ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I got a wild hair... used 50mm 1.8 at the store in town... 53 dollars...

Everyone talks about 50mm 1.8, so I got the notion to call my poorly stocked camera store today, just on a fancy... and they had a used 50mm 1.8... for 53 dollars.

So I figured, even if it sucks, I sometimes spend more than that on dinner. So I am now a part of the 50mm 1.8 club.

I took some shots on the drive home just barley... but haha, of course, they are hideous. The sun is at it's zenith, its 105 outside (not that that affects the picture much), and I am running around taking cityscape shots at f/1.8, then get home to see just how shallow the focus of a f/1.8 is, haha.

Anyways, I am hoping to have some fun with this lens. It's not an L, but it's cheap and seems to work... it'll hold me off for a month or two while I decide between the 70-200L IS, or the 24-70L...
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Liz

Cool It's a nice lens.......

especially for the money. You can get some sharp results from the 50mm/f1.8. I had one for a few years. Last year I upgraded to the 50mm/f1.4 and am not sorry. Better contrast/color.....and very sharp. However, I enjoyed the 50mm and got some nice images.

Have fun.....let's see some of those $53 lens pics........ ;)

Liz

Good move with this lens, it's a stop and a third faster than a 2.8 lens and sometimes you need all the help you can get. On a DSLR, it is an equivalent 75mm which is an angle of view that personally I think is great for a lot of subjects. For a new one at about $100 you can't go wrong, so that's a good deal.

Talking The 50mm Lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    Everyone talks about 50mm 1.8, so I got the notion to call my poorly stocked camera store today, just on a fancy... and they had a used 50mm 1.8... for 53 dollars.

So I figured, even if it sucks, I sometimes spend more than that on dinner. So I am now a part of the 50mm 1.8 club.

I took some shots on the drive home just barley... but haha, of course, they are hideous. The sun is at it's zenith, its 105 outside (not that that affects the picture much), and I am running around taking cityscape shots at f/1.8, then get home to see just how shallow the focus of a f/1.8 is, haha.

Anyways, I am hoping to have some fun with this lens. It's not an L, but it's cheap and seems to work... it'll hold me off for a month or two while I decide between the 70-200L IS, or the 24-70L...

Has been called the most boring of all focal lengths by some. But I love mine!

While my most used lens is my 70-300mm, I like using the 50mm. The 50mm is a great lens for astrophotography. Until I got my 28-70mm, it was my indoor lens as well (and still is sometimes). It is also my preferred lens for shooting fireworks. Not too shabby for a "boring" focal length. Plus, being able to shoot at f1.8 (or f1.4) can make for some interesting effects, including softening an image.

And for the nay-sayers out there, it just so happens, that you can shoot at f1.4 and everything from 121 feet to infinity is in focus. So theoretically, you can shoot landscapes (from a mountain, hill, etc) at f1.4! Hehehe.

Congratulations on your new acquisition Sean!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    $75 new at B&H, but $53 is still nicer

This lens is on my short list of things to get, unless I cave and get the Tokina 28-70 f2.8 first.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Good call.

The image below is straight out of the camera, wide open at f/1.8, ISO 400, unsharpened. Taken about an hour ago.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

mjm
    that guy.
    i very rarely use mine.

mjm
    that guy.
    nice shot sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    nice shot sebastian.
    Thanks MJM...BTW, that's VODKA, not water...it's been one of those days. ;)
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Talking COOL image Sebastian!

Very nice......shows that it's the photographer that makes the photo! This should be encouraging to everyone - especially those who are looking for the less expensive equipment!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Thanks MJM...BTW, that's VODKA, not water...it's been one of those days. ;)
    The glass says "Coffee"? When was the last time you had a glass of coffee?? Good call on the vodka...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The glass says "Coffee"? When was the last time you had a glass of coffee?? Good call on the vodka...
    It was a Starbucks glass, and I was kidding about the vodka...
    -Seb

My website

Thread Information