ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Slow aviation year for...

me.

The closest I got to an aisrhow this year was the Annual Stearman Fly-in. And even then, was only able to stop for an hour or so at mid-day. Not much action & bad lighting. But managed to get a couple that weren't bad.

I did notice that I need to get my internal balance reset as I don't recall the ground sloping as much as my photos would lead you to believe!:blush2:

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Talking Re: Slow aviation year for...

"I did notice that I need to get my internal balance reset as I don't recall the ground sloping as much as my photos would lead you to believe!":blush2:

Not bad, in fact, pretty dog gone good considering the lighting.

;-)

I really like the first one buddy!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Slow aviation year for...

Thanks buddy. My in-laws were visiting and my father-in-law has emphysema and so couldn't hang out as long as I would have liked. But they wanted to go see the airplanes so...a short visit's better than no visit.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

I know how you feel. I've missed all but the Evanston, Wyoming airshow as far as western airshows are concerned. Hopefully I'll be getting down to Nellis in November though. And you did do very well considering the light.

Thanks! Are you a pilot? I've been meaning to ask you that for a while now.

We're hoping next year to make some of the airshows in the region. Through the season, there are several relatively good sized shows within about 3hrs driving.

Now all I have to do is get a better long lens!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Yep, I am a pilot. I'm doing a flight operations degree and I'm working on my commercial at the moment. I assume you're a pilot because of the "I_Fly" thing, haha.

A great show here in Utah is the Hill AFB show every other year. Last time they even had some F-22's temporarily at the base that did some demos. Turns out one of my old high school buddies is working on them now too.

I need a longer lens too. A friend loaned me his 80-400 once before. It's slow, but man the 400mm is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    I did notice that I need to get my internal balance reset as I don't recall the ground sloping as much as my photos would lead you to believe!
    Funny how that works, and I've done a lot worse... I think usually I'm pretty good at keeping the ground level, but was really surprised the first time I shot at an airshow. The angled lines of the planes fool your eye.

This summer went fast for me too and I haven't made it to an air show in a couple of years. The one here in Rockford is supposed to be really, really good but I haven't been around. And there's always the mid-winter balloon festival in Hudson WI.

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    I assume you're a pilot because of the "I_Fly" thing, haha.
    Yup, I've got about 300 hrs as a private pilot. But haven't flown for over a year because of a inter-state move and job change, etc. But I'm having some serious withdrawls!!

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    I need a longer lens too. A friend loaned me his 80-400 once before. It's slow, but man the 400mm is nice.
    The Sigma 80-400? I've been eyeing it but have read that it's kind of slow focusing. I'm slowing saving for the 100-400. That's my goal, it's just hard to be patient.

Good luck on the flying. Take photos of the airports and airplanes you see and visit. I'll always throw in my 2cents on 'em.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I think usually I'm pretty good at keeping the ground level, but was really surprised the first time I shot at an airshow. The angled lines of the planes fool your eye.
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Even consciously trying to keep an eye on the horizon doesn't work. It seem like I always have a lot of goofy horizons. I think part of my problem is when I pan, I usually set my feet solidly, keep my arms locked and just move at the waist to minimize camera shake.

This summer went fast for me too and I haven't made it to an air show in a couple of years. The one here in Rockford is supposed to be really, really good but I haven't been around. And there's always the mid-winter balloon festival in Hudson WI.
    Maybe we can meet up at the Rockford show some year. Or at the Quad Cities or Peoria show. It would be great to meet a fellow PR member.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Wink I did notice that I need to get my internal balance reset...

"as I don't recall the ground sloping as much as my photos would lead you to believe!" :blush2:

I keep my internal grid lines turned on in my camera, yet somehow I seem to be about one degree off plum in way too many of my photo's. Thank God for Image>Rotate>Custom !!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Maybe we can meet up at the Rockford show some year. Or at the Quad Cities or Peoria show. It would be great to meet a fellow PR member.
    Sounds good, QC and Peoria aren't that far from here. I had the Tokina 80-400 and it was a really good lens - maybe a little soft past 300 but a lot of them tend to be from what I've read. OTOH, I don't have a ton of shooting experience at 300+ so some of it could be me of course! In the 80-200 range, it's was as sharp as my Nikon 80-200 f2.8. AF wasn't great though...

My only problem is with a 1D's files being so small, I hate to lose anything to a crop! But that is an awesome tool!!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Sounds good, QC and Peoria aren't that far from here. I had the Tokina 80-400 and it was a really good lens - maybe a little soft past 300 but a lot of them tend to be from what I've read. OTOH, I don't have a ton of shooting experience at 300+ so some of it could be me of course! In the 80-200 range, it's was as sharp as my Nikon 80-200 f2.8. AF wasn't great though...
    I'm always considering alternative lenses. I wonder if they made the Tokina in the EOS mount? I know that my 1st gen 75-300 is soft most of the time at 300mm. I'd love to have that extra 100mm for my 1D.

I'm already planning on trying to make QC and Peoria next year. Hopefully things will work and we can meet at one of them.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information