ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The Art of the Road Trip

"Someone" just emailed me to remind me that yes, I can post photos along with all of the other replies I've been doing here too. I guess it's been awhile!

Long story short, but just over a week ago I had from Thursday afternoon until Sunday to go on a road trip. I'd start a few hours north of where I live that afternoon, and hoped to get up to the UP. Since I wasn't free until 3:30 and wouldn't make it to the Lake Superior shorline until after I figured the motel offices would be closed, I decided on Door County Wisconsin. I've been there many times but it's a nice place - especially if it's the off season and you're looking for quiet. So, knowing a fair amount about the area, I decided to take roads I'd looked at but had no idea where they led. You can't really get lost - it's a fairly narrow peninsula. Plenty of gravel roads, too. Same thing for the way back, turning about a 4-1/2 hour drive into about 8... The UP and it's 10 hour drive will have to wait (again). This would have been the time to see the huge hawk migration too - and probably some snow as well.

Anyway, some pictures. First is the north end of Hwy 42. You can almost drive in a straight line and watch the lines go from side to side as you go through the curves - almost like vertigo (not that I'd try such a thing). Second is this strange table sitting a long ways from someone's house on a hill. Always thought about photographing it, so I did. Third is Pilot Island, on the edge of a crossing known as Death's Door. The island has restricted access (even more without a boat!) and the lighthouse is in sad shape, but it's seen a lot of violent storms and shipwrecks over the years.

My best work? Not really but it was good to get "out" and shoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Art of the Road Trip-hwy-42.jpg   The Art of the Road Trip-table.jpg   The Art of the Road Trip-pilot.jpg  

Re: The Art of the Road Trip

OK, a couple more. First, I'm pretty happy with my new Sigma 10-20 zoom. Handles flare pretty well, don't you think? Second, a door (how appropriate) in a Norwegian chapel - 10mm came in handy. Third, sometimes you walk a long ways out to a point, and what you were going to photograph just doesn't work - but maybe something else will.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Art of the Road Trip-stairs.jpg   The Art of the Road Trip-door.jpg   The Art of the Road Trip-rocks.jpg  

I love the second one from each set. Especially the first second one. First set. So surreal.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks, "someone"!

I thought that all of the times I've driven by it. Why is it there? I had to put the camera 1' off the ground so you don't see the house behind the hill - but it's still a long ways away.

The door is awesome too, could use just a tad bit of contrast though if you make a print.

BTW, thanks for blowing my cover. Was it retaliation for speaking out against your war?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Steve, there's all these weird "color" things attached to your typing. You outta have that looked into!

I like the island lighting, the door is cool and the water flowing looks very refreshing! Nice to get out and hit the road. I always look forward to bumping along on the backroads

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Some pretty cool images there Steve! They make me want to go explore Door Cty. I have never been there, but have always wanted to go. I think Amy has this weekend off, and with the WI gathering being postponed, perhaps a quick weekend get-a-way is in order, after we take care of some wedding stuff Sat. morning.

Thanks for Sharing.

Update: Just realized Mothers Day is this weekend and Amy has finals to study for. Next weekend should be smooth sailing tho. Any recomendations on places to go, and stay?
    Last edited by mjs1973; 05-09-2006 at 05:25 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    BTW, thanks for blowing my cover. Was it retaliation for speaking out against your war?
    War against the resurgence of Disco? Can't remember which one, there are so many...

Thanks for the kind words. Mike, a lot of Door County opens back up 5/1 and the rest of it mid-month. I'd try to make reservations but you could probably find plenty of places without. Since I was there on a Friday night, I had to stop at the Sister Bay bowling alley for pan fried Perch, but get there early!

For hotels, it depends on where you want to stay. Sturgeon Bay is the biggest town but it's at the south end of the peninsula. Stone Harbor Resort is a really nice place right on the canal, and Inn at Cedar Crossing has great food. This time I stayed farther up at a simple but clean motel in Sister Bay, Coachlight Inn. They're open year-round and very reasonable. Lots of good places, really. PM me with what you're looking for and I can give you more specifics.

If you're into wilderness camping, check out Newport State Park at the north end of the peninsula or even Rock Island which will take some time to get to by two separate ferries. These would be my first choice...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Yeah that second one of the first set is WONDERFUL!
    It's very simple composition, that's what I like about it!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Lovely shots AV,

It's nice to see what you work on when you are not working -- if that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Hey Steve,

We just got back from spending the weekend in Door Cty. It was a first for both of us. Thanks for the info on hotels. I did check them out and even found one that was dog friendly at a reasonable rate, owned by the same people who run the Coachlight Inn. We opted for camping instead tho. We stayed at Peninsula State Park. It wasn't verry busy there and was pretty nice. A little chilly at night, (high 30's, low 40's) but not bad.

Friday afternoon we spent exlporing the park on foot with the dogs. Saturday moring we jumped in the car and headed to Newport SP to do some more hiking. It was really quite there. The rest of the day we explored in the car. We saw the table and chairs that you posted, as well as curvy section of Hwy 42. We decided not to spend the $ to go over to Washington Island. Perhaps next time. We also hit some of the lighthouses, Whitefish Dunes SP and a couple of County Parks. We also hit the 3 Rustic Roads in the county. I didn't think they were as senic as the ones we have here in the driftless area tho. Perhaps I'm just bias to my own neck of the woods, but I don't find a road with a driveway every 100' leading to a million dollar house on the lake very rustic.

I am curious to know how you got your shot of Pilot Island. Did you take your kyak with you? Looking at the map, it looks like it's too far to see from one of the main islands but that rock wall you have in the FG makes me wonder...

Photographically, the trip wasn't all that successfull for me, but it was fun, and that was the main goal for the weekend. Anyway, thanks for the info on places to stay, and the inspiration to take the trip. We are looking forward to going again in the future and taking more time to explore.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mike, glad you enjoyed your trip. The Pilot Island shot was taken from the Northport ferry pier (concrete so it doesn't move with long shutter speeds at low light like in my shot). It was shot at 200mm on my DSLR. Didn't have the kayak because of very cold water up there at that point (and it probably would have been a little tacky on the roof of my car in a funeral procession...).

Peninsula State Park is usually booked solid for most of the year so I'd say you got very lucky. Newport is my favorite and more likely to have openings during the summer. I've hiked along the beach at night with only the light of the night sky including the very visible Milky Way - great experience.

Washington Island doesn't have much but still worth checking out. You'll need a car or bicycles to get around - it's pretty big. If you have the extra time to get there, camping at Rock Island which is past Washington Island is very cool. Backpack sites right along the open water, oldest lighthouse in Wisconsin, stone buildings, etc. Another ferry will take you the short distance from Washington to Rock where no cars or bikes are allowed.

Any trip can be productive or not photographically - but you probably have ideas for next time. Feel free to PM if I can help.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Are you sure hawks are still migrating ;) They are, I am just busting on you. Your best bet for hawks is fall migration though ;) say late september for the broudwinged flights(many thousands a day on good days)

Those are some great images you've taken !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

We were going to go over to Washington Island, but when we found out that the $23 for the car, didn't include the passengers, we opted not to go.

A lot of the campgrounds at Peninsula SP weren't even open yet. I was a little surprised by that. I'm sure within a week or two, it will start to get pretty packed. I'm glad we were able to go when we did.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information