ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Re: Chicago Gathering details

Can someone please post the details (where, when, what) of the Chicago gathering?

TIA!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Lol

LOL I guess you make a good point...I'm flying in we're all going to Chicago---BUT WHERE ARE WE GOING....lemmings I tell you...lemmings lol

Good thread...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Is anyone staying in a hotel downtown? THAT might be a starting point. THe rest will pobably be plaid by ear, it's usually best that way.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Is anyone staying in a hotel downtown? THAT might be a starting point. THe rest will pobably be plaid by ear, it's usually best that way.
    We are staying at the Westin near my favorite place the House of Blues. The only desire by Karen is to go see jazz band late Friday or Saturday night.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

That's a perfect location Loren.

WHat do you guys think of making the Westin Lobby the meeting place, we can always decide where to go from there.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Do we all get to have plaid ears? Or just you?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

WHat do you guys think of making the Westin Lobby the meeting place, we can always decide where to go from there.
    Making the Westin base camp for the activies would be perfect. I'll know where I can go for a bottle of wine after walking all day!!

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Which Westin? Michigan Ave - Dearborne - Clark St- Ohare?
    Nat, AnotherView, and I will be getting downtown in mid morning (Nat's flight arrives around 8) on Saturday. Any suggestions on how to find the rest?

On places to go I'd suggest some time in Millenium park. Just south of that is the Art institute of Chicago. While I don't enjoy their normal photo exhibits that much, the paintings in their collections are fabulous, including may world famous like Seurat's Grande Jatte, Picasso's blue guitar player, American Gothic and others. Their impressionist collection is rated very highly. I enjoy the kinda upscale street photography available within it's halls. There's also an exhibit of chicago architecture there. The AIC wouldn't be that important to me since I get down there once in a while but others might want the opportunity. There's abundant underground parking in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Which Westin? Michigan Ave - Dearborne - Clark St- Ohare?
    Nat, AnotherView, and I will be getting downtown in mid morning (Nat's flight arrives around 8) on Saturday. Any suggestions on how to find the rest?

On places to go I'd suggest some time in Millenium park. Just south of that is the Art institute of Chicago. While I don't enjoy their normal photo exhibits that much, the paintings in their collections are fabulous, including may world famous like Seurat's Grande Jatte, Picasso's blue guitar player, American Gothic and others. Their impressionist collection is rated very highly. I enjoy the kinda upscale street photography available within it's halls. There's also an exhibit of chicago architecture there. The AIC wouldn't be that important to me since I get down there once in a while but others might want the opportunity. There's abundant underground parking in that area.
    I am staying at the Westin River North which is close to the House of Blues.
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

My dilemma is, I don't know when to come down, or whether to stay overnight. I probably couldn't get down there until around 5 or 6 pm on Friday, but if everyone's off doing something then maybe I should wait to come down Saturday. If so, I need to know what time to meet. And then should I stay over till Sunday too? Or is everyone dispersing on Sunday?

ps. My husband isn't coming, but he is worried about my going, because I've never met any of you.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    ps. My husband isn't coming, but he is worried about my going, because I've never met any of you.
    Tell him some of us are worried about meeting you. Remind him that at some point in your life you hadn't met him either.

I'm coming down Saturday. Planning to be in Chicago sometime after 10. My husband was very concerned last year too, since I didn't end up in bags along the highway, he's not so concerned this year.

I'm not staying over, probably will head to the in-laws afterwards...

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I'm coming down Saturday. Planning to be in Chicago sometime after 10. My husband was very concerned last year too, since I didn't end up in bags along the highway, he's not so concerned this year.

I'm not staying over, probably will head to the in-laws afterwards...

adina
    As a meeting point for those who are arriving on Saturday, we meet around 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Westin River North? I'm sure we'll have more ideals of what to do during the Saturday before then.

For those who are there on Friday, you are welcome to join us for Jazz/drinks/whatever.

I can only say that the people who are going to be at Chicago, and also everybody on the board, are some of the nicest people you will meet. You can tell from the responses on the board, and the time given to your answers.

I've met people from PR.com in Paris (Franglais), Simon, from England visited us. Then there is Photo-John, Mr Nice Guy, who runs the show. It's a friendly enviroment that I trust very much.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

my husband is a worry wart

I know he loves me and worries about my safety...because I obviously have no problems getting picked up by two(no offense) "strangers" at an airport and proceeding to go meet a handful of other "strangers" and spend the day with them...LOL

Maybe I should be more cautious but you can assure your hubby that the people you meet are all---- as my hubby put it after meeting everyone in New York (he went to that one because as he put it "there's no way" I was going by myself)...he thought everyone was
    " wonderful" and still thinks these gatherings are really "pretty cool"

It's safe it's fun---and generally most people were more normal than I was LOL

"I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Re: my husband is a worry wart

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    two(no offense) "strangers" at an airport
    Just a little strange - the sense of humor, that is...

One question - anybody heard from Dennis (DSL712)?

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    As a meeting point for those who are arriving on Saturday, we meet around 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Westin River North?
    -Snip-
    Loren
    OK, as I understand it we are meeting here
    http://www.westinchicago.com/
    at 11am.

I'm sending a PM to the six people listed here with my cell # in case it is needed for contact during the day.
    racingpinarello;adina;another view;kellybean;natatbeach;Sebastion.

I'll be picking Nat and Steve (another view) up on the way in.

Are any others coming? Let me know and I'll send you my cell # too.

See you on Saturday.

All I can say is, I wish I could have made this trip. I would love to have met every one of you who are going!! This should be an awesome gathering. I'll be with you all in spirit. I hope that you take lots of photos of each other!!

Have a fantastic time!!
    ~Lara
    Lara

I'm gonna have to get a hold of you guys later on in the afternoon. I have a bunch of stuff to do in the morning...

Looking forward to putting voices with the faces...or something.
    -Seb

My website

my cell is located on my website (http://www.lorencrannell.com) and I am renting a car so I can help drive to locations. I have a GPS driving computer that I am bringing so it can help us find Sebastian when he has time.

Let's meet up at 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Westin and we can make some plans.

See you there!!!

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Thread Information