The Buffalo Central Terminal was on my list of "Places to See" again, I had a chance to visit the lauded train station back in the summer of 2007.

Thankfully my visit coincided with a work day hosted by the Central Terminal Restoration Corp. (CTRC), who graciously let us wander the concourse of the main level, before they closed up for the day.

I wasn't able to visit the other sections of the terminal, but I got to see the parts I wanted to.

The BCT was built in 1929 in the Art Deco style. Designed to service 3200 passengers per hour operated until 1979, switching owners several times during it's operation. The final train departed from the station on October 28th, 1979.

Even though passenger service ceased, trains continued to move through the station proper, while markets, parties, and ball hockey were played inside. In 1984 the station was added to the Register of Historic Places.

In 1986 the station was abandoned, when the owner went bankrupt. Massive damage followed (it's located in a now rough area of Buffalo, I locked my car doors driving through it to get here!), but tearing it down would cost 12-million, a bill no one wanted to foot.

Enter the CTRC, who purchased the tower and main building of the station for a dollar (along with the $70,000 of back taxes owed). They are currently working towards the restoration of the station.