ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Mirrorless Cameras Quick Poll

Just posted a new Quick Poll on mirrorless cameras. Which camera company do you think makes the best mirrorless camera system? Click on the link below to vote:

Mirrorless Cameras Quick Poll >>

Feel free to follow up here and share your vote and why you think that system is the best.And if you've got any questions about mirrorless cameras, ask away! You can also check out our Compact System Cameras Forum and the Compact System Cameras User Reviews. If you own a mirrorless camera and haven't posted a user review yet, please do - your reviews are the foundation of this site
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Mirrorless Cameras Quick Poll

Well John for me it was between the E-M5 and NEX system and I gave it to Sony. The E-M5 is a great camera but I think Sony has them on cameras. Olympus certainly has better lens choices. As a whole I think Sony has the best choices in bodies.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Well John for me it was between the E-M5 and NEX system and I gave it to Sony. The E-M5 is a great camera but I think Sony has them on cameras. Olympus certainly has better lens choices. As a whole I think Sony has the best choices in bodies.
    Thanks for voting and commenting, Greg. I tend to agree with you and the Sony NEX system is out front right now. There aren't very many votes yet, though.
    Photo-John

I was going to vote for Sony, but - I've seen too many people struggling to hold a tiny NEX body with a (relatively) huge 18-200mm zoom attached. It has to be small AND fit well in the hand. I think that Sony's DSLR-size sensor makes the lenses be too big.

The only Micro 4/3 camera that interested me was the Panasonic with the little motorised zoom lens that closes up really small. I feel all the other body/lens combinations are too big.

I think that the 1 inch size sensor will dominate the market one day. Smartphones are getting close to the image quality of current compacts (with tiny sensors). To survive, compacts have to go to a much bigger sensor while remaining small (as demonstrated by the Sony RX100), with an image quality not too far from the Micro-4/3 and APS-C cameras.

If you build a mirrorless camera around a 1 inch sensor then you can keep the lens size reasonable and have a usable camera-lens combination. And that's what Nikon have done with the 1 Series.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Though I did vote (I would love a NEX), I think we try way, way too hard to put cameras (and their users) into little categories so that we can easily compare them. There are so many different reasons for owning a mirrorless camera system that 'best' has very little meaning. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The Olympus OMD is a beautiful camera and has to be seen and handled to fully appreciate it. I had the chance to do so recently and could easily have been tempted if I was in the market for a new camera..

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Though I did vote (I would love a NEX), I think we try way, way too hard to put cameras (and their users) into little categories so that we can easily compare them. There are so many different reasons for owning a mirrorless camera system that 'best' has very little meaning. - Terry
    Good point. However, it's my job to try to cram stuff into little categories so we can compare and discuss. That's why this site exists and that's what pays the bills. So humor me
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    The Olympus OMD is a beautiful camera and has to be seen and handled to fully appreciate it. I had the chance to do so recently and could easily have been tempted if I was in the market for a new camera..
    I totally agree. I love that camera. I almost bought one but was relieved of the opportunity because the camera shops were all out the day the impulse hit. I got lucky because I really can't afford one right now

Incidentally, I just got the Olympus E-PL5 in for review (intro article, here). It's an Olympus Pen camera with the same sensor the OM-D uses - essentially, a smaller, less expensive camera with much of the same performance as the OM-D.
    Photo-John

The Sony is the only one I have held in my hand. I like it but can't really compare it to the others. I think on paper the OM-D or the X-Pro1 would be my favorite but I don't really feel like I'm in a position to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    The Sony is the only one I have held in my hand. I like it but can't really compare it to the others. I think on paper the OM-D or the X-Pro1 would be my favorite but I don't really feel like I'm in a position to judge.
    It's just a Quick Poll. Matt. You're not voting for the president. Go ahead and vote!
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I totally agree. I love that camera. I almost bought one but was relieved of the opportunity because the camera shops were all out the day the impulse hit. I got lucky because I really can't afford one right now

Incidentally, I just got the Olympus E-PL5 in for review (intro article, here). It's an Olympus Pen camera with the same sensor the OM-D uses - essentially, a smaller, less expensive camera with much of the same performance as the OM-D.
    That E-PL5 may be a great camera,but boy that OM-D is the sexiest camera around....I wish I could afford one...:aureola::aureola:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It's really unfair because I haven't lived with the other systems.
    But having bought and used a GH-1, E-P1 and now OM-D, I have to go with Olympus.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I wonder how many of these models share the same sensor? Anyone know? I would guess the Samsung would be a Sony sensor?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post

I think that the 1 inch size sensor will dominate the market one day. Smartphones are getting close to the image quality of current compacts (with tiny sensors). To survive, compacts have to go to a much bigger sensor while remaining small (as demonstrated by the Sony RX100), with an image quality not too far from the Micro-4/3 and APS-C cameras.

If you build a mirrorless camera around a 1 inch sensor then you can keep the lens size reasonable and have a usable camera-lens combination. And that's what Nikon have done with the 1 Series.
    This is out of context but - I bought a Sony RX100 last night. It's not a mirrorless-interchangeable-lens camera but it does have a 1 inch sensor like the Nikon 1 series. I'll keep you posted. So far I'm delighted with it. Same pocketable size as the Canon S95 but much more headroom to bring back burnt out highlights from the RAW file.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I had the nex5n, and still have the epl1

while the nex runs circles around the oly regarding image quality
    I voted olympus

The ergonomics of the nex really got in my way of shooting

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    I had the nex5n, and still have the epl1

while the nex runs circles around the oly regarding image quality
    I voted olympus

The ergonomics of the nex really got in my way of shooting
    The E-M5 is probably on par with the IQ of the NEX7 but the NEX7 was a big improvement in ergonomics. But as far as features the E-M5 has it. I just think the NEX system has more options with bodies. The LA-EA 2 focuses A mount lenses probably faster than an A mount lens on an A mount body.
    Olympus is up on lenses but there are far to many kit lens quality lenses. I just wish Olympus had put it's finder on the side instead of the middle of the body. I know they were staying true to the OM line but I would have over looked that minor detail.
    I'll probably pick up another NEX sooner or later. I miss the NEX 7 more than I realized I would.

Sony a99/a7R

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'm still running an E-P1, it's rather beat up but still does the job.

Whenever I go on a road trip, it's the digital that I keep in my car, with the 17mm pancake lens, it fits nicely in my center console.

Welcome to the Mass Pike by .:Axle:., on Flickr

Mountain Splendor by .:Axle:., on Flickr

Tunnel//Vision by .:Axle:., on Flickr
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I wonder how many of these models share the same sensor? Anyone know? I would guess the Samsung would be a Sony sensor?
    I'm not positive but I think Samsung makes their own sensors. I don't think they'd be using Sony sensors, even if they don't make their own. Those two companies are just too neck-to-neck competitive and I don't see either one using anything from the other.
    Photo-John

ELS

Hi Axle:

Nice shots!

Sort of gives a newer meaning to the "Dash Cam" idea, doesn't it?

I guess in the "over the steering wheel" type of photos, that is what you did, I am guessing - am I close to being -correct?

Aimed over the steering wheel and pushed the shutter... :thumbsup:

If your vehicle is a standard shift tranny, might be tricking to time the gear shifts and the shutter release button together...

Thanks for sharing the photos...

Have a nice day,

Ed

Thread Information