ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Take that UV off at night

This one is for all of you anti-UV shooters. I have always taken the UV off at night because of all of the flaring problems it seems to cause, but this is the first time this problem ever happened to me. I forgot to take it off and as you can see the beer signs reflected back off of the filter and back to the film. Look on the pavement. I have only seen this once before and that was here at PR. Another View mentioned that one in my last post about the UV filter. I thought I would share this for those who have never seen it.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Take that UV off at night

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    This one is for all of you anti-UV shooters. I have always taken the UV off at night because of all of the flaring problems it seems to cause, but this is the first time this problem ever happened to me. I forgot to take it off and as you can see the beer signs reflected back off of the filter and back to the film. Look on the pavement. I have only seen this once before and that was here at PR. Another View mentioned that one in my last post about the UV filter. I thought I would share this for those who have never seen it.

Interesting and useful information.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I've never had that happen and never take the UV filer off, you sure there was moisture causeing the reflection? I do use the hoya UV (0) so that too may make a difference.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    I've never had that happen and never take the UV filer off, you sure there was moisture causeing the reflection? I do use the hoya UV (0) so that too may make a difference.

JS
    Yes I am sure. The pavement was dry. I have a Tiffen Filter, not a cheapo. A Hoya may be better. I have a few Hoyas an love them.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Interesting example. Thanks for posting it. I wonder if multi-coating would prevent this...or was your filter multi-coated? I'm not a big user of UV filters...just curious.

BTW...I notice your avatar has changed a few times and this latest one seems to reflect a slight upgrade from that R you got a while back. I guess you're liking the RF world?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Interesting example. Thanks for posting it. I wonder if multi-coating would prevent this...or was your filter multi-coated? I'm not a big user of UV filters...just curious.

BTW...I notice your avatar has changed a few times and this latest one seems to reflect a slight upgrade from that R you got a while back. I guess you're liking the RF world?

Paul
    Yes I am enjoying the RF world. The lens is a Nokton 40mm SC. I am not sure about the Tiffen UV if it is multi coated, probably not. The Nokton could be the problem. But wow what a fast lens. This was hand held.

Sony a99/a7R

Yes I am enjoying the RF world. The lens is a Nokton 40mm SC. I am not sure about the Tiffen UV if it is multi coated, probably not. The Nokton could be the problem. But wow what a fast lens. This was hand held.
    Gotta love the RF when you're shooting in low light. I've heard a lot of good things about that Nokton. Wish my R2 had 40mm framelines. I need a faster lens.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Re: Take that UV off at night

So remind me, what RF are you using?
    Was this shot with that?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

The M6. You should look at the 35mm Ultron 1.7 I have no 40mm framelines but the 35 that's on the M6 seem to be 100%. I am getting more use to it.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information