ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: hi, i'm new

hi, i'm new

Hello all,

i've been an aspiring photographer for 2-3 years now. well maybe an amateur photographer. i'm self taught in that time and have learned alot. i started out with an used nikon n2000 after disposable cameras jsut wouldn't do for me. i love that camera, but last summer i bought a canon 1s is to help me learn. i have taken well over 9000 pictures with the digital since. and jsut recently my nikon refuses to turn on( not sure whats wrong or if i will get it fixed). so i'm planning on saving for a dslr, hopefully a d200 but maybe just a d70s (any info on which? i'm not sure i can get the $1700 for a while).

I'm a biologists so most of my pics are nature related, although i've branched in to landscapes since i've been in Utah all summer.

anyways i'm a very hard critique on my own pictures and hope to learn to take much better photographs by joining this forum so feel free to bash my pictures at will as long as its in a learning kind of way.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Re: hi, i'm new

Hey Dylan. Maybe the Nikon has gone out in sympathy due to neglect ;)

nope i had used it a week before, finished a roll of film. and then i took a trip to Bryce, loaded a roll of film, turned it on to forward the film and it didn't turn on, it won't meter or show any electrical signs of life at all. i replaced the batteries and checked for corosion on the terminals (former problem).
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Hi Dylan,

First off, welcome to the PR.com family. We all look forward to seeing your photography.

Now, in regards to your choosing a dSLR, both of the bodies you mention are fantastic. You obviously won't go wrong with the d200, but don't let that sway you from the d70. I think that body is an excellent bargain for the price and it will be a camera you likely won't out grow for years to come. Also, the kit lenses you can get with it are very good as well. I have seen many wonderful pictures on this site taken with that gear.

Hope that helps.
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! I wish I was all up on the older Nikon automatic film cameras but my film camera knowledge is limited and is mainly restricted to the old manual models and the most recent film models. If you have a digital question i'm your guy though. I've used most of the Nikons out there, I started with a D70, i've used the D50, have one of the first d200s, a D2HS, and i've used the D2X as well. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to fire away!

I'm the recently appointed moderator of the Nikon forum here. They don't want everyone to know ;) but my biggest role in this job is to make sure that all the questions get answered completely and accurately. I do my best to get this done, so you can be sure that if you have a question and it is possible for me to find an answer, I'll find one for you- whether it be by my own experience and trial and error or by consulting other resources.

So feel free to post your questions or PM (or instant message) me if you'd like- I'm always checking.

Best,

Harrison
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information