ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My weekend vacation (travel log with lots o pics)

Well my wife and I got to fly out to Utah to see my nephew for a weekend, and as tiring as the trip was, we had a blast! I also took the opportunity to try out a more photojournalist style of photography on the trip.

We left early Friday morning from San Jose to catch a 8:40AM flight from Oakland. My buddy Shane was nice enough to pick us up and drive us to the airport

My wife as we are driving

Yes, almost to the airport!!

Once we finally landed and got down to Lehi, we stopped and got lunch at a small place called Emmett's. My wife & niece are standing there waiting for our food to be ready. The size of the place is also about the size of the town.

Later my parents & wife and me decided to head up the American Fork Canyon to get some photography in. It was fun sliding down/climbing up really steep hills to get the shots that I wanted.

Once we got back to the house, I was treated to the view from the back of the house. Zoomed in shot of the mountain range from the back window.

After that I had to turn the camera off, and focus on the San Jose Sharks hockey game which was starting soon :thumbsup:
    Last edited by jorgemonkey; 04-15-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: My weekend vacation (travel log with lots o pics)

Saturday I talked my dad into waking up at around 6am to drive back up the canyon to get shots with better lighting. We had pretty harsh lighting with the sun the day before, and I wanted morning shots with the sun still behind the mountains still. We were lucky and it was a beautiful day, and the photo gods smiled on me.

Two images were combined to get this shot. One exposed for the sun shining on the mountains, the other for the water

Though not as good, this shot was inspired by the Ansel Adams photograph of the river in Yosemite. I ended up reversing the center column on my tripod so I could hang the camera upside down about 2 inches above the shoreline

A few minutes later this leaf caught my eye, and I took the shot knowing what I was going to do to it in PS

Then we came back home and met up with my mom & wife, and got lunch ready for a picnic

We headed out near Bridal Veil Falls to have our lunch.

This bug caught my eye. He was having fun walking all around a thistle plant.

The wife & I at the falls. I really enjoy that 12-24 F4 lens for self portraits
    Its the only photo I have of the falls, since the sun was above & behind the falls, and photowise there wasn't much I could do with it.

Got a good one of the river though. I was hand holding the camera a few inches above the water for this

Final picture of the trip was a portrait of my wife. I was having fun with the wide angle and low shots
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: My weekend vacation (travel log with lots o pics)

You got some great shots there Jorge. I love the water shots.

Dave

Thread Information