ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Summer Sweetie

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Summer Sweetie

My 6-year-old by the pond at our house. Maybe I'm completely biased, but she's just unbelieveably photogenic.

Here's a link to a gallery of 6 more shots and their B& W conversions:

http://www.476design.com/ska704/index.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Nope...

You're not biased, she's a made for the camera sweetie for sure. Great pics Andy, and I think my favorite is #7383.
    Great stuff...

Did you convert to the dark side yet, or still thinking of going with the D70? ;)
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

Funny you should ask, Brian - on the same day everyone here told me to get the D70, I visited the local camera/developing store here in Knoxville and was told the same thing. The thing I noticed the most was the amount of USED Nikon inventory (lenses, flashes, etc) that the store gets in outnumbers the Canon inventory about 5 to 1.

So, I'm walking toward the light...I think I'm getting the D70.

Of course, this is all a moot point until I can get my web client to freakin' right the final check!!!!
    Andy Armstrong

Very nice shot.

Good to know there's someone else out there with a perfect child (I've got two!).

Thank you for sharing.

James

Andy....

A couple things to consider about the used Nikon lenses and flashes, just in case you don't know. The manual Nikon lenses will mount and work on the D70, but they will not meter in-camera. This may not matter to you that much if you are doing studio work and use your own light meter. The older AF lenses will work fine and meter, but only the newer "D" and "G" lenses will meter with the 3D Color Matrix meter. But I must say, there are some sweet older AF lenses out there and the center-weighted metering on the D70 is fantastic. I use it quite a bit.
    Now the flashes are an entirely different story altogether. The D70 employs a brand new flash system, i-TTL, and it blows away the older TTL flash, but you must buy one of the 2 new flashes, the SB800 or SB600 (think those are the two) for the D70 to use the new i-TTL. I think the older flashes such as the SB28 or SB80, SB50, etc. will work on the D70, but it won't be i-TTL. Before you buy the D70, make sure which flashes will indeed work on the D70. Also, look into how the flash system works on the D70, as it's quite advanced and employs the Nikon "creative lighting system", in which you can use flashes off-camera wireless in commander mode.
    As for alot more of used inventory by Nikon than Canon, there are probably a couple reasons for that. Admittedly, quite a few people have switched over to Canon, but I believe the bigger reason for this is that Canon switched their mount some time ago, so all of their older lenses will not mount on the newer EOS mount bodies. So you just don't see near as much of the older Canon lenses.
    I know that if you didn't already know all of this info, this might get you to thinking about the 10D again, but I wanted you to know all of this before buying.
    I would look extensively at both cameras and their systems, as well as handling both cameras, seeing which one is ergonomically better for you, and the pricing of all lenses and accesories. You will see that both have advantages and disadvantages, and in the end, you can't wrong with either company. You won't regret buying either as long you know up front what each camera and system can and can't do.
    If you knew all of this before, just disregard my entire message and move on. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    Funny you should ask, Brian - on the same day everyone here told me to get the D70, I visited the local camera/developing store here in Knoxville and was told the same thing. The thing I noticed the most was the amount of USED Nikon inventory (lenses, flashes, etc) that the store gets in outnumbers the Canon inventory about 5 to 1.

So, I'm walking toward the light...I think I'm getting the D70.

Of course, this is all a moot point until I can get my web client to freakin' right the final check!!!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

That's the most straight-forward, honest advice I've received about this purchase. Thank you.

I'm torn between the two. I like the 10D for many, many reasons, but I also like the Nikon for just as many. I think this final decision will come down to what I feel like the day I make the deposit in the bank.

Thanks again, Brian.
    Andy Armstrong

Thread Information