Black and White in Color

Printable View

• 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
    MJS
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Black and White in Color
    Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.
  • 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.

Yep the second post looks much better. I've never seen black and white M&M's. They were perfect for this thread. Would you have known that the blue one got thrown in if you weren't told?
  • 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
    MJS
    When you run a conversion to B&W, you may notice that the blue one is just slightly darker. I had to stare at it for a second or two. My daughter thought the blue one added to the shot. She's a decent writer and like me has trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler, so I'm trying to interest her in photos.
  • 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM
    Chunk
    3 Attachment(s)
    I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.
  • 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
    Chunk
    I like the m&m shot. Look how the location of the highlights varies with the tilt of the candies, that would make a good thing for a super realist painting.
  • 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.

Great entries Chunk. I wondered where you were on this one. It seemed a natural for you and you didn't disappoint. Really love the textures and patterns created in the snow shot. Throw a little wind in with a snow and you can sure get some interesting effects. Thanks for playing along.
  • 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
    Chunk
    Thanks OT. I'm getting tired of a monochrome world, though. Last weekend we had a couple warm days and warm rain so the grass and hayfields are starting to green up finally. Not much for buds on the trees though.

I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.
  • 03-28-2007, 06:34 PM
    cyberlord
    Not much in the way of black and white around here, until the sun sets.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...00mm_moon2.jpg

300mm f11 1/250
  • 03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.

Didn't know Mike was headed back over there. A good friend of our family just got back from his second tour in country and his forth in the middle east. My thoughts and prayers will be with him.
  • 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
    another view
    3 Attachment(s)
    Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.
  • 03-30-2007, 05:44 AM
    Old Timer
    All three are great for this thread Steve. I really like 1 and 3. Chunk is going to be proud of you when he sees these.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.

Larry's right...I love these. As a matter of fact my converted version of one of them won a "Best in Show" in the B&W division of the Photography competition at the local county fair a couple years ago. Here it is in color.

That band shot is a knockout!.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts about Mike.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
    ajuk
    Get one of these Link
  • 04-06-2007, 05:38 PM
    MonkeyWrench
    1 Attachment(s)
    Okay its not the best Black and White Contrast but for Spring its kind of funny in a sad sort of way. "April Spring Barbeque"
  • 04-06-2007, 07:58 PM
    almo
    This is the only example I could find of a color image that appears to be B&W.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Misc/wsws.jpg
  • 04-07-2007, 06:45 AM
    Old Timer
    Pretty good example John. Thanks for playing along. That's a long gone friend in the photo isn't it?
  • 04-07-2007, 06:46 AM
    Old Timer
    Maybe not the very best example of b&w in color but it's a great example of what were going through this Spring in our part of the mid-west. Nice shot.
  • 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Pretty good example John. Thanks for playing along. That's a long gone friend in the photo isn't it?

Thanks Larry!

Yeah that's my old D60 that I sold in December to buy my Oly system. I get a little misty eyed when I look at pics of her and my D30.

I stumbled upon this a few minutes ago. I think it fits the theme.

Shot with my Olympus E-500, FL-36 Flash, under a light tent with black velvet background...
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d2_1310899.jpg
  • 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
    PMW518
    Heres a few that I thought fit here that I got from an Easter trip to visit my great uncle on his farm, might have a couple more later on as I get to them with post work. There are some great shots in this thread, the B&W in color has a neat look, keep up the good work everyone.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/4...f37a8fc065.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/4...b07a34de68.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/4...ba3317cee8.jpg
  • 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
    cyberlord
    Killed two birds with one stone with this one.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...m/imgp7535.jpg
  • 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
    Old Timer
    These three are really good additions to the theme of this thread. Love the first one. Great job. Thanks for adding to the fun.
  • 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
    PMW518
  • 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
    Old Timer
    These are very nice as well. Chunk is going to love the first one. The fly on the screen is a great catch too. Your giving me some ideas now if it would ever quit raining It get out there again.
  • 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
    Old Timer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well this one is kind of cheating but it's the only thing I've done recently that even half way fits. It was shot in color as you can tell if you look close, but it was shot as an intentional silhouette. I like the way my daughters pony tail looked from the side and decided to try something different.
  • 04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
    Loupey
    5 Attachment(s)
    Here are a few recent ones that fit (kind of). Difficult to get true black subjects in snow. And I tend not to shoot towards a white sky - with some exceptions.