Black and White in Color

Printable View

• 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
    Old Timer
    3 Attachment(s)
    Black and White in Color
    Went out yesterday afternoon just to be getting out into the world and got into a something of a theme with the photos. I started looking for mostly black and white subjects to photgraph in color. White and black together usually present a real exposure problem for me. Here are a three images form yesterday and I would invite anyone that has similar photos to join in and post them in this thread.

(Don't understand why images sometimes load in reverse order on viewfinder.)
  • 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
    photophorous
    Re: Black and White in Color
    Very nice photos, Larry. This kind of contrast can be difficult to expose, but you did a good job with these. Interesting compositions too. I really like the textures in the last one. Do you recall how far your exposure settings were from what the camera's light meter was suggesting?

Paul
  • 03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
    Old Timer
    Paul all of these were shot on manual and I did a center weighted reading off the brighter part of the image and over exposed by 1/2 to 1 stop. There were minor adjustment done in Lightroom Beta. The weathered garage wall was the toughest because the light had failed by that time and it was very overcast, no real highlights. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.
  • 03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Paul all of these were shot on manual and I did a center weighted reading off the brighter part of the image and over exposed by 1/2 to 1 stop. There were minor adjustment done in Lightroom Beta. The weathered garage wall was the toughest because the light had failed by that time and it was very overcast, no real highlights. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Thanks for the details.
  • 03-01-2007, 10:35 AM
    Didache
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hi there ... a very excellent idea for a thread!

This was taken a couple of weeks ago at the British Museum .. it's part of the marbled area in the centre of the museum (maybe you have seen a couple of images I put on the critique forum from the same shoot).

I liked the design of the circular stair here and deliberately waited for the right someone to go up the stairs. This guy rewarded my patience.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
    Old Timer
    Yes I have seen those images you are referring to and this one is just what I was looking for in this thread. Very tough exposure situation. Nice job on it. I think you found the perfect subject for you contrasting object. Hope some other will join in too.
  • 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
    just_yo
    excellent images for a great thread guys. i liked the weathered fence a lot - i wouldn't have realized the challenges. the stairway picture is very artistic.
  • 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
    ken1953
    Excellent shots...I've got to say...I love the title of this thread...I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've got to say...you definitely nailed the title w/the subject matter.....
    This is something I'd like to try...maybe when the winds die down a bit, I'll take a trip around town and see what I can find...
    Ken
  • 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ken1953
    Excellent shots...I've got to say...I love the title of this thread...I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've got to say...you definitely nailed the title w/the subject matter.....
    This is something I'd like to try...maybe when the winds die down a bit, I'll take a trip around town and see what I can find...
    Ken

Well Ken you should be able to come up with something there in Odessa. The weather you've been having lately is playing havoc with my son's business down there too. Hope you come up with something for this thread.
  • 03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
    PhotoGirl
    very neat idea, old timer.
    I really like the last photo, the weathered garage wall.:)
  • 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    very neat idea, old timer.
    I really like the last photo, the weathered garage wall.:)

Thank PG. I struggled with that one more than the ones at the church. Poor quality of light by the time I got to that one. I appreciate your comment. I hope you'll add a couple of your own to this thread.
  • 03-04-2007, 02:26 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    1 Attachment(s)
    Great idea OT.....I am still fumbling around learning the manual settings on my camera and this will give me an opportunity to learn and have fun. Will try and have some pics by the end of next week, Time and Weather permitting....russ Till then heres one from my archives. (I'm a sucker for old buildings).
  • 03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
    Old Timer
    I share your passion for old buildings. Thanks for sharing the great old church.
  • 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    1 Attachment(s)
    You can't own a BW dog and not post him. So here is my dog Lucky. Lucky is very camera shy. In fact he HATES cameras and HATES getting his picture taken even more. Lucky is not so lucky though. He lost one eye and the use of one paw when he was hit by a car. I know it sounds like a joke but its not. I got this shot on his blind side. I am posting it because I am still having trouble with the snow. Should I of used custom white balance using a picture of the snow or should I be looking for one of those grey cards?
  • 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    Larry, I realy like your first picture, the church door. Do you have any suggestions or tips for when I go out on my BW picture outing. Thanks Russ
  • 03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
    mjs1973
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's one from last week.
  • 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    You can't own a BW dog and not post him. So here is my dog Lucky. Lucky is very camera shy. In fact he HATES cameras and HATES getting his picture taken even more. Lucky is not so lucky though. He lost one eye and the use of one paw when he was hit by a car. I know it sounds like a joke but its not. I got this shot on his blind side. I am posting it because I am still having trouble with the snow. Should I of used custom white balance using a picture of the snow or should I be looking for one of those grey cards?

Well in my opinion Russ as far as your colors go this isn't bad. I've done a lot worse in snow than this for sure. Lucky's colors look very good. Gray card metering is never a bad Idea but I have a hard time keeping one with me. My rule of thumb has been to add 1/2 to a stop and a 1/2 of exposure. I have to admit that I cheat and will bracket a little and try to sort it out later.

