ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photoshop Elements any good?

I can't afford full on Photoshop, but am looking for something a little more in depth than what I use in iPhoto on my Mac for post processing and edting.

Is Elements worth it? If not, something else <$100?

Thanks

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Photoshop Elements any good?

I use elements 6.0 and think it works good but don't have any experience with other editing programs.
    I've recently been made aware of this free editing but have not tried it. http://www.getpaint.net/
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I use PSE 5, I can't see spending the big $ for the full on version.
    Jimmy B

I've been using Elements since version 2. In fact I still use PSE 2.0 for some things because it has some features that have been discontinued but that I really like. And then I use PSE 5 for the rest of my jpeg editing.

I have Elements 6.0 and can't fault it. Mind you, I haven't used anything else either so I guess my comment is a little biased.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Are you shooting RAW? Do you have a Nikon? If yes to both, check out NX2 - it's what I use and really like it. If you have another brand of camera, PSE should do just fine and pair that with the camera mfr's software to convert RAW files first (if you're shooting this way). Scott Kelby's Photoshop books were a big help to me too.

Just a suggestion you can go to the Adobe site and download Elements7 for a free 30 day trial to see if you like it. I would also try the free 30day trial of Lightroom 2.1 it really helps out on the work flow. Also Gimp2 is free software which gives you quite a lot of editing features.

Ray Still

Elements is a magnificent program, and has 95% of everything an amateur photographer will ever really need. The full CS is a LOT more expensive and contains a lot of features designed for professionals in all kinds of graphic fields. I can't recommend it highly enough (I use 5.0 myself). The other alternative in this price point is PaintShopPro, which some people like too.

Alternatively, if you want something free and you really don't mind a steep learning curve, try The Gimp (you can google it) - very powerful but public domain with no manuals or support.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Are you shooting RAW? Do you have a Nikon? If yes to both, check out NX2 - it's what I use and really like it. If you have another brand of camera, PSE should do just fine and pair that with the camera mfr's software to convert RAW files first (if you're shooting this way). Scott Kelby's Photoshop books were a big help to me too.
    With the latest Camera Raw file, PSE6 or 7 converts the RAW files directly - at least from Canon and Sony. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Elements is a great program that gives a lot of bang for the buck. I use pse 6.0. I'm considering upgraded to CS4 because it would help when I have a huge work flow. If I didn't have to edit hundreds of pics in one sitting I don't think I would upgrade.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdirtfreak
    I've been using Elements since version 2. In fact I still use PSE 2.0 for some things because it has some features that have been discontinued but that I really like. And then I use PSE 5 for the rest of my jpeg editing.
    I upgraded from 2.0 to 6.0. I sure miss the shortcut to the lighting adjustment in 6.0. Grrrrrrrrrr.....
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JoshD
    I can't afford full on Photoshop, but am looking for something a little more in depth than what I use in iPhoto on my Mac for post processing and edting.

Is Elements worth it? If not, something else <$100?

Thanks
    Hey Josh,

My wife bought me Elements 2.0 when I got into photography. A year or two back, I bought Elements 5.0 and it was a nice improvement over 2.0.

Currerntly Elements 7.0 is out, and can be found at Sam's Club for $80. It is definitely a worthwhile investment. I would recommend it to anyone short of a pro.

While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of CS 2 (or 3 or 4) it should do everything you would reasonably want to do. The main advantage to CS 2 is Abode Raw which lets you process multiple RAW files at a time instead of one at a time. If you shoot a lot in RAW, start saving now for the upgrade.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information