ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

The Tragedy of St. Sara's

It was a warm spring evening as I finally pulled into the parking lot outside the coffee house I was to meet a long time Internet friend and fellow explorer Sara. When I had left Canada the early morning before it was cold and snowing, now I had just driving through sun and warm weather the three hours from Louisville to Nashville.

We decided that dinner could wait as the sun was just right and casting a beautiful warm glow on the structure. The church itself was fairly unassuming, nothing about it said that it was a church, without looking closely you'd think it was some sort of library.

The first few doors yielded no entry, and since it's located in the middle of a residential area and there were others around, we quickly checked out the manse (where the pastor lived) first before taking a bolder approach and going in through a front door. It worked.

The amount of stuff left was staggering, considering the condition of the building, aside from some water damage, the building itself seemed to be in good condition. But what really burned me was that the congregation was still around, and they left everything behind. Books, electronics, pianos, and even the memorial stained glass windows.

But oddly enough I felt a strange connection to this church. As their story is similar to the story of my church recently. An aging building with roof damage, and a shrinking congregation and not able to pay for the upkeep. My church thankfully was able to raise the funds to keep and repair our building. And thankfully the Hobson church was able to keep going in a new building.

Thankfully, this beautiful building is to be saved from the wreaking ball, the original civil war era structure and the 1929 sanctuary are designated historic buildings.

To read more about the church's history: How We Became Hobson

To read more about the next phase in the building's story: Development planned near historic East Nashville church

Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm 1:2.8G
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: The Tragedy of St. Sara's

Nice photos and history.

Thread Information