn out as nicely as yours.

I think I'm gonna throw up...

No, cool shot! The direction of the light is good and because you're upside down, the shadows are on the top - which makes it look a little different.

Talking What a wonderful experience!

Those are GREAT shots!

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Feeling woozy already....

GREAT shot.

I went skydiving once, and freefall was awesome - but when we started floating, and spiraling, and the horizon started see-sawing, I wondered what would happen if I biffed from a mile above the earth. This photo gives me that same feeling!

Megan

Thread Information