ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photojournalist wrong?

This photo from the murder suicide I posted a few days ago depicts the victims son. Many people are angered by it. I would like to know what all of you think.

Do you agree with the locals? They think it shows no compassion on the part of the photographer/paper.

http://www.macon.com/images/macon/ma...1116481048.jpg

Re: Photojournalist wrong?

Personally, I believe reaction shots like this, while they may or may not be 'newsworthy' violate the privacy of the individual. I try to think about how I would feel in that person's shoes. Would I want my grief and shock displayed for all to see? Photojournalism certainly has a place in news gathering, but whenever I see a microphone stuck in the face of someone who's just suffered a terrible loss, or a picture depicting a reaction to a very personal loss, it tends to rub me the wrong way. I think it should be incumbant of all editors or journalists to use discretion when dealing with such matters. If the death is a public person or celebrity it's one thing, but someone who's lost a family member in a violent manner is another. I don't find these kinds of shots compelling at all.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    This photo from the murder suicide I posted a few days ago depicts the victims son. Many people are angered by it. I would like to know what all of you think.

Do you agree with the locals? They think it shows no compassion on the part of the photographer/paper.
    This is always a problem with photojournalism. In the past, I have gotten into heated discussions with people right here on this site who take photographs of street people. They claim it is "compassion" when, in reality, it is taking advantage of a person who no longer even has his/her dignity left. A huge heart-felt difference of opinion.

Do you take photographs of fires, someone's home and possessions disapperaing before their eyes? Do you take photos in Iraq of mothers whose children have been killed? How about the flag-draped coffins of servicemen that the military refuse to allow photographers to take pictures? Dead students, frightened live students at Columbine? The car crash, the train accident, the suicide and survivors... It goes on and on.

Good photojournalism is a very tough job. Decisions are made with just a second or two to discuss morality and ethics. Worse yet, each decision will create disagreement on all sides. Some become famous and hailed for their insight and art, others get reviled. Many times, both apply to the same photographer.

In my opinion, it is what it is. Yeah, maybe trite, but that is the best that anyone can really do.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

payn817,

I see nothing wrong with it, it shows emotion and it's a good journalistic capture. I would have taken the same shot given the oppertunity. Do not let those who complain bother you, once you do you will lose your own creativity, and then your finished.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information