ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Charlotte, NC, anyone ever heard of it...?

Rhi, a friend of ours, and I decided to take a roadtrip out to Charlotte to visit an old friend. Along the way, I am determined to uncover the mythical "World's Largest Ball of Twine," and find the runaway sasquach. (Sam and Max fans anyone...?)

Anyway, I would like to know if there is anything of interest either in the immediate vicinity or along the way to Charlotte. I will be spending a weekend there and I am sure that we'll be out a lot taking advantage of the somewhat better weather than we're experiencing here.

If anyone has any pointers, please let me know. We are leaving the 12th of March and returning the 15th.

SPEED...

How far away are you form Charlotte? I won't be able to visit, but might it be possible to meet for lunch or dinner in the city?

Let me know.

Thanks in adbvance everyone.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Talking I Know, I Know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Rhi, a friend of ours, and I decided to take a roadtrip out to Charlotte to visit an old friend. Along the way, I am determined to uncover the mythical "World's Largest Ball of Twine," and find the runaway sasquach. (Sam and Max fans anyone...?)

Anyway, I would like to know if there is anything of interest either in the immediate vicinity or along the way to Charlotte. I will be spending a weekend there and I am sure that we'll be out a lot taking advantage of the somewhat better weather than we're experiencing here.

If anyone has any pointers, please let me know. We are leaving the 12th of March and returning the 15th.

SPEED...

How far away are you form Charlotte? I won't be able to visit, but might it be possible to meet for lunch or dinner in the city?

Let me know.

Thanks in adbvance everyone.
    You are going to be five hours away from me. So close, yet so far...

As for places to visit, cruise along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Spectacular views. Something along these lines: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=437147

Mount Mitchell, Linville Gorge, Linville Falls, there are too many to name them all. These are not in the immediate Charlotte area, but you will pass relatively close by them on your way in and your way out. I can look for you and see what I can come up with. Ask your friend about what is in the Charlotte area.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

BRP is pretty far from charlotte though. I live in Greenville, SC about an hour away from Charlotte. I am in the blue ridge area all the time (going riding there saturday) and if you are there, the opportunities for pictures are endless. I assume you could find stuff in charlotte too, I took this in downtown Charlotte, right next to the Panther's stadium.

Hhaha, probably not exactly what you were looking for, but Im sure you could find stuff there.

Been there, done that. We stopped there for a couple of days in 2000 on a road trip. From what I had heard, I wasn't expecting much and I'm not into NASCAR or golf. But it turned out to be a really great place, hope to make it back there someday. There's alot to see and do, just like the rest of NC (if I ever make it out to the Outer Banks I'll probably never leave). Usually we try to stay downtown and I take a walk with a camera in the morning. That morning I didn't because the view from about 20 floors up was pretty nice.

I shot this on Elite Chrome 200 (what was I thinking!!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charlotte, NC, anyone ever heard of it...?-crane.jpg  

Have to come through KY.

If your are going to NC you will have to come through Kentucky. Don't know what route you will take but once you know I can suggest some nice photo ops in what ever part of KY you are in. Beautiful state with lots of varied landscape and points of interest. And don't forget Steve Lutz is in Lousiville that's a site no photographer would want to pass up. He may be able to get you into one of his famous parties for some candid shots.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You can also visit...

The Schiele Museum of Natural History...
    http://www.schielemuseum.org/start.asp
    I have never been there, I just share a last name with the place.
    Don't know if there is any relation with it's Schiele's either.
    Any of your NC people been there?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information