ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Olympus Users Unite!!!

I have been a Canon user since the day I started taking pictures some 6 years ago, but just 4 days ago I sold my Canon equipment a ordered my first Olympus DSLR, the E-500. There are various reasons for why I did this, and you can read about them here!

Anyway, as a new Olympus user I would like to know who my brethren here on PR are, and I would like to call for the installation of an Olympus/ Four Thirds forum!

So, come on and introduce yourselves. Tell us what you shoot with and why you love it...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Olympus Users Unite!!!

I'm an Olympus user. I'm still getting used to the Four Thirds...

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I'm an Olympus user. I'm still getting used to the Four Thirds...
    That's great Meg! What camera do you have? What lenses? Do you have some pics you can share?

Come on girl, this is all about sharing, and building excitment for Mt. Olympus!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

My e300 was my first dslr. good camera. very reliable. dropped it a **** pile of times and the things flawless except for some noise. but i think after i figure out the firmware update i should be off to t he races. i'm shooting with the 14-45mm stock lens, an 8mm fisheye, and 18-180mm zoom telephoto. i hope that we get a 4/3 fourm. i feel that there are very few olympus users compared to the rest of the market when we can be just as if not more competitive than the rest.

I'm glad to read you've switched from canon. apperantly they sound real badass. but back to what i was going to say... since the 4/3 system is very very new compared to most nikon and canon bayonet systems, it is hard to get specialty lenses cheap. when i was looking for my fisheye i had to search high and low for something that wouldt really work and would be just as expensive as the zuiko alternative anyways.

I'm glad to see some enthusiasm for poor old olympus. i hope to upgrde soon. maybe even have an e400 imported from europe. that would be so badass right there. totally stump all the guys at the camera shops.

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    My e300 was my first dslr. good camera. very reliable. dropped it a **** pile of times and the things flawless except for some noise. but i think after i figure out the firmware update i should be off to t he races. i'm shooting with the 14-45mm stock lens, an 8mm fisheye, and 18-180mm zoom telephoto. i hope that we get a 4/3 fourm. i feel that there are very few olympus users compared to the rest of the market when we can be just as if not more competitive than the rest.

I'm glad to read you've switched from canon. apperantly they sound real badass. but back to what i was going to say... since the 4/3 system is very very new compared to most nikon and canon bayonet systems, it is hard to get specialty lenses cheap. when i was looking for my fisheye i had to search high and low for something that wouldt really work and would be just as expensive as the zuiko alternative anyways.

I'm glad to see some enthusiasm for poor old olympus. i hope to upgrde soon. maybe even have an e400 imported from europe. that would be so badass right there. totally stump all the guys at the camera shops.

Hey!

I have been wanting an e-400 ever since I first saw them! I have always said, I wish somebody made a DSLR that was just like my old Pentax ME Super, and finally Oly has and they are not even going to sell them here sateside...

I read that it is a supply problem, but I still want one. I am going to keep my eyes on Amazon and eBay.

Thanks for the vote for the Oly-4/3s forum! :thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I am going digital soon as I am selling off some old musical equipment that I never use. I had my mind set on a Canon until I read this thread, now I am not so sure. You sure seem to get a lot for your money with the e500. I think the lenes that come with it would do me a lifetime. I could use my old film set up if I wanted a specialty lens. Do the olympus kit lenses have IS and would a new camera already have the filmware update and why was it updated???
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Firmware updates are the norm for any DSLR, but I believe there were some recent noise reductions and HD CF card updates.

I got the E-500 with 14-45, and the 40-150 for $623 at www.beachcamera.com. I have bought cameras with them before and they are pretty much teh cheapest option, and a great company!

There is no OS, and there is a good reason for this. Because of the 4/3 sensor size Oly cameras use lenses that are half the size as 35mm lenses, therefore you get more light at longer FLs and lower f stops. However, according to what I have read about the next gen of E-system cameras there will be an incamera OS system.

I would do a ton of research before I made up my mind, which I did, but there is no doubt that with the E-500 you are getting a lot for your money.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks, I will check beach camera out, but I need someone that will take paypal. I have been looking at B&H photo video and they are in the ballpark with beach camera. What about the IS on the lenses?
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks, I will check beach camera out, but I need someone that will take paypal. I have been looking at B&H photo video and they are in the ballpark with beach camera. What about the IS on the lenses?
    Greg

No OS lenses with Oly, but OS in lenses is really kinda the old way at this point. Look for new Oly modles to have it in camera.

Beach Camera takes PayPal, in fact, PayPal is how I payed them 4 days ago for my new E-500... :thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information