Thanks for playing along in this thread yours is a good addition.
  • 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
    brhitch
    Larry,
    Decided when I saw your photos I would finally post. I like the last one of the garage wall the best. Now I need to get out and find something black and white to photograph in color. Very different than the wedding I just shot this past weekend.
    Brian
  • 03-06-2007, 06:38 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brhitch
    Larry,
    Decided when I saw your photos I would finally post. I like the last one of the garage wall the best. Now I need to get out and find something black and white to photograph in color. Very different than the wedding I just shot this past weekend.
    Brian

Hey great to see you finally posting here Brian. I appreciate your comments. It's very funny you should mention that garage wall, it's in your father-in-laws back yard. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures here on PR.
  • 03-06-2007, 06:40 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Here's one from last week.

Boy that just happened to fit this thread perfectly. Nice image Brian.
  • 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    Larry, I realy like your first picture, the church door. Do you have any suggestions or tips for when I go out on my BW picture outing. Thanks Russ

I wish I had something more to tell you Russ, but when you are photographing these kind of scenes the main thing to keep in mind is that it is very easy for all that white to fool a light meter. Remember it is always attempting to measure from a gray scale. the best suggestion and I think the best way to learn is to vary or bracket you exposure than when you or in the process stage you can evaluate and decide what worked best and than duplicate that effort on you next photo expedition.
  • 03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
    MonkeyWrench
    Thanks, Larry, I'll give it a try. I have a few places in mind. Just need the time to get there with a camera.
  • 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
    PMW518
    Heres one that i got the other day that i think fits in with this,
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/4...6af2e6a2_o.jpg

Great idea, I think I might try and purposely look for some of these, helps you to work on those different meterings with the lights and darks together. They also have a cool look with just the b&w but being in color. Looking forward to seeing more of these from others.

Phil
  • 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PMW518
    Heres one that i got the other day that i think fits in with this,

Great idea, I think I might try and purposely look for some of these, helps you to work on those different meterings with the lights and darks together. They also have a cool look with just the b&w but being in color. Looking forward to seeing more of these from others.

Phil

I agree it fits great. The thing I think I like about this one the most is the shadow of the feather. In the shadow you a different tones of b&w theme. Nice job on this one thanks for joining in on this thread.
  • 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
    MJS
    1 Attachment(s)
    Couldn't resist a shot after my wife and daughter came back from NYC over the weekend with a pound of black, white and gray M&M's for me. The color one was added by my daughter. For those who don't know, I can only see black, white and the best they can figure, about 16 shades of gray. They tasted much better than they looked.

D200, 100mm/2.8 macro, 1/250 at f/11. SB800 on a stand to camera left through a Photoflex 12 x 9 litedome. White reflector to camera right for slight fill.
  • 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
    MJS
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.
  • 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.

Yep the second post looks much better. I've never seen black and white M&M's. They were perfect for this thread. Would you have known that the blue one got thrown in if you weren't told?
  • 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
    MJS
    When you run a conversion to B&W, you may notice that the blue one is just slightly darker. I had to stare at it for a second or two. My daughter thought the blue one added to the shot. She's a decent writer and like me has trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler, so I'm trying to interest her in photos.
  • 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM
    Chunk
    3 Attachment(s)
    I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.
  • 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
    Chunk
    I like the m&m shot. Look how the location of the highlights varies with the tilt of the candies, that would make a good thing for a super realist painting.
  • 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.

Great entries Chunk. I wondered where you were on this one. It seemed a natural for you and you didn't disappoint. Really love the textures and patterns created in the snow shot. Throw a little wind in with a snow and you can sure get some interesting effects. Thanks for playing along.
  • 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
    Chunk
    Thanks OT. I'm getting tired of a monochrome world, though. Last weekend we had a couple warm days and warm rain so the grass and hayfields are starting to green up finally. Not much for buds on the trees though.

I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.
  • 03-28-2007, 06:34 PM
    cyberlord
    Not much in the way of black and white around here, until the sun sets.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...00mm_moon2.jpg

300mm f11 1/250
  • 03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.

Didn't know Mike was headed back over there. A good friend of our family just got back from his second tour in country and his forth in the middle east. My thoughts and prayers will be with him.
  • 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
    another view
    3 Attachment(s)
    Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.
  • 03-30-2007, 05:44 AM
    Old Timer
    All three are great for this thread Steve. I really like 1 and 3. Chunk is going to be proud of you when he sees these.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.

Larry's right...I love these. As a matter of fact my converted version of one of them won a "Best in Show" in the B&W division of the Photography competition at the local county fair a couple years ago. Here it is in color.

That band shot is a knockout!.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts about Mike.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
    ajuk
    Get one of these Link
  • 04-06-2007, 05:38 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    1 Attachment(s)
    Okay its not the best Black and White Contrast but for Spring its kind of funny in a sad sort of way. "April Spring Barbeque"
  • 04-06-2007, 07:58 PM
    almo
    This is the only example I could find of a color image that appears to be B&W.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Misc/wsws.jpg