Canonet Test Roll Photos

Printable View

• 07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
    schrackman
    4 Attachment(s)
    Canonet Test Roll Photos
    I shot my first roll of film on the Canonet under what I thought would be some of the more difficult lighting situtions (mid-day). I wanted to see how accurate my meter was and just how it would fare in such conditions. The pictures are just "snapshots," didn't try to get creative at all. Shot with Kodak Gold 200 (couldn't find 100) and printed at Wal-Greens on glossy Fujicolor Crystal Archive, no density added, as I wanted to see how they would come out at a 1-hour photolab (again, trying not to make the greatest scenario for prints).

Most of the prints had good exposure and color saturation. A few were overexposed by me, but it appears the Canonet hasn't any light leaks and is accurate in color reproduction. I didn't do any post processing to these except for a bit of sharpening and lightnening on a couple photos to match the prints. Scanned on an Epson 3170 from the prints themselves (couldn't find my negative attachment for the scanner!!)

#1 Some bushes & flowers from next door.
    #2 My dogs Peter & Spike
    #3 A flower from down the street.
    #4 A door in Palm Springs.

So, what's your verdict? Think the little Canonet held its own?

Next roll of film will be in b/w and I will try to get a bit creative.
  • 07-21-2006, 04:55 PM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Canonet Test Roll Photos
    And a couple of kids who attended our church's vacation Bible school.
  • 07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
    Old Timer
    Not bad at all. I'll bet you're thrilled with your purchase. I really like the door and the dogs.
  • 07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
    mjs1973
    They look pretty good to me!!
  • 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM
    schrackman
    Yep, sure am. Not bad for $58, eh? I'm even more surprised that I exposed most of them properly with a film camera, lol. Can't wait to see how the b/w roll comes out. This can get addicting! Oh wait, I'm already addicted...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Not bad at all. I'll bet you're thrilled with your purchase. I really like the door and the dogs.

• 07-21-2006, 09:43 PM
    schrackman
    Thanks, Michael! I've noticed, however, that the hardest thing to get used to with this camera is the focus ring. A few of my photos, though well exposed, were just a tad out of focus. But one good thing is that going from digital to film really makes you stop and THINK about what you're doing before you shoot! Digital has spoiled me the past few years, now I've got to work a little at a photo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    They look pretty good to me!!

• 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    But one good thing is that going from digital to film really makes you stop and THINK about what you're doing before you shoot! Digital has spoiled me the past few years, now I've got to work a little at a photo!

I think this has been a problem for many us. We start to let the camera do the thinking for us when we should be the master of the instrument not the other way around.