ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Ansel Adams exhibit in Austin

I just wanted to mention this for anyone in or near central Texas that may not already know. There is an exhibit of 126 original Ansel Adams photos, printed by Adams, in the Harry Ransom Center on the University of Texas campus. It's a great exhibit. It's open every day except some holidays, and it's free. The exhibit will be on display until January '06. I saw quite a few prints I'd never seen before...all very impressive. If you live in the area, there's no excuse not to go.

Here's a link for info (no pictures):
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/current/

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Ansel Adams exhibit in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I just wanted to mention this for anyone in or near central Texas that may not already know. There is an exhibit of 126 original Ansel Adams photos, printed by Adams, in the Harry Ransom Center on the University of Texas campus. It's a great exhibit. It's open every day except some holidays, and it's free. The exhibit will be on display until January '06. I saw quite a few prints I'd never seen before...all very impressive. If you live in the area, there's no excuse not to go.
    I saw some Ansel Adams years ago in DC. I was amazed at how wonderful they looked. No book or poster can convey what these images actually look like up close and personal. You don't know Adams until you've seen his original prints. Don't miss the chance to see them.

If only digital has been around the way it is today, He was a huge fan of the very first efforts before he died.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

He also bought a Hasselblad when they came out, and was an early user of color film, so I'm sure he would have jumped all over digital if he were around.

If this is anything like the exhibit honoring the 100th anniversary of his birth, it's really an important exhibit to see. And yes, original prints created by him are the only way to really appreciate what he was doing.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely have to make a special trip to see this exhibit.

Thread Information